German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We live in North Carolina and the weather is warming up. I thought we would have a few weeks before the ticks showed up, but I was wrong.
I took Max out for a potty break at 2am Monday morning and then I found a tick on my chest at 5am... We also went to the lake Sunday afternoon to enjoy the weather and introduce Maximus to the water and my friend a tick on her. Same kind of tick... Lone Star.

So I've been going over Max as well as I can by hand and haven't found anything yet, but ticks are small and don't want to find one already engorged on him...

I don't want to use chemicals on him... especially being so young. I read another post where Karma suggested Springtime Bug Off and Cedar Cide. I looked into them and ordered them yesterday morning andthey were shipped yesterday, so should have them in the next day or so.

So what's the best way to look for ticks on a soft ball of fuzz? :) Max will let me handle him as much as I want (except for trying to dremel his nails!) and want to check him every night since I've seen two ticks already.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Twice a day, I flip Beau on his back to look for fleas (between the legs where the hair is thin is good of you are fast) and go over his entire body with my fingertips feeling for ticks. Concentrating most on the ears, behind the ears the neck, and behind the elbows...all places they seem to like as well as toes. I do the rest of his body lightly but they really seem to go for the head/neck more than anything.

Same way you should be doing your own hair when you are in the woods.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nancy, that helps a lot. I didn't know that there were areas more prone to having ticks.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
That is also how I do it. By feel. I try to avoid the poisons until I am finding too many or find them in my bed. :eek:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Cody and Clipper would let me check all over. Also check inside ears, between pads on feet as well as between toes, anything that makes a curve or "warm" places! I even found one on the tip of Cody's tail one time! I also use that time to rub and massage them all over so they grow to enjoy and relax! Good time to inspect for any lumps, bumps, anything unusual.

·
Registered
31 Posts
God I hate tick season. I found the first one of the season on my neck crawling straight for my head two days ago. *shudder*

So begins the daily tick checks of people and pets. blech.

(nothing really helpful to contribute, I do it like others mentioned, just by feel)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugh... I found one where I really don't want to say :) Took 45 minutes to get it out and while I was taking it out, saw another Lone Star walking across the bathroom floor... Luckily the CedarCide products came today, so going to spray the yard, me and the pup :) My father found 2 in his kitchen over the weekend, so looks like they are out in full force here in NC. What's funny is that I've lived in my house for 4 years, this is the first time I've even seen a tick in NC. I've had 2 on me and one in a very private area... not a good start to the season. I'm going to check myself, my daughter and Maximus 3x a day.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I believe this is going to be a very bad tick season. In the 20 years I have lived in this house, none of my dogs have ever gotten a tick from my yard. From a walk in the woods? Yes. But not the yard. Until the other night. My puppy had a tick behind his ear. UGH! I don't like this at all.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I stopped taking my 2 older dog in the trails for a few weeks now, its so hard to find ticks on them. I've still been taking Lakota out on trail but its easy to find ticks on her. I found 3 crawling on her front leg/chest yesterday.
Yes its going to be a bad tick year, again.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
This is really a great product.

Remove Ticks Easily with Tick Twister®

Picked on up at Petco. Must better than the tick spoon or tweezers to me even with that thick coat! I keep one on my keyring.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jocoyn for the link, I'll definitely pick one up. I could of used it on myself yesterday :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Agree. Using fingertips and feeling all the places ticks like to hide - head, ears, under collars, armpits and then running my fingers over the entire body. But I have found that pulling them out by hand works better than gadgets. Maybe that is just me. But with my fingers I can feel and get very close to the skin and "pop" the tick off, keeping the head intact. That is the thing you want to be careful of, keeping the head intact so not leaving it behind in the skin.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts