German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to be in Akron tomorrow to show Rushie in obedience. This is my first try at it.

The dog has been absolutely miserable for the past six weeks. He decided to go through a stupid-phase NOW!

He is a Rally dog. He used to be solid on down-stays, sit stays, come fronts, Stand, and healing on lead.

This past week we have been working off lead a lot. Progress has been made. However, the following issues have cropped up:

I have never tried to call him front with my hands at my sides. So I started that this week. Now he comes to me, sometime via the whippy dip place, he sits crooked in front of me. If he sits straight, it is for a micro-second and then he jumps up on me.

Sometimes he finishes fine, sometimes he wonders in an exaggerated radius to find the spot next to my leg.

I stand him and get ready for the stand, finally tell him to stay, and walk away. Sometimes he follows me. Sometimes he stays, but when I return, I get all the way to the shoulder and then he breaks.

Down-stays, he is breaking.

Sit stays, he is breaking.

Oh and we never used people posts for the figure eight, just little orange cones, or building posts. Worst yet, the boy has started frisking people for treats -- perfect strangers!!! I get the general idea that if someone offers him a milkbone he will follow them home!

Is there anything else I might screw up tomorrow AND Sunday???

Is there a "Perfect" drug I can slip him tonight in his kibble that will give me 24 hours of Super-Doggie???

I am desperate!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I don't know of super drugs for dogs, but if it were me, I would drink a can of beer before trialing to try to relax.

If he doesn't know something today, he wont tomorrow (even when good luck happens as much as bad) so focus in what he does right and... Have a great moment!

Best wishes for both of you!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Your problem reminds me of this. Ken told me this at a trial we was at and he was our judge. ( I was talking to him after we had made out run)

Here's a new way to train. This poem was written by Ken Nagler, an
Obedience Judge and Director of the Canine Training Association in
Maryland. For those of you who do not know Ken, he's 86 years old and
just started agility last year! :) I think this may be how he's
getting around his courses at agility trials! LOL! :)

Now clicker training's quite the fad.
Results for some are not too bad.
The concept stemmed from Pavlov's hound
Responding to some special sound.
The dog would start to salivate
Before he got the food he ate.
The modern click does much the same.
Enhancing our dog-training game

By causing Fido's hopes to raise--
Anticipating treats or praise.
Sometimes you click to no avail,
And other methods also fail.

No matter how you plead or shout,
Sometimes the dog just won't put out
When asked to sit or heel or stay,
Thus giving you a rotten day.

It makes you feel quite like a fool,
And then you start to lose your cool.
But if other methods fail for you,
There's something else that you can do.

Try "liquor training," that's its name,
To help you with your dog-sport game.
"How does this method work?" you ask.
Well, first you get a little flask,

Containing gin or other booze
Of any kind that you may choose.
Each time your dog decides to goof,
You take a sip of 80 proof.

It helps the handler to relax
And minimize the stress attacks.
When the handler's mood is more at ease,
The dog may sometimes try to please,

Or, then again may still refuse
To mind his training P's and Q's.
But whether foul results or fair
When you liquor train -- you just don't care!

Written by
~Ken Nagler~

·
Registered
31,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I liked the poem. Too bad I read this after the show. Next time I will have to have a flask on hand.

We did awful.

Rushie healed ok on leash and off (for the most part). He pretty much sat when I stopped and all of that, though that first sit was kind of slow.

He did the figure eight ok, even though we only did it around cones and posts prior and never around people.

He wouldn't stand to save his life. Forget the stay. He turned into a noodle and would not stand. The judge NQ'd us but told me to try and stand him again. Nope, it wasn't happening. (He has done this in class!)

It looked like I never trained him.

I took him back for the recall, he wouldn't stay! So he did not get the opportunity to do a run-by or a micro-sit and jump all over me.

We went back in for sits and downs. He forgot what STAY meant and came trotting after me. The other dogs were doing this, though only 1 or 2 did not NQ, so the judge didn't have me try the long down.

He has been through more training than any of my other dogs, and I worked with him every night this week, save last night (after he passed a CGC that we already had as a class graduation).

I think that one of us needs a labotomy.

I am not going back tomorrow.

I thought about adjusting my goal for Madison (mid-July), but maybe we should just do Rally Advanced with him instead. We STILL need to work on the STAND and STAY though!

Mangey Mutt!

On the bright side, everyone that saw him LOVED him. If I wanted to get rid of him, I could have easily today.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Oh boy, tough luck. How old is he?

When I come up against "doggie amnesia", I go back to the basics. You mentioned a couple of things you'd never done before - like calling him front with your hands at your sides, using people posts. Since dogs don't generalize, this will look different to him and he probably won't know what to do. Break down to the very basic level and build up again. Start over.

I started in Rally also, so I can relate. Although they are similar, I treat them as two different things and train specifically for OB exercises, the way they are to be done in the ring - forgetting all previous Rally stuff.

We've got some good OB people on this board - I'm sure they'll have good advice. Hang in there!

·
Registered
31,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rushie turned two on January 31. We need to start again. Bummer. I am really thinking of just doing Rally Advanced with him. The thing is, there is nothing in that CD that he has had trouble with. It must be brain damage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just for a FYI, don't forget in novice that you are touch Rushie to get him to stand.

And I loved what was said earlier as to concentrate on what he does right and have fun.

Possibly obedience is to teach us all humility!

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
ahhh our dogs love to humble us :))))

Something I did ALOT with Sami, when starting to do obedience with her,,(which she found a total BORE),,,I ignored her,,and I mean just that,,no practicing, nothing a few days before a trial, and she'd be on total ignore..that would PEE her off BIG TIME,
so when we trialed, she'd be sooooo happy to do anything I asked :))

I have found with all of my gsd's especially,,to much repetition of something they 'know', turns them off, shuts them down,,they know it they want to move on..

Just some thoughts
diane

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I just saw this and my advice would have been to not go until you had trained abit more. So sorry it did not go well for you. It will come - have patience.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hmmm....I like the "total ignore" idea, Diane. Sounds like it might work on my boy, Eli. I think he's starting to take me for granted. Maybe he needs to be reminded of how much fun I provide in his life everyday, LOL!

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Hey, it sounds like you were at one of my trials! The eldest and I have a fine record of blowing them.
What helped me? Relaxing. Just figuring what the heck we were there we might as well do it regardless of the conditions... Worked a lot better!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I can only say this as I am finally getting to the relaxing phase. Not totally relaxed but I can breathe at this point.

GSDs are dogs that I really believe have ESP. I can hide nothing from my dogs. If I am upset over anything, Sammy & Halley pick up on it. So I am learning to relax and it has helped Halley so much. She wants to please me so very much so I have to be extremely careful to keep upbeat.

We now go in with the idea to have fun and I concentrate on what Halley does right. I am happier and I know Halley is happier. Keep on training and just have more fun. In the years ahead, I won't remember our scores--just the fun we have working together.

·
Registered
31,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all, had the boy at class tonight. Started yet another one. We are aiming for July now, shows in Madison. I did nothing with him at all since Saturday, and tonight he wasn't wonderful, specifically on getting him to stand, but he stayed (for the most part) recalled pitifully (didn't sit in front, but came). He heeled well and did come fronts ok.

I guess they posted the score sheets so my trainer, who was at the show with her dogs, checked my score sheet out and said I only lost six points on healing off lead, and six healing on lead. So I really did ok on those.

She also said that in her class there were ten dogs and only one qualified, and that people were NQing all over, partly because of the distractions and location.

I think that maybe that was some of it, maybe some of it was over-doing it with training the week of the show, and the rest of it was nerves (mine).

So back to the drawing board....

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
I cannot remember how many trials over how many miles it took me to get the eldest's CD. I can tell you the circumstances under which we qualified.
1. I drove across Wyoming in a rain storm, arrived in a muddy location with pot holes in the motel parking lot & puddles all over the site. I said "why the heck did I bother?" but I was there so we went in the next day. (I had written it off.)
2. I was on vacation 1000 miles from home. The home in which I was staying was utter chaos the night before so we retreated to a camper. It was raining the next day, the show was outside (first outside show), there was a train that went by about a block away, too. I told my friend not to expect much.
3. Although I went down the night before, they had closed access to the obedience building and I couldn't set up my crates or look at the venue. I was annoyed because I had taken that afternoon off work and I didn't yet have any time to spare.

All the "perfect" set ups with lots of prep time & ideal conditions we blew.

If it were me, I'd try not to worry about the #$% drawing board and just go figuring what happens happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts