German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading on the other thread about how dogs can swallow/choke on tennis balls, kong balls, rope balls, and then my own experience of my dog getting impaled by fetching a stick (mouth over the end so it jabbed back and got stuck in the back of her throat), I am wondering... what is safe to fetch with your dog?

Frisbees are okay, right? Not too hard on the teeth? What else do you think is safe for them to fetch?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
really as long as you're supervising i think its fine. Just definitely agree no sticks!!! ropes work nicely.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
You know, crossing the street is dangerous too unless you look both ways. What I'm saying is most tennis ball sized balls are safe with supervision - I prefer the orange ChuckIt balls as they are supposed to be better for the teeth and they don't get soggy. I do not use frizbees as they are hard and can be very damaging to the teeth. If you want to throw a frizbee type toy, get one of the soft versions.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Fanta loves her chuck-it balls that Elaine mentioned. we did buy her a Kong frisbee that is actually very soft (rubbery) and she is loving that too now.
Extreme Kong Black Flyer its called.
They have a black one now!!!!! Not That koda has put a dent in the red one....he is not a destructive boy, lucky me :)

We play fetch with the large cuz, as well as Ellie (don't know real name....) but it is a blue elephant ball. Here is a picture of Cuz, and Ellie with Dino cuz(who is good for carrying around, but not a game of fetch)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Why have they stopped putting the squeakers in the Cuz toys? The last two we bought just had the holes but no squeakers.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
We play with the Everlasting Fun Ball. Dogs absolutely love it and it's plenty big enough to not be a choking hazard. Puppy could pick it up by 10 weeks.

We also use the larger Cuz toys. Actually universal favorite around here seems to be the Octopus.

Our favorite Ball/tug toy though is the Booda Wing a Ball.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have the octopus cuz and we have had ours for almost 5 months....Jake is starting to chew the little legs off now....but he is a chewing machine as of lately. I don't leave it out as a "chew toy". It has been a long lasting toy....however at this stage I can clearly see NOTHING will last!:)

·
Registered
27,379 Posts
Karlo chews up those soft frisbees, and wubba's...they don't last a day around here! I have the jawz hyperflites but keep them away from the dogs unless I am playing frisbee or they'd be a mess too, they are very strong and I haven't had any problems with teeth. Onyx and Karlo are frisbee nuts, and have the technique down well for catching them.

For fetch~ cuz's are safe and bounce irratically-the dogs love them.
Jollyballs are the favorite here for Karlo and Onyx, but Karlo chews them constantly and his teeth are wearing down, so again I put them away if we aren't playing fetch. Kacie loves the orbee balls best.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when i throw a stick for my dog i throw
it side armed so it doesn't stick up in the ground.
i throw a large kong ball for my dog. i also have this
round, long kong toy. you can throw doggie ropes or
tug toys.

After reading on the other thread about how dogs can swallow/choke on tennis balls, kong balls, rope balls, and then my own experience of my dog getting impaled by fetching a stick (mouth over the end so it jabbed back and got stuck in the back of her throat), I am wondering... what is safe to fetch with your dog?

Frisbees are okay, right? Not too hard on the teeth? What else do you think is safe for them to fetch?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.