German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
I have thought about these talking buttons before but I only can foresee Buffy would drive me crazy with them 馃槀 She is quite good to communicate with us what she wants so I better leave those. Or I can try with a button to say 'huggle' and see how it goes:ROFLMAO::unsure:

Registered
I put bells on my back door. My dog liked the sound and rang them all the time with such gusto the metal ruined the door. I had to refinish the door. I removed the bells and my dog started reacting to all bell sounds because鈥ell鈥ecause a bell means something. So now I can鈥檛 use my phone chimes or watch a tv show with phone chimes or elevator dings. Moral of the story: Don鈥檛 do it!

Super Moderator
I use the That Was Easy button from long ago as a target for the command "step". I figured it was appropriate. but I look at all of those closely spaced buttons and wonder how a dog remembers which is which. I'd have trouble with it

Registered
Ha, ha, when i read the first post, I thought that this was typically something interesting for a Labradoodle and then I saw the video 馃槄. Another annoying toy, just like Hungry Hippos for kids

Registered
Fern
This stuff is super fascinating when done properly and the dog understands it's an open line of communication (going both ways) rather than a "demand" button. I still haven't read through all her material. It's cool to see the possibilities and exploration of how much communication a dog is capable of. I was hoping this will open channels and motivations for academic research on the level of cognition/language learning, how proximity with humans changed them compared to other canids, and information on the evolution of humans as well. Very neat!

Registered
It's fun as an experiment to let the dog express moods and what's on their minds at a particular moment through human concepts (words)
The main interesting aspect for me is to see what free associations the dog may make, like how something in the environment could trigger memories or reminiscences.
If my girl saw a big brown dog through the window for instance she may push the "Marley" (big brown friend of hers) button because it triggers memories of Marley, etc
Totally random example but you know, fun stuff may come out of it.
What I less like about this trend is how excited people are about grammar and tense. I think there's too much anthropomorphic emphasis on how a sentence is built and people expecting dogs to make whole sentences.
I don't believe in that.
I don't think dogs have rational conceptual discourse at all, I believe reminiscences of experience pop up/are triggered in their minds in a primitive way, then trigger the next one, a bit like dominos.
"Marley > play > outside" would be a likely series for a big brown dog trigger for instance, and could probably occur in any order actually.
But not "Marley is walking outside now. Daddy will take me outside after work. Marley is a nice dog. I love him."
That's human thinking.

I'll never have these at home though 馃槀
I don't have the patience and I don't think I'd learn anything groundbreaking.

Registered
Bear - 2 year old male GSD, 5 cats, a snake and 6 rats.
I put bells on my back door. My dog liked the sound and rang them all the time with such gusto the metal ruined the door. I had to refinish the door. I removed the bells and my dog started reacting to all bell sounds because鈥ell鈥ecause a bell means something. So now I can鈥檛 use my phone chimes or watch a tv show with phone chimes or elevator dings. Moral of the story: Don鈥檛 do it!
We did potty bells too and he sure did abuse them! He would use them when he wanted to sit on the porch, go out with the kids, greet the mailman ect. We removed them promptly. Now he boops the door handle with his nose and stares at us. Haha

Super Moderator
My gal-dog might be OK learning to play with those tools, but my male would have only been frustrated. He learned most ideas quickly, but if a new skill didn't make sense to him or took to long to figure out how to please me, he'd quit. There were games I was supposed to play with him for Citizen Science projects and since there were no end goals he didn't like them. He'd look at me as if to say, Just let me know when you come back to your senses".
My gal-dog might play along but I can just imagine her thinking, "why hit the Outside button when I can say the same thing by staring at the door ?"

Registered
1 - 18 of 18 Posts