German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
The only time I see this phrase is on oversized breeders' websites. From what I have seen: oversized, straight-backed, softer temperaments, usually not bred for working ability or confirmation. Often long-coated. Usually very, very sweet and good with families though.

What I think it should mean: German shepherds bred to the standard who have confirmation, working ability, stable temperaments and are less likely to suffer from genetic issues. Aka: a wellbred shepherd xD

Emoore- LMAO. Best post ever.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
the opposite of the modern specialized dog , and where the breed is going .
Ahhhh...you mean the ASD...American Shepherd Dog.

·
"I like Daffy" Moderator
3,276 Posts
No, she doesn't. She is refering not just to the ASL dog, but also to the "sport dog". Carmen said "specialized" and not "specialty". The GSD is supposed to be a utility dog -- good for a multitude of uses. But instead we have breeders that specialize in a particular niche.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Any German shepherd that has Long Worth, San Rafeal, Rocky Reach, or Bernd, Bodo, Mark, or Von Bern in their pedigree?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
No, she doesn't. She is refering not just to the ASL dog, but also to the "sport dog". Carmen said "specialized" and not "specialty". The GSD is supposed to be a utility dog -- good for a multitude of uses. But instead we have breeders that specialize in a particular niche.
Originally they were herders...it was their strength and keen sense of smell and ability to ward off wolves (they were the guardsmen, the exterior herder protecting the herd and the workers - the "collies") MAN decided they were good for a multitude of uses...it was the arrogance of MAN to bastardize a breed for "show"

The modern day German Shepherd Dog is merely a designer dog complete w/a phlethora of genetic defects to go with it

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
That can be said of any line, though - good and bad examples of the breed are are everywhere.
I am specifically talking about the gross exageration to the hind end slope that has gone so far as to defining it possibly as an ASD...much like the bulldog...altered so much, that we can actually ask such a question as "old fashioned GSD"...it's one that walked tall and proud

1 - 20 of 30 Posts