German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Unfortunately some of the Hooligans have been chicken killers and that chicken would have been a tasty meal ... I'm not sure about the Hooligans I have now, I've never caught any of them chasing or killing chickens, but I sure wouldn't let a chicken around their food bowl while they're eating.

·
Registered
457 Posts
She would leave the dog food and chase the chicken, in the hopes of having fresh chicken. She has a high prey drive. My dog is a rescue and I was told that one of her former owners. and she had three before I got her at the age of two, got rid of her because she chased and killed their chickens.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I don't think my dog would have given a flying flip about his kibble with that many chickens hanging around him. :D

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I was almost afraid to watch the video:shocked: I had a hard time loading it, but from what I seen, I can say all three of my dogs would allow this, they might even walk away and come back when the chicken was done eating. The GSD(she has a med-high prey drive) would be a little more playful, the golden would ignore it, and the oldest one would acknowledge it and keep eating. All of mine are really laid back and I have never heard any of them ever growl over food, no matter what what was near the food. They've experienced eating with cats, a turtle, and a rabbit.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl wouldn't care about the chicken eating her food. She has no guarding hangups concerning food or her toys.

She would have probably killed the chicken. She has a high prey drive. Anything that moves she's on it.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta likely wouldn't have cared. Riley would have made a meal out of the darn bird. Zena certainly would have had a raw dinner. All I can say.... I hope that dog food is chicken based!

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
That chicken was hilarious. And what a sweet dobie. :wub:

Rafi has high prey drive but knows better than to act on it in a situation like this. Gio often sticks his head in Rafi's bowl while Rafi is eating. Rafi will sometimes growl but that's about it.

The chicken thought this was the best game ever and the dobie seemed like he thought it was kind of fun too.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Shasta likely wouldn't have cared. Riley would have made a meal out of the darn bird. Zena certainly would have had a raw dinner. All I can say.... I hope that dog food is chicken based!

too late to edit: Shasta likely wouldn't have cared AFTER trying to figure out what the heck that thing was and trying to play. Very patient dog.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Such a cute video!!!

I have chickens, masi hangs out with them when I allow her to, I've never fed her in front of them, tho she probably would have tolerated them eating her food, she's pretty tolerant when it comes to things like that.

Now, if those chickens were pecking at Masi's jolly ball, all bets would be off:)

My aussie on the other hand would have had those chickens pinned in a sec,

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i don't think my dog would do anything. when he was young
other dogs use to eat and drink out of bowls. when we go to
the co-op farm (food share) there's 100's of chickens walking
around and my dog is off leash and he never bothers the chickens.
the chickens walk all around him and close to him.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
The Dobe was so cute, love his ears folding up.

Hmm, I honestly don't think Rusty would care about his food being eaten but he would be very interested in the chicken having never seen one. Don't think he would even hurt the chicken....want to chase it...oh yes!

·
Registered
780 Posts
LOL, that's a chicken with a big attitude.

Spirit wouldn't defend his food, but not sure the chicken would have been safe.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's one nice Dobe ( would be better cropped) but still beautiful however my pup would chase the chickens lol he chases the cat all the time

·
Registered
10,363 Posts
Wow, what a sweet dog and I love the ears. WD would have killed off all the chickens before he was that age. Awesome video.

·
Registered
232 Posts
That's one nice Dobe ( would be better cropped) but still beautiful however my pup would chase the chickens lol he chases the cat all the time
I've never understood this. The dog is beautiful without his ears being sliced. It's actually illegal here in Ireland to crop dogs and I imagine soon it will be illegal to dock tails as it is becoming increasingly frowned upon.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wow!

Our girls behavior would depend if my lovely bride or myself were present. If one of us was outside with them, they would look to us for permission to go after them. My wife would say "leave it" and that would be it. If we were not there. . . . . . . . . dead chickens.

I get in trouble letting them chase squirrels.:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts