German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are in an obedience class with all of the dogs lined up across one end of the room. And each handler/dog in turn was going to the end of the line at a particular end, leaving the dog and walking out about 25' to do a recall.

My friend took her GSD (about 18 mo old) and started to do the recall. But her dog started to do the recall but got about half way to her and then decided that he wanted to go visit a Lab about half way in the line of dogs and started trotting up that way.

One of the other handlers evidently thought that the GSD was coming toward his dog (a Dobe) (he wasn't as he was just trotting along to the Lab, not even that close to the Dobe) and decided to take offense and "protect" his Dobe. He raised one arm above his head and rushed toward the GSD yelling and waving his arms at him. The GSD turned and went back to his handler (actually behind her!).

I was thinking what my GSD would have done in his place and I really think that he would have reacted very differently. This was partly due to his reaction in the class.

So I was curious as to what anyone would think what their dogs would do if someone threatened them like that??

And how would you WANT them to react to a direct threat like this?

·
Registered
386 Posts
i couldn't imagine another handler doing that flailing their arms around.. that may provoke an attack, but since your at an obedience class, i would "assume" that the dogs are pretty well trained w/ other dogs (but ive been wrong quite a bit xc: )

when i see other dogs coming in my direction i usually grab scout by the collar, bend down and have him focus on me and tell him every thing is ok.. but right now he's a little scared of other dogs.. EVEN A LITTLE POM!!! LOL

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
What did the training instructor do? Was this discussed within the group? I would hope so.
WANT~If someone waived their arms at my dogs, I would want the dog to ignore that person and I would call them to me, they would obey the command.
What would happen.... well Onyx would probably bark and act aggressive(fear based), Kacie would hide behind me, and Karlo may do a hold and bark?

Montana~ good that you have your dog focus on you, but don't tell him its ok, that is re-enforcing his behavior of fear.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
My dog would have play bowed, run up to the guy, swat him with his paw, and try to play with him. I don't know why, but whenever you run up to him in a threatening stance he gets all goofy and thinks it's play time. I don't think he's ever been scared in his life.

I think running back to the owner is the appropriate response, because the guy was threatening the dog, not the owner. I think a german shepherd should run to protect itself if it's alone(they can run so fast, it's really the best method of protecting themselves), but fight back if the threat is towards its family.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I would hope the instructor would have had a class discussion as to HOW TO APPROACH A LOOSE DOG because, that is not a safe way to do so. Also had a discussion with the Dobe's owner about class ediquette(sp?).

I can see Stark barking at this man as we train for him to do so weekly (threatening man wearing a bite sleeve approaches him.. bark and hold).

What I would hope would happen though is when I called him back to me he would ignore the weirdo and come quickly to me.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Montana~ good that you have your dog focus on you, but don't tell him its ok, that is re-enforcing his behavior of fear.
well its more reassuring that the other dog isn't going to hurt him... not that he's fearful of the dog... but you do put it in a different perspective... what would be proper? just focus on my and play with him until the dogs have passed? or if im walking him and pass a fenced in dog?

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What happened was that baron, my dog and a close friend of my friends GSD, went to the end of the leash and barked at the guy. Probably because I yelled at the guy and told him basically that wasn't too bright1 As the dog was definetly not even coming close to his chicken Dobe and it was a very good way to get bitten if he tried it to the wrong dog.

The class instructor did take him and my friend aside and talked to both of them. And fortunately nothing like that ever occured again in class.

There unfortunately are a number of similar thinking folks in the obedience club who think that because most dogs will back down to a person who acts like that guy did. I will feel really bad when they meet the large dog who is not basically afraid of people and will react when threatened.

Interesting discussion.

·
Registered
27,294 Posts
well its more reassuring that the other dog isn't going to hurt him... not that he's fearful of the dog... but you do put it in a different perspective... what would be proper? just focus on my and play with him until the dogs have passed? or if im walking him and pass a fenced in dog?
Yes, have your pup focus on you, treats or a high value toy while you pass. Reprimanding will make him think that his reaction causes a correction, correction comes from what he is reacting about, so that backfires.
And comforting will have him think he is doing the right thing by reacting. Best to ignore his reactiveness, and re-direct before he has a chance to react.

Codmaster, it is good that the training instructor talked with them...always a training opportunity to be had!
We never know what our dogs will do or how people/ other dogs react.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Wow, I have been in a lot of dog classes and have even been charged by a chocolate lab, and I have had my puppy charged by a dog and have never seen a reaction like that.

My dog would probably RUN back to me.

I have stepped in front of my pup so that the labradoodle could not eat the puppy. But that was like on the first day of classes.

So, why is it people are walking 25' away and doing a recall when the recall is not solid? I understand that at some point you have to increase distance and add distractions, but if the dog is liable to go visiting, they should not have been that far away in my opinion..

I do not think my dogs would run back to me in that situation because they are afraid of people. I think that it would startle them, as it has never happened before. But they would probably put two and two together, and remember that I called them, and they were being corrected for not following the command. "Oh yeah, I was suppose to go to my Suzie, Right." Of course they would never get the chance because big as I might be, if my dog started going toward another dog rather than coming when I called, no crazy Doberman guy would get to my dog before I do.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
What do you know about the Doberman and how the dog reacts to other dogs in his space?

My reaction would vary by dog. But I would at the least be in front of my dog and ready to step up if need be - and agree - if they can't do the recall they need to be on a long line.

Love the machismo comment - agree. I would hope my dogs would come to me in that situation.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
My Terrier would run from him, barking. He is very fearful (working on it) and is more afraid of men. This would probably give him flashbacks of his previous owner (male) and of getting beat (by said male) and he would bite IF he were cornered, but if he can run away (he is small so even if cornered he is good about slipping through legs) he will and would run to me.

Bailey, My GSD would probably just stand there and stare at him with the "wow you are such an idiot" look she gives, then do her "huff" and proceed to wherever she was going to.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nash would probably look at him weird and go to me. I would hope he wouldn't ignore the recall in the first place though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think if the man were between Dagny and me, she would stand, flatten her ears, raise her hackles, and bark at him until he stopped - possibly move toward him if he kept coming toward her.

If I were behind her, I think she'd turn around and come to me, especially if I called her. She's very good with recall, but if she thought I was being threatened, she'd hold her ground until she knew I wasn't in danger. (she's a lover until she thinks you're coming after her mama!)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
If I recalled, Masi would come to me, however, if I didn't, and the guy was close, I'm sure she'd show him a good bark/hold

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
My reaction wouldn't have been very good. I'm not sure what Jax would have done. Probably hid behind me since she doesn't react to me yelling very well but I've seen her have a very strong reaction to people that are acting strange so I'm just not sure.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What do you know about the Doberman and how the dog reacts to other dogs in his space?..................................
Hi Jean,

I am not sure what difference it would make about what we know about the Dobe? As it came out later, the dobe was basically afraid of other dogs (according to the owner in a talk with the instructor); but the GSD was no where really near the Dobe and was just quietly trotting over toward the Lab who was about 6/7 dogs up the line from the Lab.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One other question for you GSD owners.

To those who have a Sch trained GSD - would you expect such a dog to react differently than the majority of non trained GSD's?

If so, would you expect a bite or more of a "Bark & Hold". And if a "bad guy" moves during the B&H, is the dog supposed to bite then?

I am surprised at the number of folks here who so far would want their GSD to run back to the owner if they are threatened. I would not have expected that although I realize it would cut the number of court appearances perhaps.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts