German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I was wondering if you could please weigh in on this question. In your experience, do you normally see the actual day of birthing on day 59, 60, 61, 62, or 63??
Is there an average, optimal, normal, usual, etc. etc. ??

I was just wondering. My girl is due sometime this weekend or early next week. This is her 3rd litter. She has historically had her litters around day 61 but I was wondering if I should expect that again or what the norm is.

Thank you so much!

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
A lot of the perceived variance is due to breeders counting days from when the female was bred, rather than ovulation. Whelping will usually happen 63 days after ovulation, but that may be a few days before the breedings and unless blood testing was done to pinpoint the actual day of ovulation there is always more guesswork involved in picking the day of whelp when going off when she was bred.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
Both of my girls went 63 days from last breeding in all of their litters including when we had a date of ovulation.

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
Friend of mine's bitch always went 59 days from last breeding.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for your responses. I really appreciate it. I need to keep learning and researching! I'm not sure of ovulation date, but I had been counting from the day of the first tye with the male, not the last day they mated, so again I could be days off. Saturday is 59 days from the first tye so I should probably start taking temperature tomorrow morning? And, is it accurate that the temp will drop and when it does you are 12 to 24 hours until the birthing starts? Again, thank you so much for taking the time to look at your records and educate me. :) As always, I am grateful for all of you here.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Never too early to start temp records, morning and night! That way you'll have a solid field of comparison. Some bitches are lower temp in the morning and higher at night naturally, or visa versa. Knowing that upfront will really make your job easier. :)
I love Myra Savant Harris' "Canine Reproduction and Whelping" book, in which she tells the reader over a dozen times that your dog WILL WHELP 63 days after ovulation. She's not shy about it, haha!

·
Super Moderator
18,681 Posts
I usually start taking temps around day 57.

Marbury, and she is not 100% accurate. Did an AI breeding 2, 3 and 4 days after ovulation and Nike whelped 63 days after the last breeding. Did a breeding 2 days after ovulation and Vala whelped 63 days after ovulation (daughter of the other female). Also we did a breeding with Nike with no known ovulation date and she whelped 63 days from ovulation. Both of these females whelped 63 days after the last breeding even when we knew the date of ovulation. Vala's last litter she actually went over 63 days, but she had a small litter, her labor was never normal and she ended up having a section. Her second litter, though, she whelped 63 days from her last breeding which was 2 days after ovulation.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you again. I am going on Amazon right now and look for the book by Harris. :) I will start taking temp tonight and then take twice daily from now on. I am really thinking we are not having pups this weekend but next week. She bred 4 days in a row and Saturday is the 59th day from that first breeding. I dont' know the Ovulation date so if I count 59 from the last day of breeding that would be next Wednesday, sooooo, if she comes on 63 after last breeding we could be looking at weekend after next. Yikes.....I need temps! Thanks for your input and also the book resource. I appreciate the mentoring so much. I will post when the pups come. Any other book resources you would suggest please let me know. I am like a sponge when I come on this forum!!!! Just soaking in all the knowledge and can.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update: She went into labor 61 days from the first mating and gave birth to 12 beautiful and healthy pups! 12!!!! That is an awful lot to take care of! I am going to post a new thread asking about suppliments and raising such a large litter. Anyoo, thanks to all those that chimed in.
Peace~

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
holey moley 12 !!! can you just imagine what it's gonna be like in about 3-4 weeks! LOL..Congrats !

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know Jacoda! 12 is mind boggling! In four weeks when they grow out of their whelping box my hands will really be full!!!!! I am frankly suprised that they are all doing as well as they are. She is a great mother and has figured out how to feed them 6 at a time. I have never done a fall litter (always just Spring) so when they turn 4 weeks old I put them outside but it will be too cold so I will have to build a "playpen" in 1/2 of the garage with a yard adjacent to run in. I think that way, I can keep them warm and out of the weather, but still access to the sunshine when it's nice.

They are so beautiful!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts