German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our puppy is 13 weeks and she has been doing the normal land sharking. We can take toys bones etc. and no growling or biting. Today she shocked me and I don't know why she did it. I was teaching here come with charlie bears. She did really well and we were all done and I was praising her and petting her. All the sudden out of no where she bit my face. She didn't break skin. I told her loudly no. I got up and left her in the room by herself. Then all afternoon she is back to going after my four year old. I just keep telling her no and giving her toys. If she is really bad biting him I put her in time out. One second she will walk up and kiss him while he is playing with a truck them she go for his leg. She has got him pretty good. He feeds her, gives her treats. Makes her sit just like us. He ignore her. He does really well teaching her the alpha dog. He doesn't want her near him tonight. I can't blame him. She keeps jumping up on the couch for days and we keep putting her down and tell her down. I am just at a loss when she went for my face while loving her and praising her. She did it to my hubby two days ago. Any suggestions? I don't think telling her no and leaving her in the room is going to work with her. We do all the alpha with her she doesn't go out the door ahead of us she eats last. I am experienced gsd but I have never had a dog go for your face while praising her. She started stealing my sons toys today and running under the ottoman and hiding I don't want to chase her. So I ignored her she dropped the toy.
Until the second time she just kept chewing the toy. I had to get it and offer her toy. I don't want to start chasing her for things she can't have.Ignoring her while she is chewing up the toy is not working.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
. She is trying to establish she is the alpha.
No she isn't
I am just at a loss when she went for my face while loving her and praising her. She did it to my hubby two days ago. Any suggestions?
Jumping up and snapping at the face isn't that uncommon. Typical landshark puppy behavior. My puppy got me good inside my nostril with one of his canine teeth. My knee-jerk reaction was to immediately backhand him out of sheer pain and surprise, but I immediately felt bad about it, even though I was bleeding all over my shirt. This isn't anything serious, aggressive, or dominating. Just a puppy being a puppy. Keep doing all the bite inhibition stuff you know how to do.

Seriously, I know how you feel. Every single one of us has gone through this when they're 12-15 weeks old. We know they like to bite, we know they're landsharks, we know there's a new thread every single day about puppy biting, but nobody else's puppy can possibly be this bad. Right?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I doubt that she is trying to be the alpha. I have been bitten in the face by a few puppies. Children are the perfect targets. They are small and always running around and yelling. Puppies love to chase and bite kids. Our 12 week old puppy just bit our 3 year old daughter on the rear today when she was running through the house. My now four year old Shepherd loved to chase and nip the kids when she was a puppy. It took time and training and she outgrew it and is the sweetest dog ever with the kids.

It sucks and it can be hard to get through. Just be consistent, keep her busy, and always watch her with your son. She will outgrow it. Good luck with her.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She got my hubby on the nostril the other day. She didn't like that he got up and ignored her. It's just bad for my son. He is really good with dogs and he is just laying there playing with his playmoblie and she runs up and bites him. He even got up and tried playing ball with her thinking she wanted his attention. Nothing worked. I am just worried with her with his face. She needs to go with me into the laundry room and kitchen til I can trust her. She is strong willed and I need to make sure when my hubby isn't home. She seems to try more. My husband noticed it to and I am strict with her. She walks by my side out for a walk she pulls my hubby.

·
Registered
208 Posts
She needs to go with me into the laundry room and kitchen til I can trust her.
Yes, definitely. Your child shouldn't have to fear being bitten by a mouthy puppy, and if she's at a stage where she is doing it all the time, the only time the two should be together is when you're sitting Right There to make sure the teeth are diverted to a toy. I have a five year old who is great with animals and he understands with our new pup (who isn't landsharky, thank god) that if he gets rough, he needs to stand up and tell him "NO!". Most of the time that's enough, but when Brisket's wound up, I either sequester him in the room I'm in, or he goes into his kennel until he mellows. If your pup can't keep his mouth off your kid, he shouldn't be given the opportunity. I think children have a right to feel safe in their home, including safe from painful bites done in play.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right track, takes a lot of time, consistency and patience. At that age, they just don't know better....and you're right you don't want your son to be scared. There was about a 3 month period that Sherman was not allowed around the kids without being tethered to me....I thought those days of uncontrollable teeth would never end. I'm happy to report @ 10 months old, he is far from perfect....but he now spends his days sleeping on the living room rug while 2 two year olds play in the same room with all their toys and he doesn't even give them or their stuff a second look. (I still don't leave them unattended, but at least he isn't attached to my waist anymore) The craziness started to really wean off around 6-7 months and continues to get better everyday.....so there is hope!

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I don't think time out is going to have any effect on helping with this problem. Anytime a puppy of mine(and I have a 12 week old right now that is very strong), does an unprovoked bite, especially to the face, they receive a correction strong enough to bring a yelp from them and put them in submission....period!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Also try increasing the amount of exercise she gets. She is getting older and needs a greater amount of outlet for all of her energy. Just because the play periods make you tired, doesn't mean it makes her tired as well.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I don't think time out is going to have any effect on helping with this problem. Anytime a puppy of mine(and I have a 12 week old right now that is very strong), does an unprovoked bite, especially to the face, they receive a correction strong enough to bring a yelp from them and put them in submission....period!
Wonder if that looks like what I did by accident?

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I think the pup needs some crate time away from the toddler and humans. And the humans need some time away from the puppy. A crate can be a wonderful thing. It helps preserve the pup/human relationship, saves furniture, socks and shoes. ;)

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Get out that flirtpole and tire her out!

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
It also just helps to structure their time-the thing I like about the Monks of New Skete book is they have a schedule they follow with their puppies-think that helps feeding time, play time crate time

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
This is one of those situations where I don't quite like the "redirect" method. I know its today's preferred method of teaching a dog, but with a 4 year old running around I don't know how long you can wait for your puppy to understand that she can't bite people and can only bite toys. Sometime this takes months and in a few months she will be the size of the 4 year old.

I don't even know if supervised interaction between the pup and kid will help, the nip can happen so quickly that you might not have time to redirect. I'm with cliff on this one, you need to start thinking about correcting.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
The issue is an unprovoked bite to the face....some of these ancillary tactics will not process to the pup to stop this behavoit. You can do this behavoir tired or when you come out of the crate. This behavoir is serious and you should deal with it like the mother of the puppy would deal with it. JMO

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
This is a serious behavoir,(unprovoked biting to face), some of the ancillary tactics will have no impact on the dog continuing to do this. They can bite unprovoked when tired or released from the crate. The specific behavoir has to be addressed in the DOG'S mind. I would deal with the puppy the same way their mother would deal with them for something this serious. The potential for this behavoir to escalate and become much more problemattic in the future, nothwithstanding dangerous, is not worth the footsy approach.JMO

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
The issue is an unprovoked bite to the face....some of these ancillary tactics will not process to the pup to stop this behavoit. You can do this behavoir tired or when you come out of the crate. This behavoir is serious and you should deal with it like the mother of the puppy would deal with it. JMO
Could you maybe clarify on how you would do it? Pinning? Scruffing? Shouting? Backhanding across the kitchen like I did? I think a lot of folks are afraid to correct a young pup because we're not quite sure how to go about it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Could you maybe clarify on how you would do it? Pinning? Scruffing? Shouting? Backhanding across the kitchen like I did? I think a lot of folks are afraid to correct a young pup because we're not quite sure how to go about it.
Definetely elaborate...I never did it this way as I didn't want to do it wrong and make the pup handshy or worse.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
If the OP wants to send me a pm, I'll respond.....but I'll stick to just commenting on behavoir and where it could lead to. Plenty of experts on this forum that should be able to go into specifics if they wish....I don't.

·
Registered
30,384 Posts
Shouting? Backhanding across the kitchen like I did? I think a lot of folks are afraid to correct a young pup because we're not quite sure how to go about it.
That was my reaction when Jax was 3 months and nailed me in the face out of the blue. I felt horrible. But she never did it again.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts