German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm in a bit of a quandry.

I'm getting ready to go back to school in the fall. I'll be moving to Knoxville and be living on the very limited income I can draw from loans (the program I'll be in is so demanding that I will literally not be allowed to work).

Before going back to school became a reality, I had planned on getting Gabe neutered at 2 years, at which time I would also have his umbilical hernia fixed and I had strongly considered gastropexy as well, purely for my own peace of mind.

Due to the very limited budget I'll have during the 2.5 years I'm in school again, if I don't get Gabe neutered before we move in late August/early September, I'd have to wait until afterward. Right now, he is 15 months.

I wouldn't mind him being intact so much except that all of these things are on my mind:

1) Getting an apartment would probably be easier with him neutered
2) His hernia (not a BIG concern, but still)
3) Gabe's father bloated and died in April, giving me even more concern about bloat

So what would you do in my situation? Go ahead and bite the bullet? Or wait and take your chances?

I appreciate any advice or thoughts you can offer on this.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
Why not put the money in the bank and ear-mark it for the operation? And do the operation when you had intended to do it.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not put the money in the bank and ear-mark it for the operation? And do the operation when you had intended to do it.
I suppose that's something to consider. I just worry when I don't have a vet up there that I know/trust.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
I suppose that's something to consider. I just worry when I don't have a vet up there that I know/trust.
Ok. Why would it be easier on a dog in an apartment to be neutered?

So your going off to school for a couple of years. Do you have folks back here where your vet is? Are you going to come home on holidays/vacations. Could you set it up during your winter break?

I do not understand the need to neuter at all. I am much more concerned about tacking the stomach since the sire bloated, but I am not sure if I would rather buy health insurance for the dog. If the dog bloats, and you catch it in time, at that point they will most likely tack the stomach. I am not sure I would want to do this as a preventive measure, and especially so young, while the dog is still growing.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
It will probably be easier to get an apartment if your dog is neutered (I assume that's what the OP meant).

You could ask on here for good vets in the Knoxville area.

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
Potential landlords ask?

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Yes, I have had some ask, especially ones that know dogs, the ones that don't have a clue usually don't. They are concerned with marking and behavioral issues, some see them as non-issues, it would be the landlords discretion as how they feel, it is there house/property. Many people don't think the CGC means anything and it can for people that rent, especially with insurance companies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts