German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When are we too old for getting a GSD puppy? I hate the idea of waking up one day and realizing that there are limits for certain breeds to own.

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
are you referring to the fact that you might die of old age before yr pup does or that you will be to weak/frail too handle a certain type of dog??

if it is the first question and assuming you die of old age and not prematurely good forward planning, if it is the second depends on yr health - i don't believe it takes much physical ability to manage a high drive dog if you are an experienced trainer.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Hopefully never. :) There is a gentleman training in a club in our region that has to be 89 (I remember when he turned 86, but not which year). He got a new puppy last year. He has been doing regionals every year with his other dog. He needs help in tracking and doesn't always have the best trials, but he still trains and still titles his dogs. They give him a reason to go on.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've hit the age where I face this problem. Currently I'm down to three Hooligans ... Slider who's 10-1/2, Bruiser who will be 8 the first week in April, and Faith who's 5. I'm not sure if I want to have one or two dogs, only time will tell.

My current plans are to get older dogs, retired breeding dogs, etc. in the future WITH the agreement that if/when something happens to me, the breeder will take him back and either keep him or help find another home for him.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I think 'old' is only one part of it. For me, it's health. Grim was a challenge, but still turned out OK. I have help, though. I think I could do one more without issue. Depends on how things go.... maybe I'll hold out longer than I think I will! ;) It also depends on the 'type' of pup. I'm just now trying dog sport, and I'm not at the top of my game. There are a couple of older people at the club I go to. Maybe the guy is who Lisa's referring to, IDK. It makes me happy that even the older folks will do what makes them happy!! Just have a plan... you always need to have a plan no matter how young you are!

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
the suckful thing about aging is knowing or realising OK that is the last football game i will ever play in life, that is last time i will ever......, when you commenced whatever activity at an early age and it made a major part of yr life experiences it is hard to let go, but let go you must or it will be ripped from you anyway, always good to have a say in it if you can. i felt my vertabrae go crunch in a football match and i cried, not cos of the pain (there wasn't any) but cos i knew that it was over forever.

of course some activities you basically just get better and better at the longer you do it regardless of yr physical status (within reason), i think dog training is almost one of those activities that are quiet doable in old age, maybe not decoying tho :)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
The last Shepherd I raised from a pup is 11. I'm think I'm going to be rescuing the older ones from now on. :) Shepherd puppies are a handful. I do have a lab mix puppy but she is a breeze compared to shepherd puppies. I might change my mind if the right pup comes along, you never know. (I think it would have to be a white one) :D

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
if you love the sport side of it one could always get into an admin role or judging, mentor etc - age can only be an advantage and you potentially could have a positive influence on the breed you love and new trainers that will be yr legacy for decades long after you could not pick up a leash anymore.....or not.

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that you will be to weak/frail too handle a certain type of dog??

if it is the first question and assuming you die of old age and not prematurely good forward planning,
Yeah, that's the one. Getting purebreds from breeders that will take them back , no matter what, is the best way to go I think. I am a trainer but you need a certain strength for raising pups. Retired breeding dogs seem like a good idea. Old age is a long way from now (MHO :) but it was a shock one day when I realized that I could not have the dogs I would like to own one day. Anyways, WD keeps me young for now and I still plan a pup when he is 2 or 3 years old.

·
Registered
27,315 Posts
I always judge my age by the 'do I have another dog in me' stage. I was at a workshop last summer with an 85 yr old woman who traveled to Europe to buy her dobe that she was working. The dog didn't target right and nailed her wrist...causing a huge bruising goose egg(and blood). She was a huge inspiration to me...I hope I can be like her at that age.

When we age our skin gets thin....I don't want thin skin!
I hope I have at least one more dog in me.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was sure when I got my dog that she'd be my last puppy. But I feel younger now than when I got her! I am really glad she is grown up however, puppies are a lot of work! No plans for another puppy, but you never know what life will bring....

When I was new to SAR I was a flanker one day for a man doing a wilderness training search with his dog, I believe he was around 90 years old! He was pretty good at it!! I sure hope I can keep going that long! :wild:

·
Registered
27,315 Posts
sssssssssssssst....eye candy would rate more than zero, tho!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Grim's prey drive is low. I like it. He sits and watches a flock of birds fly by overhead.. just studying them I guess. My previous male would've nearly broken a hip jumping up at them. There's crazy pup, and then there's controlled crazy pup. I prefer the latter now. :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I don't think there's ever a 'too old' point for anything, honestly. I worked out with a woman who got her Black Belt in Tae Kwon-Do at 90. I would love to have GSDs until the day I die, but I would probably start adopting older dogs once I got to the point where the two mile hike is too much for my body.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
serious question for sure - as unpopular/selfish/whatever as it will sound my dogs will be euthed on my passing.

judge al moan all you want, my dogs, my choice.
Yeah, your dogs and your choice. However... it makes me very sad to think of someone doing that. What is your reasoning?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts