German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all

Well my guys are due for Vaccinations again so I was tossing up wether I should get them their yearly shot of Heartguard at the same time (which is so expensive for 2 dogs just under 100lbs) or wether I should go onto a monthly tablet that will do everything.
Usually I de-worm with an allwormer every 3 month and they get a yearly rearguard shot. I don't bother with spot on flea treatments except for summer or if I see them scratch a lot, then I use fFrontline Plus. (somehow the idea of covering them in chemicals every month wether they need it or not doesn't agree with me)

Atm I'm considering:
Sentinel Spectrum
Panoramis (Triflexis)
Interceptor Spectrum

Or just plain Heartgard chewables once a month with their "normal" wormers and not fussed about flea treatments unless necessary.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Liquid Ivermectin and Bug off garlic is the safest IMO and cheapest.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I do the heartguard and frontline once a month...it's horrible for bugs here in iowa ..and it's even worse already with all the flippin rain we've had.

now if somebody can tell me something good for humans..I'd be grateful. Nothing is working this year. :( I am so bit up from us being outside I look like I have some kind of disease :(

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I do the heartguard and frontline once a month...it's horrible for bugs here in iowa ..and it's even worse already with all the flippin rain we've had.

now if somebody can tell me something good for humans..I'd be grateful. Nothing is working this year. :( I am so bit up from us being outside I look like I have some kind of disease :(
Have you tried essential oil sprays? I've heard good things about them and they actually smell good instead of like deet. lol

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I do heartguard once and month and frontline plus every three months for fleas. If I have to start once a month because of ticks then I will, but not until I see a problem with ticks.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The heartgard chews seem to be a lot cheaper than the yearly injection even for 2 big dogs.
We don't really have a problem with ticks here in my state.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
The heartgard chews seem to be a lot cheaper than the yearly injection even for 2 big dogs.
We don't really have a problem with ticks here in my state.
They carried the injection at one of the places I went and I asked about it and they did not recommend it. There was problems with it before and it was taken off the market, but I guess they have to carry it?

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
Switching from monthly Heartgard to Iverheart (generic chew, same ivermectin dose) cuts the cost way, way down -- the Iverheart Max (with de-wormer) costs between $4-5 per month from KV Vet Supply (I think I paid $26 and change for a 6 month pack recently, incl. shipping).

I use Advantage II for fleas, but only as need during Spring Summer. Often we'll treat the whole pack only a couple of times a year, when a badly flea infested foster dog comes home. I'd rather separate the flea and HW, since I need HW year round, but I think the fleas are seasonal (and seem well controlled most of the time environmentally).

If I wanted an all-in-one, I'd likely go with Advantage Multi. It's been around a long time, so the safety profile is well known, and it's reasonably priced. All of them have a lot of adverse reports compared to a low dose of ivermectin, though.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl is taking Trifexis for HW, fleas, and worms.

·
Registered
6,130 Posts
They carried the injection at one of the places I went and I asked about it and they did not recommend it. There was problems with it before and it was taken off the market, but I guess they have to carry it?
That's Proheart, I think. My vet recommended it, and I did some digging and didn't like what I found online. I saw a few reports that it was pulled off the market some years ago, then came back with a warning label - not sure how different the product is, though. That scared me off it.
PROHEART 6 RECALL
PROHEART 6 HEARTWORM MEDS RECALLED; DEATHS, ADVERSE REACTIONS!

My vet uses it on his own dogs and recommends it for clients with compliance issues with the monthly meds. We don't have compliance issues (calendar alert goes off every month on the iPhone), so we're not interested in a 6-month injectable.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Have you tried essential oil sprays? I've heard good things about them and they actually smell good instead of like deet. lol
I need to look into that. The ONLY thing i have found so far that works is something called Beauty Spa ( I'd have to look at the tube) ..brown sugar lotion...I KNOW RIGHT -- when somebody told me I'm like you're kidding right....brown sugar you would think would attract bugs...but it works fairly well. Just not as well as it did last year. This is going to be a beast of a summer. :eek:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
There was a problem because people on the internet were bashing it without actually knowing what was going on. It's been successfully used at double and triple the USA dosage in Japan and Australia for over 10 years while it's been on and off the USA market. The product is called ProHeart, and it has been re-released in the USA with very strict administration guidelines. At our practice we have owners sign a consent form. It's in the same sort of 'clinical trial' phase as most drugs go through in some parts of the united states.

The problems reported about this product were usually anaphylactic reactions (swelling of the face and similar) in dogs who had previous vaccine reactions, like temperature spikes and minor swelling with the DHLPP vaccine (most often associated with Leptosporosis vaccination, or any combo vaccine; occasionally rabies). Because few people notice mild lethargy or a temp spike in their dogs after their yearly visit their reaction was unnoticed. Because ProHeart is a sustained-release injection pets with anaphylactic reactions were essential to identify to avoid months of Benadryl or prednisone until the four month active period was over.
The majority of dogs who owners say "died" from this product were old dogs who had just received ProHeart in addition to a yearly visit, which included vaccine boosters and other tests. Because their dogs passed away so soon after the visit and because the only 'new' thing they had done was the ProHeart injection, they plastered the internet with BUYER BEWARE warnings that were never verified by a veterinarian.
Meanwhile, in Australia and Japan (where dogs receive double the amount of ProHeart serum per injection) there are as many dogs who experience complications from ProHeart as there are that experience complications with HeartGard or oral Ivermectin. Equal odds, and very low numbers on both sides.
They now use a 'risk map' to target healthy dogs of appropriate age. Your dog must be at their adult weight and no older than 7 years at the first administration. They must have no history of substance reactivity, most notably vaccine reaction. They must never have been heartworm positive (even dogs that have completed treatment).

That being said, I only have one of my dogs on ProHeart and Comfortis because we got to have one pet done for free when the rep came to our office to talk to all the staff. He has had no reactions.
Since ProHeart has been re-released to the US market our office has done over 200 injections. We have had only ONE reaction; a staff member's dog! She had no history of vaccine reaction but had swelling of the face within two hours of the injection. She was given over-the-counter Benadryl and a slug of Dex-SP which immediately controlled the reaction. She has had no follow-up care and is absolutely fine. She is no longer a candidate for the injection in the future but that is an example of what the potential reaction can be. We follow up with all our ProHeart clients with a phone call the next morning and in a week. We have received no other reports of any changes in the dogs we've injected with the product.

Three of the vets at my practice were skeptical for the same reasons y'all are. One had been working at Banfield for years and had never stopped administering it. She'd given it in her own dogs over 7 years and never saw a single issue so she was totally comfortable with it. Once the rep came and explained and we went to a few local vet dinners and chatted with other practices that had been using the product we became more comfortable with it. It's scary that we have to make our clients sign a release form, but really it's just because of the trial phase. ProHeart and its distributors are just gathering data so they can concretely 'prove' that their product carries the same minimal risks as Heartgard and that it was not solely responsible for any deaths that may have previously been associated with it.

On all my other dogs I use Trifexis and I love it. Never have to worry, and it was the lynchpin for ridding my current rental home of fleas. We had an incredibly horrible infestation when I first moved in and Trifexis was the only thing that saved my sanity.
In my part of Georgia, garlic or D.E. or any of the 'natural' remedies would make absolutely no difference to the bloodsuckers here. We didn't have a winter and the flea population is insane. To the folks for whom those products work, good on ya. But for those of us who live in areas with significant flea population... AINT NO WAY! :D

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
There was a problem because people on the internet were bashing it without actually knowing what was going on.
I never heard or knew about it, the vet is the one that did not recommend it when I asked about it for my dog while we were there, it had nothing to do with the internet in my case.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I never heard or knew about it, the vet is the one that did not recommend it when I asked about it for my dog while we were there, it had nothing to do with the internet in my case.
That wasn't to you specifically. That was just the reason they gave as to why the whole product got pulled way back when. :)

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Excellent post Marbury. While I don't use it on my dogs, I do give it to my sisters dog, she has compliance issues.

Working for a Vet, I get a lot if product cheap or free. So I don't generally have to worry about preventatives. The way we price Proheart makes it comparable to monthly pills. In fact it's almost the exact same cost.

We have never seen a reaction.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts