German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in March, I found out that the breeder we were going to get our next GSD puppy from didn't have a litter. No big deal; we were okay with waiting.

My Husband and I went to the Fire Department a few days later to hang out. I went outside to go to the car and I noticed a plastic bag sitting on the bench. I went and picked up the back, planning on throwing it away as I walked past the dumpster. I looked inside out of pure curiosity and inside I found three little puppies who looked like they were barely a few weeks old.

We immediately took the puppies to the vet where we discovered one had already passed away. The vet was sure that the other two weren't going to make it, but we asked the vet to call us and update us when she could; those puppies had an entire fire station pulling for them!

Within a few days, the remaining two puppies seemed to be on the right track. Now it was time to find a fur-ever home. One of the puppies, a little boy Pomeranian, went quickly, but the remaining girl Pom couldn't get a sponsor, foster/rescue, or fur-ever home. We all pitched in our pennies as we could to help the vet pay for her care and boarding and we bought food, toys, and other good things that any good puppy needs.

As it neared her discharge date, still no one was willing to claim the little girl. I kept telling my husband we couldn't; I wanted to wait for the perfect little GSD puppy that I wanted and was waiting for...then my heart started to turn. I would stop in to check on her and just spend a few minutes with her, and she was just so full of love and life.

We decided about two weeks ago that we couldn't just let her go to a shelter...she was coming home to us.

We picked up our little girl today. I would like to introduce Abeni the Little Warrior, aka Abi!

We've already had two accidents (does not potty w/o being on a leash. Figured that out and we've been good so far. Potty breaks every 2 hours!) and she is a Piranah! We've been re-directing her little puppy teeth all day.

I know this means we have to wait for a while for our GSD puppy, but we couldn't be happier. She is a perfect addition to our home.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
She's adorable :wub: I'm glad you were able to save them, some people make me sick :(

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Awe she is adorable, congrats, and yes things do happen for a reason and Im glad she had someone caring enough to help her out

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, everyone. It's been interesting; I think her bladder is the size of a peanut and her colon is no bigger than a piece of spaghetti, but we've had no accidents today, just a very close near miss. She doesn't give much in the way of signs; she was playing with a toy and she tooted up her butt to poop.

I am enjoying the fact that a lap around the backyard equates to tiring her out, though.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Congrats on the new fur ball!!!!

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
She could not possibly be any cuter. I hope you have many, many happy healthy years together!

Thanks for saving her life!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Oh she is cute..so tiny, but such a fighter:)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She has been spending the day being just loved on and all over. I want to take her out and about, but obviously we are waiting until 16 weeks. I let her meet the neighbors and she did great.

The pink collar you see on her is too big. Fun trip to Petco for more puppy toys and a harness.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm so happy you were the one to notice the bag; at least two of them were able to hang in there! R.I.P. little puppy who didn't make it!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Aw, she's cute and very fortunate that you found her! Thanks for letting her join your family :)

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The one who passed was very, very tiny. I wouldn'tve been surprised if Mama Dog rejected it for some reason like not being able to eat herself, therefore not being able to make enough milk.

She's just doing so awesome. She's such a spunky little girl. She hasn't stopped yet!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts