German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I currently have one 15 month old sweetie named Cooper. He loves loves loves dogs! I call him Mr. Social. We have seen a long coat GSD at a rescue... she is 8 months. We have filled out all the paperwork and all we have to do is meet and greet; Cooper too! :) This will happen on Thursday.

I am wondering if anyone can give me some tips as I have never had 2 at the same time. He is very social, but I am hoping that he is still young enough to introduce another pup to the family. We have had him for 3 months, at the dog park he isn't possessive over his fetch toys, he isn't aggressive with us when we get near his food. He seems pretty laid back. All of the other dogs we have had did not care for other dogs, but Cooper seems so happy when he is around fellow canines.

What are your experiences? :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I see your from British Columbia. That's where I got my puppy Havoc from. Bullinger Shepherds (Tracy)....

I had two unfortunately for only a short time. My beloved Kaos almost 10 then got a GSD puppy Havoc at 10 weeks old. After a couple weeks Havoc adjusted to my old guy and his health problems. Eventually want to get another GSD. I always wanted two GSD's at the same time....

At first the new guy was all over Kaos and Kaos put him in his place a bunch of times. On the back into the submissive. Then the Kaos lick. At one point Kaos would lightly bite the puppy because he just wouldn't stop. Shouldn't say bite but put him mouth around the puppy. But after a couple weeks everything was good. I had them drink out of the same water bowl to get used to one another....

Congrats.....

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's like a very furry, dusty, and yes, noisy!, Heaven ;)

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
We started out with two (litter mates females, Tuke & Zoey) and added a 4 month old male last fall. We introduced the girls one at a time on neutral ground a couple times and then a couple visits to our home with all three. Zoey and Ranger play together constantly and Tuke will join in when she feels like it. They all get along great, the only downfall would be the extra vet and food bills, but that's to be expected.

·
Registered
252 Posts
One word "awesome" yes lots of work but we'll worth it. I have 2 - a girl just turned one a couple of weeks ago and a boy who is 7 mo. Each one came home at 8 wks from different breeders.
They love each other - do everything together- I try to spend alone with each if them
Just like kids- you make it work
Patience and let them run and run and run...lol
Good luck! ??

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of these posts made me smile! Thank you all so much. I am sooooo excited to meet the 8 month old, but worried that if they get along at the rescue it might be different at home. I am thinking 2 weeks to settle in. Cooper isn't dominant and is pretty easy going, though a lot of energy! The pup sounds high energy but has a sweet and loving nature. I don't want Cooper to think we don't love him. That probably sounds silly. I worry about my babies.

I envision an early morning walk. I walk Coop 3-4 miles everyday, but can't do that with 2. He is a puller and I am working on manners with him. :) The pup (Kono) has never had leash work so apparently she is a bucking bronco on lead. :) So, hubby and I will walk in the morning. Once we train her and she can go off leash, then they can go to fields and play. Definitely awhile for the dog park!

So it sounds like everyone has had good experiences? Have your furbabies become best buds?

Oh, and yes. I am in BC. I am surprised there are not more GSDs around here. I took Coop to pick up the kids from school. People looked at me like I was crazy for having a shepherd at the school.

I am feeling nervous, but know that Coop will tell me yay or nay when he meets her. I haven't seen him bark or growl at other dogs, so that will be a good sign. I was warned that she is excitable and runs up to play. I am sure he won't mind that! Play buddy!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One word "awesome" yes lots of work but we'll worth it. I have 2 - a girl just turned one a couple of weeks ago and a boy who is 7 mo. Each one came home at 8 wks from different breeders.
They love each other - do everything together- I try to spend alone with each if them
Just like kids- you make it work
Patience and let them run and run and run...lol
Good luck! ����

How do you find these ages? The female is 8 months. I got Cooper when he was 11 months. He was full of energy as he was in the pound for 3 months... cabin fever. :( How excited and boundy is 7/8 month old in the house?

She doesn't like her kennel and we don't use kennels in the home. This will be interesting if she comes home with us. :)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
All of these posts made me smile! Thank you all so much. I am sooooo excited to meet the 8 month old, but worried that if they get along at the rescue it might be different at home. I am thinking 2 weeks to settle in. Cooper isn't dominant and is pretty easy going, though a lot of energy! The pup sounds high energy but has a sweet and loving nature. I don't want Cooper to think we don't love him. That probably sounds silly. I worry about my babies.

I envision an early morning walk. I walk Coop 3-4 miles everyday, but can't do that with 2. He is a puller and I am working on manners with him. :) The pup (Kono) has never had leash work so apparently she is a bucking bronco on lead. :) So, hubby and I will walk in the morning. Once we train her and she can go off leash, then they can go to fields and play. Definitely awhile for the dog park!

So it sounds like everyone has had good experiences? Have your furbabies become best buds?

Oh, and yes. I am in BC. I am surprised there are not more GSDs around here. I took Coop to pick up the kids from school. People looked at me like I was crazy for having a shepherd at the school.

I am feeling nervous, but know that Coop will tell me yay or nay when he meets her. I haven't seen him bark or growl at other dogs, so that will be a good sign. I was warned that she is excitable and runs up to play. I am sure he won't mind that! Play buddy!!!
My female is going to be 2 in Sept and I just got a male GSD(we thought he was a year, but now we are thinking going to be one in about July) from the shelter. When they met he was bouncing off the walls and her, she was not to happy. All the way home she sat in back giving him dirty looks, she looked disgusted. Once he got home, he got corrected alot, there was one small tiff, but for the most part they play and play and play. He loves giving her kisses, but every now and then she lets him know who is boss and he walks away.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I will add that I was only ready to add a second one when the first one was trained completely. There is no way that I would want to train two at once.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I have 2 GSD's, 4 year old male and a 2 year old female.

My dogs are very quiet and don't do much in the house... they mostly just lay around or sleep. If they do want to play, they 9 times out of 10 come to us with toys..

The increase in hair sucks though - mine are raw fed and brushed regularly but it is still a lot of hair - especially when coats are blown.

We do quite a bit of training and events (about 5-6 times per week between the 2 of them) so when they are home, they are tired.

I enjoy having the 2 dogs and would love to have another one or two in the future, but for right now 2 is just right.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have three. Our male Argus is 4 years, our female Cidra is 3.5 years and our puppy Elsa is 10 months.

Lots of work but both my husband and I love it.

As well as having the three GSDs, we have a 12 year old Bichon/Westie cross as well. :)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Cody and clipper are from the same litter. Clipper was originally my oldest daughters gsd, but she moved out of state when he was about 1 1/2, then he came to live with me! He thought he lived there anyway she brought him over a lot. They were 7 or 8 weeks old when we got them. They were best buddies and brothers! Always near each other. Very rarely had a tiff, never held a grudge or laid in wait over anything. They ran and ran, played together, took turns me kicking ball, throwing toys! Ate from same bowls!they loved each other very much. When Cody died this past sept it was very hard on clipper. He misses his best friend.i have had my sons pitbull a little over 2 years now, he is a sympathic little dog, when Cody died and I brought the seat cover and leash in they were all excieted, thought Cody was coming home, he sniffed it then went and laid with his head on he paws, like he knew Cody wasn't coming. He did this with clipper osteosarcoma lump, sniffed it and all around on clipper, then went and put his head on his paws all sad like. They loved each other.

·
Registered
701 Posts
two, it is a lot of work! i have fostered some GSD so far, and my boy sounds just like yours, except I had him for 10 months before I introduced other dogs. there were zero issues on his part, but the newbies do have to find their place. always keep your eye out for the first month and some.

you better have a good vacuum and and even better patience!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Mine would pull like crazy they love going on walks - I got the 'easy walk harness" ( cheaper on amazon) and I can walk both together actually one hand holding the leashes!
And yes they are best buddies!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Awesome. Wouldn't have it any other way. We had two and unfortunately one abruptly passed away about 4 weeks ago. The remaining one is now quite lonely as would be anticipated. I will get another soon.

Yes it is work but remember that the younger pup will learn quickly from the older one if it is trained well.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I have had up to 6 GSD in my house at the time. For me it just depends on the current mix of dogs I have. I have 3 GSD now and it is very busy because they are all very high energy. Once they have their outlets, they settle very well in the house.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts