German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of things your dogs have eaten/ chewed?

Juno (my GSD; 6 months) once pooped most of a sock (very thin). She frequently chewed up and ate bits of clothing. The first time, I called the vet, who said to watch her. After that, I just watched her.

Titus (my hound) chewed open a plastic packet of AAA batteries and mauled the corners of at least two (!). They had to be thrown out as they were leaking. By the time we figured out what had happened, hours had elapsed. I didn't take him to the vet because he seemed fine. Titus lived to tell the tale! But I was seriously worried for some time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,510 Posts
Jax - The toes on an antique claw foot table.
Seger - The corner of an end table and a very large bottle of orange chalk.
Faren - if it hits the floor or is left unattended at the table or is an inedible object that has food residue on it, it's all fair game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
Neb (mutt) - we'd adopted an overweight cat who was on a wet food diet. We have a small kitchen (off-limits to dogs) so were storing the UNOPENED cans of wet food on the dining room table. We didn't think Neb'd be able to smell the food through a sealed can let alone reach up onto the table. He could. He ate three cans (wet food and cans themselves). It took three days, pooped metal and puked metal before the vets (ours and an e-vet) decided he could not pass the remainder of the cans on his own, and we went to a (different) e-vet with specialists and he had his stomach scoped. Never had bloody stool and the vet who scoped his stomach was amazed he had not cuts heading down either.

Agis - I don't know where he found them, but two batteries. One had been punctured. I had an heart attack. It'd been awhile before we realized what had happened and he was still bouncing around so I decided to keep an eye on him (I figured if he'd swallowed one he'd have been dead) and he was totally fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
When I was a kid my dad loved chocolate covered cherries and we always had boxes of them around Christmas. This was before all warnings about chocolate and dogs. Our beagle got into a box of them and was puking for several hours. My dad decided since the dog could and would eat anything that something really bad was in them, we never had them again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
Oh! One mother's day we took my mom out for dinner. I'd come back from backpacking a week beforehand with extra food leftover. The pack (closed) had been sitting there for a week.

Luc got into it, ate a few packets of instant oatmeal, two freeze-dried meals, and some hexamine solid fuel tablets (which as I learned that day are not toxic to dogs!). It was a lot to expand in his stomach so we came home to vomit everywhere and him still puking. Cleaned up, let Neb out of his crate (he was around 13 months old), and he promptly ran out and peed all over the rug, despite having had no accidents for months upon months. Happy Mother's Day to me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,066 Posts
An opossum
Oh! I forgot the half eaten pigeon that one of the Malis dragged in intending to finish their fine dining in the middle of my bed one night! Yuck! Mandatory mouth checks from now on before coming into the house especially at night.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,799 Posts
An opossum
Hiking with Teagan, Luc and Neb in Lake Superior Provincial Park with my mom once, Teagan grabbed something that I thought (at the time, based on the tail) was a dead rat. Proving that you're always a mother, she responded to my 'Mom! Mom! Teagan's got a rat, take it out of her mouth!'. Now I'm thinking it was a possum. Thank goodness for mothers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
My Savvy ate the remains of a dead squirrel before I could stop her. She just swallowed the thing in one big gulp tail and all.
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top