German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago our pack briefly went from two to three before we sadly lost out old dog to arthritis. A while later we were offered a 7 month old Border Collie, he was too laid back to work and a real dream dog. However, we made the decision not to keep him because I just found three dogs so much more than two to take care of. The routine just seemed chaotic and walks seemed to become a chore, even though they were all well behaved.

I sometimes look after a friend's dog for a few days, she (the dog) is a regular playmate to my two and fits in well, but I always find that caring for more than two is a chore, whereas two is fun.

Do other members find the same? I know there are some on here who have three or more dogs and I'm always amazed at how they do it!

What's the perfect number of dogs for everyone?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I have no problems with three and I will be adding a fourth permanent one. Once I'm settled in my house(whenever I find one, it will any day now) I will also foster 1-2 dogs. I love doing stuff with the dogs and I don't consider it a chore at all. I've had 6 dogs at one time and those dogs weren't nearly as obedient as the ones I have now. My home is not a home without a bunch of them in it...when one leaves for a while to go for a ride with my son or to get groomed, it becomes way to quiet and they are missed.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I've had four dogs since about 2006 though the dogs that made up that four has changed sadly due to various cancers.

I can say that I do love the busy house especially since we don't want children so it helps keep the house from feeling too empty.

BUT when I was 28 I started developing arthritis, I'm 30 now and it's been getting progressively worse to where I'm constantly in pain, I can't work anymore and it's hard for me to stay active because it makes me feel worse. I think physically I can't stay at four anymore, I'm not going to get rid of any of my dogs but I'm not going to get anymore...

I think ideally for me I'd just like to have one dog to focus on from now on. I like to hike despite the pain it causes me later and I can never take all four at once so one or two always have to stay behind, same with vacations some always have to be kenneled. If I just had one, we could go camping anytime we wanted and not have to worry about kenneling(which gets expensive).

So for me in the future, just one maybe two if I can get my pain under better control(currently trying a drastic diet change).

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I've had 4 gsd's at one point, sure alot of work, but the varying ages, (2 seniors) made it easier and me feel better when I took two at a time to whatever we were doing.

When I lost one and was down to 3, it oddly felt like I didn't have enough to do?:)

I'm again at 3, but two of them are aussies, and seniors, Masi my 5 yr oldgsd, keeps me hopping and at this point she takes up the majority of my time.

I'll never be without 'two' dogs, maybe 3, at some point I will get another gsd .

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My husband and I are animal people, so our house is like a mini zoo. At one point, we had four cats, two dogs, two birds, and a tank full of fish. We were down to one dog and two cats at one point and the house was just too quiet. We added slowly and accordingly, but we know what our limits are. We plan on getting a third dog, a GSD, in a year or two after our newest pup is fully trained, but three is our dog limit...for now. :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Every one of my GSDs I ever had I believe would have been happiest as a single dog. Having said that, I have only had one dog during brief periods of time and most often have 2 or 3 or at most 4. Not that these dogs had temperament problems with other dogs, it's just that their relationship with me has always been the most important thing in the world to them. They couldn't care less if they were the only dog left in the world as long as they were with me every day. I think most GSDs are like that. So I do feel some guilt that my fondness for dogs have never given any of my dogs their ideal world of being the only one.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
I think the perfect number of dogs varies for each home, based on personality of each dog, the lifestyle of the owner, housing situation and experience level of owner.
Sheilah

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
We've always had a pack. Recently we were down to one, due to loss of a couple of seniors back to back. Our only dog was sad. He didn't like being an only dog. We've gradually increased our pack again and are up to 4. It really depends on the mix and the personalities of the dogs, how many is the ideal number. My four are a great mix and I would be wary of bringing in another one to upset the balance, but if the right dog came along....

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
We have three. It took a bit to get used to, but it's working out well now. Today we have 4. I'm pet sitting a dachshund. It's a bit more challenging, because we have a pool and I really have to keep an eye on that little dog to make sure she is not getting to curious around the pool.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm really enjoying 1 at this time. Had 3 for years and the 2 older have passed away within the past 2 years. I can devote all of my time to her, food lasts longer, expenses down. I like it, but find it strange. One day, we will add another. She has 4 cats to keep her prey drive sharp, so she's not lonely when we are gone!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I've only ever had 1 at a time, as my personal companion. I take my dog everywhere, and even try to find jobs that will allow this, lol. I bottled wine with my dog last week, and then we spent the afternoon on a patio. But, my BFs have had dogs, my DH has a dog, my family too, neighbors, my ex-roomates....my singleton dogs have usually always had canine company.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I only have one now. We are working with Zoey so that we can add another some time soon hopefully. I just don't think that 1 is enough. 2 will be more to my liking and that will be enough for my house. If we had a bigger house with more land for the dogs to do as they please then I wouldn't mind 4, 5 or even 6. It all comes down to what you can afford.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
For me, one.
I would absolutely love to have 4 or 5, but the work and management and time required would be crazy.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I thought that I had settled on one and I had heard that GSDs prefer to be only dogs. I'd never had a single dog and there were parts that I liked but when the neighbors showed up with the pit puppy and I saw Hav's reaction to her--I was back up to two. Havoc really likes having a companion and they have a nice relationship.

We take each to different classes so they have one on one training time. That's about the only extra time and expense. I figure that's a wash because of the increased exercise and environmental stimulus that the second dog provides for Havoc. We refer to Tempest as Havoc's pet.

Four dogs is too many for me. I may consider a third dog at some point. Right now, two is fine.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have two right now.

Pongu the Insane is my first dog. He's a rehab case, which I didn't really comprehend when I adopted him (because, again, first dog) or else I honestly wouldn't have done it. I love him to pieces, and he loves me back just as much, but man, he is not a dog I'd wish on anybody else.

Crookytail is a foster failure. I originally pulled him because the shelter told me that he was a 45-pound Aussie mix who might be a good sport prospect. Zero of those things turned out to be true. He's an 80-pound Akita mix who has all the competitive edge of a warm stick of butter, and I don't think he's ever going to go beyond a novice title in anything. But he's a very sweet dog who has a real gift for socializing foster dogs, plus my husband loves him, so he's sticking around.

Those two mutts comprise Dog Mob. They're the permanent crew.

In addition to those two, we have a near-constant inflow of foster dogs. These tend to be mostly medium-sized, young adult female mixed breeds. They don't generally stick around longer than a few weeks.

It's not that hard to handle either two or three dogs. It's a lot easier with two, but I think that's just because Dog Mob is pretty settled down and easy to live with at this point. Whenever we have three dogs, the third is a foster mutt who knows nothing and has probably never lived inside before, so there's a real steep learning curve for those guys and that takes some adjustment.

I'd like to add a third permanent dog to our crew sometime in the next few years (that's why I'm on this board -- I want a good solid GSD who can be a serious multi-sport competitor with me), but I worry that it may be too ambitious to try adding a third permanent to the crowd. We live in a tiny city condo with no yard, and Pongu's prone to jealousy.

But I think by then he'll be older and slowing down, so it might be different by that point. I do think I'll always want to have a competition dog.

So I guess the answer for me is either two or three. I would honestly probably be happy with one, if it were the perfect one, but we have the ability to offer a good home to more dogs and god knows there are plenty of them who need that home, so we'll probably always have at least two.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i personally like 2 dogs. enough to keep themselves occupied and it is easy to take them places. when i have had 3 it seems like one or 2 were always getting left out.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
What's the perfect number of dogs for everyone?
It all depends on the person and the dog. Right now we have 7 dogs. 1 GSD, 1 Corgi mix (senior) and 5 Chinese Cresteds. I breed and how the Cresteds, the senior Corgi mix basically sleeps all day and the Shepherd pretends to rule the CC pack (but they really rule him).

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Since I moved out in my own, too many years to own to ago, I have always had 2 dog at least. For a while it was my personal SAR dog and a foster or two. Then I got a second personal dog. And then a third. Right now I have 3 dogs. I don't have big house or yard, so keeping them all active and getting the right amount if exercise is tough, but doable, seeing as how I don't have kids.

Occasionally the number goes to 4 if I take in a foster dog, but with the puppy I am not doing that for a while. I like 3. Think I would prefer 2.

But I also have 2 fish tanks(soon to be upgrading a tank) once that happens I am vacillating between getting a Jackson's Chameleon, or a Ball Python

And I have 2 cats. But they will be my last cats. I love them, but don't want anymore.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I think 2 is the best # for me. I have three now and have in the past. I hope my current three can learn to exist and that is getting better but it does seem like Miss thunder is always left out or Lucky is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts