German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need serious help.

I go on vacation at the end of this month and while I would love to take lulu with us my husband wont have it. I took Lulu to the vet today. The vet recommended not doing the flu shot as he believes its completely unnecessary. I did the parvo booster and kennel cough shot. If I need to in 10 days I will go back and get the flu shot but...

Now the problem. I cant seem to find a decent place to board Lulu. The place I do feel comfortable using requires the flu shot... every other place I have looked at have bad reviews or dont have a pond or swimming pool in the play area. Lulu gets really hot and the water is kind of important to me.

So this is a two parter. First if you know of a place thats really good please let me know. Second, and the main question, if you were me would you get the shot and go where you are comfortable or would you risk going to some other place you havent used and maybe not so comfortable but didnt get the shot?

Please honest opinions.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I would go with what I know vs the unknown..

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
I don't think I would allow the lack of a pool or pond to be the limiting factor. I would be more concerned that the environment was healthy, they have good policies to ensure other dogs are healthy, and that the grounds are secure. Safety would be my number 1, and the experience/repuation of the kennel owner should indicate that.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think I would allow the lack of a pool or pond to be the limiting factor. I would be more concerned that the environment was healthy, they have good policies to ensure other dogs are healthy, and that the grounds are secure. Safety would be my number 1, and the experience/repuation of the kennel owner should indicate that.
I agree about safety being the primary concern I just happened to read a review for one of these places that killed a dog because they left him out side with no water or shelter. It made me shutter and stuck with me.

·
Registered
31,836 Posts
Water is a bucket, filled each day, and checked to ensure it is sufficient in the heat of the day. A dog can often dump a water dish early on, and then they would be left without water. I used bucket holders, and clip some buckets to the fencing, and the dogs do not spill them.

They dog like to put their feet in them, and one of the bitches has a party paddling hers out of her bucket, but they always leave enough to suffice. But a dog not used to the routine, may not be so lucky, so they really need to check water 2-3 times per day, to ensure that it is sufficient.

I do not think I would like my dog having regular access to a pond or a pool. That would have to be totally supervised at all times. Dogs can drown. And, standing water will harbor bacteria that can cause all sorts of digestive issues.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I do not think I would like my dog having regular access to a pond or a pool. That would have to be totally supervised at all times. Dogs can drown. And, standing water will harbor bacteria that can cause all sorts of digestive issues.
This was my immediate concern. Is home boarding out of the question?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont have anyone who can care for her as needed. The pools/ponds are supervised and only available during group play (2x a day).

·
Registered
701 Posts
My vet requires the flu shot for boarding. The kennel I boarded Ilka at over Christmas didn't, though. I'm not concerned about things like pools and play areas, because Ilka doesn't like other dogs. She's boarded because she won't let anyone (like oh, the house-sitter) in the house while we're gone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts