German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids went out of town for the weekend so I thought I would treat Radar to a new toy since he is already missing his playmates. He is teething so I chose Nylabones..... I imagined him chewing on it as we relaxed and watched TV tonight. I gave it to him and he chewed it up and ate it in about 5 min.!!! I swear we had one years ago for a Sheltie and it was indestructable! What's the deal? I hope it won't give him belly problems. I just check the package and it does say edible- but I still expected it to last longer. The poor guy's teeth must be starting to hurt- I've noticed the past few days that when I am petting him and he doesn't have a toy in his mouth he will start chewing on me- I will yelp and he will stop and start chewing on his own leg... he just has to have something in his mouth! I will give him some ice cubes tonight! Right now he is chewing on a hoof... I hope they are ok for him!

·
Registered
824 Posts
When you by the nylabones be sure to check the chew rating at the top of the package. Some are way more wimpy then others. For our GS we get the "Souper Size" "for POWERFUL chewers". That should slow yours down abit. He'll still mangle it.. but slower

Ooh! And Orbee balls. I bought Ruby one and she loves to squeeze it in her mouth. It's very springy, doesn't squeak, and glows in the dark! cool!
I bought one with a rope tied through it and pulled out the rope- so it's more squishy with the hollow center. DON'T leave them alone with your GS, they may be able to tear little peices off after awhile and choke or get a blockage. Orbees are best for "Couch fetching" .. and my favorite.. glow in the dark fetch!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
If it was one of their edible kinds than that's to be expected.

However, if it's one of the regular Nylabones the whole thing should not be ingested. Bits and shavings will come off of it, but when larger chunks start popping off it needs to be taken away.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I get Apollo the dental kind too. He gets them pretty roughed up in a month, but they last a little while. Kongs are also good chew toys too. Apollo has the fire hydrant kind, and once we put peanut butter in it and it occupied him for at least an hour or so.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you rubyslippers and mammagoose! I have an orbee that he already broke the rope on playing tug with the girls... I want a glow in the dark one too! I have never seen one around Nashville! Now Radar has moved on to his bad cuz! Mammagoose... do you have lots of experience with GSD tummy issues? if so can I pm you with some questions?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted By: GSDOwner2008I get Apollo the dental kind too. He gets them pretty roughed up in a month, but they last a little while. Kongs are also good chew toys too. Apollo has the fire hydrant kind, and once we put peanut butter in it and it occupied him for at least an hour or so.
I use a lot of stuffed kongs and it's weird but he only licks the food out... he doesn't really chew on them. Maybe that will come later if I keep giving them to him. I might try plugging the hole and freezing water in one tonight since he is teething!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Frozen washcloths help with teething, just be sure to give them under supervision

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
for those time when you just want them to lay down and do like a long chew, try getting those BIG white rolled hides....i'm not sure what theya re called cause we just refer to them as "pigs" here and they get to chew for a good 45mins-to an hour and totally can be eaten...pups love them while they're teething, plus it cleanses their teeth and gives them fresh breath, i think you can also buy it in mint flavor, but we always just get the original.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Be careful with rawhide too. It should only be given under supervision. Rawhide doesn't break down in the digestive tract, so if large pieces are swallowed, it can cause blockage. My girl loves the rawhide rolls, but I only give those to her when I'm working on the computer or watching TV and I can keep an eye on her.

Look for "Bully Sticks". They are completely edible and digestible, won't block them up, and the dogs LOVE them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts