German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all

Just noticed tonight that one of Hex's ears is a bit red and had a bit of black gunk in it. i gave it a wipe with a tissue and he yelped - looks like it's a bit sore too :(
I was hoping to try a cleanser before taking him to the Vet.

Can anyone recommend a good brand?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Since the ear is red already, I would take him to the vet. After that is cleared up, then I would do the weekly ear cleaning as a preventive measure. The vet may have the solution or a pet catalog would. I started with opticleans, but found the Foster& Smith ear cleaner and wipes were more gentle.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
1/2 vinegar 1/2 water solution. Works like a charm...and as natural as you can get. I dip a cotton ball in it and clean out the ear. Also helps clear out yeast and other simple organisms that might be making a living in there.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would take him to the vet first to be on the safe side,ear infections are very painful:(

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
I agree with the others, if it's already painful, I'd go to the vet and have them diagnose what's causing the ear infection. Then they will prescribe an ointment or liquid to use in the ear.

I have heard really good things about Zymox, used once daily for 2-3 weeks should clear up any infection--it kills bacteria and yeast. Vetericyn is also good.

For routine cleansing, use Zymox once a week, or mix up white vinegar and rubbing alcohol. DON'T use anything containing alcohol on ears that are already red, raw and painful, as it will sting. Personally, I wouldn't dilute the vinegar/alcohol mixture with water, as you want the ears to remain as dry as possible. The vinegar you buy at the store already has water in it, no need to add more.

If the ears are very waxy, Cerumine works great to dissolve and liquefy the wax so it can be easily removed. However, it will leave an oily residue on the fur, which attracts dirt. So take care to remove as much excess as possible, or use it while you are bathing the dog, so you can shampoo the residue off the outside of the ear.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Agree on the vet visit if your dog is in pain. My Lab had a chronic ear infection in his left ear for 4-5 years. After countless vet visits and food changes a friend recommended Zymox Otic. That stuff was a miracle cure. I used the medicated version to clear up his infection, and the non medicated Zymox to clean his ears and for maintenance. He never got an ear infection again. Zymox is the one product, I always have on hand, since the results were impressive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts