German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have this happen?

I was sitting on the edge of my couch and Kelly came up to me, she sat and I petted and scrubbed her chest. As she looks up, I offer my chin and she gently gives me a lick. For a split second, I look down and I thought she wanted to give another when she ever so lightly slurped but with a gentle nip. Kind of like a slurnip or something to that effect. Or I swear it was. I recoiled and my instinct was to let out an, "Oowwww" which I did. She immediately went down and began licking my hand.

Was she being overzealous with her greeting? Anyone ever have this happen?

I don't think she meant to hurt me and didn't really. But we are still new to each other and are really bonding well. I still accept her kisses which are very light and gentle. I think she knows and that's all I really care about.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
i think if my dogs werent kitty poo eaters despite our best efforts to block the box from them and didnt eat their own poo, it would probably happen here. Zena used to do it every now and then.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think if my dogs werent kitty poo eaters despite our best efforts to block the box from them and didnt eat their own poo, it would probably happen here. Zena used to do it every now and then.
Dang, what is it about cat crap that dogs enjoy it?

Sadie would do it every now and again. My other Rott Lady, would roll in it.

So far, none of that with Kelly. I pray.

I did notice Kelly being a nibbler. I mean she likes to prance beside me nibbling my finger tips.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
She's just trying to play the only way she knows how. She respects you she was very gentle. How old is she?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's just trying to play the only way she knows how. She respects you she was very gentle. How old is she?
Thanks. ;)

I just want to make sure there wasn't anything else going on or read too much into it. She is 8 mos. old. I yelped because I want her to know teeth are not okay. I have lots of youngsters in my family, nieces, nephews, grandchildren and babies. Since I didn't get her as a 12 week old puppy, and she has primarily been around her siblings not people, I want to be watchful until both her and I have that mutual trust established.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You did the right thing. I am surprised it took her 8 months to do that.
Well, I don't know much about her puppyhood, except her brood was meant for SAR. For whatever reason, she didn't have the stuff, whatever that may mean. She's been around her breeder, her parents and siblings for the most part, little to no other human socialization. We're working on that, slowly. I know she was being worked on the heel using treats, so she's kind of a nibbler.

Lots of stuff to do yet!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Love bites? I get them from Balto now and again. Though, it hurts and I let him know that. These days he'll only do it when he's very excited.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Rocky likes to nibble at my husband's goatee. He tried it on me once but evidently wasn't as satisfactory with no facial hair.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love Bites.. LOL. I love it BlackPuppy.

Emoore, I have a beard too. We had a breakthrough this afternoon at Mickey D's. We shared cheeseburgers and I was feeding her french fries from my lips. She never even came close to nipping.

We're bad, yes I know.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Dang, what is it about cat crap that dogs enjoy it?

Sadie would do it every now and again. My other Rott Lady, would roll in it.

So far, none of that with Kelly. I pray.

I did notice Kelly being a nibbler. I mean she likes to prance beside me nibbling my finger tips.

I have no idea. I think the only reason Shasta doesnt get in there is because she hasnt figured out how to get over the baby gate to the laundry room without it crashing down after her. Riley is usually pretty good about it while Shelby will go back there and help herself to the litterbox like its a snack.

Zena used to come over to me and chatter her teeth at me until i leaned over and she'd give me kisses. Shasta is a love nibbler. She's very gentle about at for a 7 month old. Some dogs do it, others dont. i dont know how else to explain the nibbling other than a greeting, a love you mom or dad or trying to get your attention for something without being totally obnoxious about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts