German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading on the other thread about how dogs can swallow/choke on tennis balls, kong balls, rope balls, and then my own experience of my dog getting impaled by fetching a stick (mouth over the end so it jabbed back and got stuck in the back of her throat), I am wondering... what is safe to fetch with your dog?

Frisbees are okay, right? Not too hard on the teeth? What else do you think is safe for them to fetch?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
We bought some balls that are big enough that they can't get it in the back of their mouths. They're not as indestructible as the kong balls but they're pretty solid.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
really as long as you're supervising i think its fine. Just definitely agree no sticks!!! ropes work nicely.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
You know, crossing the street is dangerous too unless you look both ways. What I'm saying is most tennis ball sized balls are safe with supervision - I prefer the orange ChuckIt balls as they are supposed to be better for the teeth and they don't get soggy. I do not use frizbees as they are hard and can be very damaging to the teeth. If you want to throw a frizbee type toy, get one of the soft versions.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Fanta loves her chuck-it balls that Elaine mentioned. we did buy her a Kong frisbee that is actually very soft (rubbery) and she is loving that too now.
its called.

·
Registered
32,713 Posts
I use raquet balls for Jax. But her favorite is her frisbees. I use the Kong frisbees. She puts her teeth through anything hard plastic in about 30 seconds flat.

·
5,627 Posts
I use raquet balls (supervised of course) for Raven too. She entertains herself bouncing it around the living room.

I've also used the smaller cuz in the chuck-it and it works well.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Fanta loves her chuck-it balls that Elaine mentioned. we did buy her a Kong frisbee that is actually very soft (rubbery) and she is loving that too now.
Extreme Kong Black Flyer its called.
They have a black one now!!!!! Not That koda has put a dent in the red one....he is not a destructive boy, lucky me :)

We play fetch with the large cuz, as well as Ellie (don't know real name....) but it is a blue elephant ball. Here is a picture of Cuz, and Ellie with Dino cuz(who is good for carrying around, but not a game of fetch)

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Why have they stopped putting the squeakers in the Cuz toys? The last two we bought just had the holes but no squeakers.

·
2,967 Posts
We play with the Everlasting Fun Ball. Dogs absolutely love it and it's plenty big enough to not be a choking hazard. Puppy could pick it up by 10 weeks.

We also use the larger Cuz toys. Actually universal favorite around here seems to be the Octopus.

Our favorite Ball/tug toy though is the Booda Wing a Ball.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have the octopus cuz and we have had ours for almost 5 months....Jake is starting to chew the little legs off now....but he is a chewing machine as of lately. I don't leave it out as a "chew toy". It has been a long lasting toy....however at this stage I can clearly see NOTHING will last!:)

·
Registered
27,329 Posts
Karlo chews up those soft frisbees, and wubba's...they don't last a day around here! I have the jawz hyperflites but keep them away from the dogs unless I am playing frisbee or they'd be a mess too, they are very strong and I haven't had any problems with teeth. Onyx and Karlo are frisbee nuts, and have the technique down well for catching them.

For fetch~ cuz's are safe and bounce irratically-the dogs love them.
Jollyballs are the favorite here for Karlo and Onyx, but Karlo chews them constantly and his teeth are wearing down, so again I put them away if we aren't playing fetch. Kacie loves the orbee balls best.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when i throw a stick for my dog i throw
it side armed so it doesn't stick up in the ground.
i throw a large kong ball for my dog. i also have this
round, long kong toy. you can throw doggie ropes or
tug toys.

After reading on the other thread about how dogs can swallow/choke on tennis balls, kong balls, rope balls, and then my own experience of my dog getting impaled by fetching a stick (mouth over the end so it jabbed back and got stuck in the back of her throat), I am wondering... what is safe to fetch with your dog?

Frisbees are okay, right? Not too hard on the teeth? What else do you think is safe for them to fetch?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts