German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why should i neuter my dog?
ps i seriously dont know why people neuter there dogs. i think its just wrong.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Have you ever worked in a shelter before? Yeah, people will argue you can have unaltered dogs and them never be bred. That's true but there is ALWAYS a possiblity your dog can get away from you. Even if you're the most professional dog trainer around, there is always that slight possibility.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
If you don't want your dog to have the possibility to reproduce, you CAN look for a vet that will perform a vasectomy on your dog. That way your dog isn't neutered but still won't reproduce. Trouble is finding a vet to perform the surgery, since it's not as common.

However, many people feel that the benefits outweigh the risks. And I can see why. Have you tried looking for the pros/cons of neutering? I have, and almost everything I found is biased to neutering, so they make it sound like neutering is awesome and keeping your dog intact will turn them into an aggressive monster that pees on everything and runs away looking for bitches in heat.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you'll get a lot of pro speuter people that will lecture you about keeping your dog intact. My mom was very upset when I told her that I decided not to neuter Ozzy. However, she understands that I feel that the risks outweigh the benefits and didn't hound me about it because she knows I'm not an idiot that will let him run around without supervision.

I am against breeding. But I do not feel that every dog has to be speutered.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he's the first dog ive ever had. ps im only 13 and my brother told me i should thinkabout talking to my parents about neutering him. so the only adavntage of neutering is no breeding.?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't want your dog to have the possibility to reproduce, you CAN look for a vet that will perform a vasectomy on your dog. That way your dog isn't neutered but still won't reproduce. Trouble is finding a vet to perform the surgery, since it's not as common.

However, many people feel that the benefits outweigh the risks. And I can see why. Have you tried looking for the pros/cons of neutering? I have, and almost everything I found is biased to neutering, so they make it sound like neutering is awesome and keeping your dog intact will turn them into an aggressive monster that pees on everything and runs away looking for bitches in heat.
wait will neutering him stop him from peeing?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Intact dogs tend to mark less. However, there is no guarantee that it will stop them from marking.

We have a netuered male Frenchie. He was neutered young (six months). He's 2 years now and marks all over the house.

I think Ozzy has hit sexual maturity a month or so ago (he's been showing interest in mounting behaviors, among other things), and he does not mark. He is not neutered, and unless there is a valid reason for me to, I will not neuter him.

Someone brought up the fact that it is a training issue, not a neutering issue. As is the roaming and several other 'cons' that are involved with keeping a dog intact. If you train your dog and keep him in line, you won't have to worry.

My boyfriend has 2 intact male rat terriers. They live together with no issues. Don't mark. They are protective of their property, but their family likes them like that. They are very friendly little dogs, once their family has shown them that you're okay to be there. They don't try to escape their yard.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
There are a ton of threads on neutering.

There are health risks and benefits to neutering it is up to you to decide what is best.

Some training places, daycare, parks, etc.. will not allow intact dogs.

Marking is 100% a training issue and has nothing to do with being neutered or not.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Even on here, many of the threads are biased toward speuter, it seems. From what I found, anyway.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
why should i neuter my dog?
ps i seriously dont know why people neuter there dogs. i think its just wrong.
What is your opinion for why it is 'just wrong?'

I know many people who refuse to get their dogs neutered simply for the fact that they can't fathom the idea to have their own 'man parts' removed, so they can't bear to do it to their animals either.

I'm not saying that's why you think it's just wrong, but you didn't give much detail. But if that's why, then maybe you should consider it, or do some more in-depth research and seriously weigh the pros and cons of neutering.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
If you can't make sure your dog won't get out and reproduce, neuter him.

There are risks and benefits to both sides. I am against neutering my animals, but I am very responsible handling intact animals. Not everyone's lifestyles permit them to keep unaltered animals though.

I have worked in two shelters and see on a daily basis what people with the best intentions put out there by letting their animals reproduce. Don't become that guy.

Basically, I feel, if your dog isn't well-trained, and kept on leash 100% of the time outside, then he should be neutered.

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
I see no reason for you to neuter your dog.

I think instead of neutering your dog, you should make a commitment to keep him intact and safe, to socialize and train him, to work with him every day, to never let him off lead where he is not secured by a solid fence that he cannot jump. To never leave him in an enclosure where it is possible that he could dig out of, climb out of, or break through.

The main thing is to keep your dog safe, in your home when you are not right with him, crated until he is no longer a danger to himself when not supervised.

Also, make it a commitment to learn everything there is to learn about German Shepherds, and to become aware of problems, issues facing the breed.

You do not have to neuter your dog, but keeping an intact dog ignorantly is mostly a danger to the dog, and also the possibility that you will increase the number of unwanted GSDs. So become committed to learn and act wisely when it comes to your pup. Keep him safe.

Keeping a neutered dog ignorantly is just as much a danger to the dog.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
If you can't make sure your dog won't get out and reproduce, neuter him.

There are risks and benefits to both sides. I am against neutering my animals, but I am very responsible handling intact animals. Not everyone's lifestyles permit them to keep unaltered animals though.

I have worked in two shelters and see on a daily basis what people with the best intentions put out there by letting their animals reproduce. Don't become that guy.

Basically, I feel, if your dog isn't well-trained, and kept on leash 100% of the time outside, then he should be neutered.
More often than not, when I take Ozzy out, he's not on a leash. Typically we go out to play fetch or I take him out off-leash to check the mail or take him out front to sit with me or he goes potty out front, etc. However, I know he's not going to run off. He doesn't even chase the cats that are in the neighborhood. I have control over him and watch him very carefully.

So I don't think it's right to say that dogs that go outside off-leash should be neutered. I think it's right to say that the owner should have control over their dog if they're going to be outside, especially off-leash.

·
Registered
31,978 Posts
I agree with this. The kid is 13. For now, and probably the next year or two or longer, no way will the dog be ready to be worked off lead where there is no fence keeping him safe.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Selzer has my train of thought dead-on.

My dog is often outside off leash on trails, etc. where I have his attention, because he is well trained. A 13 year old shouldn't and won't be ready for that level of responsibility for a few years at the least.

Keep him fenced, I say.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
If he's 13, then shouldn't it be up to the parents whether the dog is neutered or not, then?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
*shrugs* If it's his dog his parents may be leaving the choice up to him, or he may be paying for it. I know I had a job and money at 13.

·
Super Moderator
32,425 Posts
No testicles = no possibility of testicular cancer.

BTW, in the future please try to put your threads in the appropriate forum. I've done a notification on this one to have it moved.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts