German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first Xander used a small dog dish for water and that got upgraded to the large bucket he has now.

The problem is that every day he is dumping it - several times a day - I think it's become a game for him which, while adorable, can get frustrating that I have to refill water every 15 minutes.

I know the water is and has always been fresh since I clean it out every night and replace the water with fresh water during the day as needed so it never gets dirty...so, I don't think that's why he's doing it - I think that, like I said, it's fun for him.

So - what bowls/dog dishes/troughs/lakes do you use to supply your GSD with water. Tomorrow I think I might head over to Lowe's to get something large...really big that he can't tip or carry around.

I just don't know if there are certain materials that definitely need to be avoided - metals, plastics, etc.

As I write this he's out there proudly carrying around his bucket :D

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
I use a stainless bucket from Tractor Supply.
You are letting him carry around his bucket...don't complain that he is dumping his water!! Get a pic before you break him of the habit:)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I use stainless steel bowls - and I know several people that use the stainless dog buckets (or horse buckets b/c they're cheaper) from TSC. I like stainless b/c I can stick in the dishwasher to be cleaned up and it's not porous so it doesn't harbor as much bacteria as, say, ceramic or plastic...

I would agree - sounds like your pup has found a great fun game! ;)

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Oh, i had a foster dog that did this. When he was here I used a big cast iron pot for his water. The kind you use to cook a whole bunch of potatoes or pasta in? Too heavy for him to carry off or dump over.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I use a no-spill bowl on the floor. Buckets are clipped in crates and outdoor pens when in there.

The no-spill gets carried sometimes too but is not as messy.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like stainless is probably the way to go. :)

I do have to get a picture of it - I love that he is SO proud of his bucket. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts