German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just curious what your daily routine is for your 8 week old...

I try to avoid putting my pup in the crate unless I'm gone for an hour or two or sleeping...But i've been reading past threads and people say that they'd play for ten minutes and then back in the crate for an hour.

Any insight?

·
Registered
307 Posts
6AM Walk, feed puppy

6:30 Walk puppy

6:45 Crate puppy so we can do morning things

7:45 Walk puppy, then go to work (me)

8:45 husband walks puppy and then goes to work

12PM Husband came home to walk and feed puppy, play with him

2PM Another walk, then crate

5PM husband home to walk and play with pup

6PM I'm home, feed dog and walk him

6:30 crate puppy

Between 6 and 9 PM he is at any time being played with, being taken out or in his crate depending on what we need to be doing.

9 PM Take water away

9:15 Take dog out

10PM Take dog out again, then crate for night

Every few hours take pup out at night regardless of if he is awake and crying or sleeping. Get him to go to the bathroom outside and praise him when he does. Do not play with him or stimulate him otherwise. It is time for sleep, so when he is done eliminating put him back in the crate to sleep.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Try looking at this a little different. You're trying too hard to shape everything around what you're thinking he needs, when its better if you stick to your routine and let him learn that. The problem is falling into the habit of reacting constantly to him and thinking you need to entertain and tire him, he'll get dependent on it, or at least enjoy it so much, he'll never want to settle down.

·
Registered
307 Posts
A+

Try looking at this a little different. You're trying too hard to shape everything around what you're thinking he needs, when its better if you stick to your routine and let him learn that. The problem is falling into the habit of reacting constantly to him and thinking you need to entertain and tire him, he'll get dependent on it, or at least enjoy it so much, he'll never want to settle down.
This is EXCELLENT advice. You have to take into account the puupy's bathroom and feeding needs, obviously, but Steve is dead-on. Help your pup adjust to your lifestyle and be more independent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts