German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone's biggest weakness with their dogs? Something you know you let your dogs get away with more than you should.

i let my dogs jump all over me when i get home from work. i also lets the dogs go nuts searching for crumbs on the carpet like crackheads after eating in the living room. wife sees otherwise but i melt when i see them happy to see me and if i did drop any crumbs i like having an automatic vacuum cleaner the get any morsels of food that may have fallen.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
even after making a sandwich on the kitchen counter, if i make a mess of crumbs, rather than collect them up in my hand or a paper towel and move to the trash i just brush them to the floor. i have dogs that'll get'em.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Aw what an insightful question ;) hopefully it'll catch on!

I'm guilty of feeding anything that I eat (granted it's doggie safe). Guilty of letting Zeeva shred paper and cardboard boxes to the point of slobbery, vomit-like mess on the carpet; I can't help but watch her enjoy herself because she doesn't have very many toys. Guilty of giving empty yogurt cups, water bottles (crunchies!) and other random food containers to play with under supervision.

Like you, I'm also guilty of letting them fuss over me when I get home. After all, love is how your dog greets you at the door! ;)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Really, Kaiju could be much more polite greeting people at the door. He generally sits, but he also squawks and honks super loud because he's so excited. Sometimes I feel like I should teach him to wait quietly, but the silly little sounds he makes are just so darn adorable and he's not doing them to be annoying, he just so happy to see people! :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Aw what an insightful question ;) hopefully it'll catch on!

I'm guilty of feeding anything that I eat (granted it's doggie safe). Guilty of letting Zeeva shred paper and cardboard boxes to the point of slobbery, vomit-like mess on the carpet; I can't help but watch her enjoy herself because she doesn't have very many toys. Guilty of giving empty yogurt cups, water bottles (crunchies!) and other random food containers to play with under supervision.

Like you, I'm also guilty of letting them fuss over me when I get home. After all, love is how your dog greets you at the door! ;)
I can't resist giving my pup my food that is dog safe either. It's a good diet for me, right? I never eat as much as I put on my plate! LOL Samson doesn't obnoxiously beg though. When I am sitting at the table, he quietly walks over and puts one of those sweet gigantic soft paws on one of my legs and has the sweetest look on his face! I can't say no! Now I am sure I have trained this behavior though. Oh well...it's better than begging and putting his nose all over my food.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I like this thread :) My biggest weakness is not calling Gunther off of my husband when he's attacking his feet in the chair. I'm too busy laughing until I can't breathe to rescue my husband.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mystique loves giving wet puppy kisses all over people's face. I know most think it's gross and I have to wash my face afterwards, but she's so excited and happy to give kisses. I could do without the slobber, though.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have been told by my adult children that I spoil Roxy --- I think they are just jealous :) I guess I am going to have to go with the people food too...not too much and she doesn't beg...but I do offer her "tastes" once in awhile.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have been told by my adult children that I spoil Roxy --- I think they are just jealous :) I guess I am going to have to go with the people food too...not too much and she doesn't beg...but I do offer her "tastes" once in awhile.
One of my adult kids thinks we treat the dogs better than we treated her and her brother. I think it's probably true. Dogs got worked fed and watered before kids every single day. Dogs never mouthed off, slammed doors or stormed around the house in anger, though...hmmm

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine would be the dogs greeting people especially family when they visit. They always are excited to see me and I love walking in the door and being greeted with kisses and tails wagging. I think leaving work at lunch to go let them out keeps my blood pressure down. As far as family, they all calm down nicely once they greet everyone. It's not as bad one dog at a time, but all six are in on the action. I tell people to sit down when they come in. If they don't like it they don't have to come over. The dogs are a big part of my life and give me lots of joy, the sooner people accept that, well then the better it is:)

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Mine would have to be finding the noises my dog makes after the "Quiet" command absolutely hilarious, to the point that I'm laughing so hard that I'm encouraging him. Last week my neighbors had 200 folding chairs on their lawn, to clean them, since they do party rentals. My dog will always give a few barks when he sees people outside, which is exactly what I want. After the "Quiet" command, he'll switch to puffs of air to comply, but he just can't stop himself from the "Puh puh puh!" Last week, with the sea of white chairs, he was pushed too far, and "puh" wouldn't cut it for him. Look at that! That's weird! What's all that?! So after the few barks, he was making these really loud "Rawl rawl rawl!" sounds, and it was cracking me up! No wonder he's so loud.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Love this thread.. much less threatening than some others :p I let Titan on the couch.. for the longest time he was not allowed except when invited.. then when I''d be by myself, he'd just crawl up without asking.. and I'd let it.. he now does this regularly..

hmm.. probably sharing my banana with him while I'm in the kitchen.. lol. That and pizza crust... *sigh* :rolleyes:

oh.. annnnd when I hear a strange noise... "Titan.. What's that???" As he then perks up and stares at me and does a little huff (you know.. like Blanket said.. those "puh, puh, puh" barks) Then he runs around the house huffing and puffing until he has sufficiently checked things out... Probably doesn't help the "quiet" command at all. Go mom.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I get that too. They call Dex "mamas boy" because he follows me around and mayyyybe I spoil him a little I think they are jealous as My first questions to them when I get home, is , did they feed him and take him for a walk yet? So now when I get home I usually hear" before u ask we already walked and fed the BABY "

My weakness is I let him and my other dogs on the no dog couch when the kids aren't there ,shhhhhh, and let them on my bed.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If I don't bring Traveler to work with me that day, I call my husband at home during my lunch hour. He gets mad that I ask "How is Traveler" long before I get to the "Oh, and how is your day going?" ;)

·
Registered
732 Posts
My latest craze is after having trained Athena not to stand up on the side of the kennel (she is in this when we are outside and unable to keep an eye on her..) she stands on her hind legs and does not touch the kennel. The sight of her toddling around trying to keep an eye on me is hilarious! My boyfriend is not impressed and says that she is defying me and still completing the motion I scolded her for but I argue back that she is still obeying and not touching the kennel any longer... btw she is almost my height when she does this so to walk into the kennel and have her stand almost looking me in the eye is an intriging/odd experience...

·
Registered
483 Posts
My latest craze is after having trained Athena not to stand up on the side of the kennel (she is in this when we are outside and unable to keep an eye on her..) she stands on her hind legs and does not touch the kennel. The sight of her toddling around trying to keep an eye on me is hilarious! My boyfriend is not impressed and says that she is defying me and still completing the motion I scolded her for but I argue back that she is still obeying and not touching the kennel any longer... btw she is almost my height when she does this so to walk into the kennel and have her stand almost looking me in the eye is an intriging/odd experience...
That is hilarious!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i cant stop buying my puppy bones and toys.... everytime we go to petsmart just to weigh him or check deals on something we also take home bones or toys..sometime both

1 - 19 of 19 Posts