German Shepherds Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have any whelping box plans you would be willing to share? Cost of building the box? Have any of you opted to BUY a box instead? If so, where did you get your box from, what was the cost, and how has it held up?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I just use a kiddie swimming pool. The plastic is very easy to clean and disinfect. I move the pups out of it when they are about 3 weeks old. That is when they will start climbing out of it. They go to a pen where they have a litter box to potty in. You can put an ex-pen around the outside of the swimming pool and hang sheets over it to give the dam more of a closed in 'den' type setting. Also put a top over it to keep drafts out and keep everyone cozy.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Hey there :)
I've been looking at building one for awhile now and I found some nice plans online:
Whelping Box Construction Plans Very detailed. Feedback page has lots of happy reviews so I will probably do this. My breeder has something similar to this and it works really well.
How to Build a Whelping Box for Your Dog - Page 1
Building a Whelping Box The Easy Way

Couple of ready made ones I have been considering:
"Whelping Boxes" Dura-Whelp® the Original PROFESSIONAL whelping box. Dura Whelp boxes. This is the ready made one I've seen most people use. Price is pretty good and they have lots of other whelping items for sale.
Prices & Product Page seems expensive though...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
The first link? I really like all the detail and good reviews, but part of me just wants to chicken out and buy a ready made one! I think I will have to just get the materials and do it when I have some down time. It looks really well planned and constructed.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
The first link? I really like all the detail and good reviews, but part of me just wants to chicken out and buy a ready made one! I think I will have to just get the materials and do it when I have some down time. It looks really well planned and constructed.
Yes...it's really a nice one...I like the seating on all 4 sides....and the handles. Nicely sanded, no sharp corners. Also, you can take the front portion off and pigrails when weaning if using an xpen around it. IMO, this was the best, most economical one . ( Less than half of the ones online) . We made ours 5'x5' and raised height to 24". Really nice.
( NOTE: Don't use pressure treated wood...toxic)

Didn't get a chance to use ours though.
Our female lost all her pups and had to have emergency spay...:(
So, now it's just been taken apart and stored away.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dawn, not comfortable with using a swimming pool due to the lack of pigrails. Don't want the risk of squished puppies, not matter show unlikely it seems. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Thanks to the rest of you as well!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I have a jonart whelping box and it cost me over $500. Yes, it has stood up to the challenge.

I bought a 4' square wood box off of e-bay for $99. It is only 18 inches high, and has no bottom, but comes with a shower curtain that did not make it through the nesting stage. But, the box did do the job quite effectively, until Jabba started walking -- he was so big he was about 3 weeks old before he was good at it, and within days he was going right over the 18 inch sides.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I was using a home-made box. Decided to buy a Dura-Whelp. Like the Dura-Whelp a lot. Comes with floor cover that is velcroed in place. Easily changed and washable. Easy to disinfect/clean. Best part is that it can be boxed up and stored until needed again. It has pig rails and plenty of room for Mom and pups.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Hmmmm. Pictures:
Jonart, has pig rails and is easy to lean, and has a floor and comes with a vinyl 4'x4' sheet, very sturdy and expensive:

Wood e-bay box, has pig rail, isn't really all that bad to lean, and worked just fine, for the first couple of weeks:

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Putting the little thing together was no trouble either. It has holes and wing nuts and the the sides were labeled Front, Back, Left, Right. No tools necessary. Yes, the shower curtain wasn't worth it, but I suppose you could use a small tarp to protect your floor. My floor in that room is linoleum covering concrete and I just put papers over it and, once Babs stopped spewing, the litter box liner fake lambswool thingy.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My husband built a 4 x 4 whelping box several years ago and it has stood the test of time. It has a 4 x 4 sheet of plywood as the base that we then put linoleum tiles on to cover and waterproof it. The sides are 18 inches tall and we used two boards so that we could put a hinge on the front so that the mother could get in and out easily for the first two weeks. Once the puppies have opened their eyes, the front is closed and bolted. Mom can still jump in and out, but the babies can't get out easily. The whelping box sits in a 4 x 8 PVC puppy pen, so there is no danger of the babies getting in to danger if one of them is especially adventurous at an early age. The sides are painted in several layers of latex paint and not difficult to clean. The pig rails are made from PVC pipe and can be taken apart for storage quite easily. They also clean up with a paper towel and spray cleaner very quickly. The finishing touch was a set of wheels on the bottom and it makes the box easy to move.

The one downside is storage. The box itself does not come apart, but we just store it in our garage and cover with a tarp until it is needed again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.