German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. After you picked your breeder and picked your puppy and are on the waiting list of a litter that has already been born, I was wondering what types of questions you would ask the breeder about your pups personality? Do you ask them questions? or just wait and see for yourself? By questions i mean personality type questions such as was he/she a bully, were they bullied. Or were they shy, etc.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Well, generally breeders pick the dog for you based on these types of personality and drives that are apparent at the earliest age possible, etc.

Then they would go on to tell you why and these reasons would be included. :)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I did not pick my puppy, the breeder did. I told the breed very specifically what I wanted in a dog and what I wanted to with him so that's what type of puppy was picked for me. I have to say they picked the perfect dog for me too.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is pretty much what happened with me as well. My breeder picked the perfect girl for me. I was just wondering though, since I never asked my breeders questions, but now I am curious to certain things. Navah was terrified of German Shepherds and we had to do some training with other Shepherds to get her used to them, among others things it made me wonder if she was the runt or bullied. I guess it’s not important (I wanted a companion pet, not working) but it made me curious to see why she was picked for me and how she was picked. I just never asked. I was thinking of writing my breeder and asking her but I wasn’t sure if that would be a bother to her and annoying lol.

·
Registered
936 Posts
My breeder knew what we were like so we went there and before she would tell us anything she had us spend time with the pups that met our basic criteria (coated), then asked our opinion. After that she went through the temperament tests, etc and we actually matched what she had chosen for us.

We wanted high social, high inquisitive, lower dominance, etc. We wanted a dog we could travel with, sit in outdoor cafes, have people meet, feel good about dog to dog greetings and could still chill at home.

Our boy is 5 months old now and friendly as a lab, is popular at doggie daycare and treats new objects or people without fear. Asa bonus he also can sleep from like 6-8 pm which is awesome for TV watching :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
My breeder told us a lot about the puppy she had picked for us and why she had. We needed a very social puppy so that s/he would be able to go to work with my husband and be comfortable having many customers come in and out. With that in mind as well as our lifestyle, she gave us the most social puppy in the litter, and she went through the whole temperament test and discussed each point, and what that meant for us in real life =) We had actually said we preferred a male, but the day she was picking she called us and said the males were all to "in your face" to ever be happy at work with hubby, and asked if we would be happy with a female - which of course was alright.

I have a great relationship with my breeder and email her questions quite often, so if I were you, I would ask. I like knowing things like that!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a great relationship with my breeder and email her questions quite often, so if I were you, I would ask. I like knowing things like that!
Thanks! I feel better now. My breeder has always been amazing and whenever i had written her in the past she always got back to me and answered my questions in great detail (such as food, fixing, etc).

I love my little girl and want to know everything about her, including her life before i was her human. She is my first breeder dog so sometimes i feel silly and noobish with the whole thing lol.

Thank you for all your stories. It’s amazing just how great these breeders are that they can tell at such a young age who your new best friend for the next decade or so will be. It was the same with my breeder, she honestly could not have picked a better dog for me. I love hearing these stories =).

·
Registered
522 Posts
I told Skylar's breeder what i wanted in my dog (companion/rally-o) and my lifestyle, that i'm home all the time, I'm NOT a tough person (personality-wise, i'm a softy, so a more driven dog would've been horrible.) We go out hiking/beach a lot, walks a lot, but i have days where i'm ill and she'd just have to run around the yard, so the breeder picked skylar out- super easy going, peaceful, she's really sensitive to how i'm feeling and she knows that when i'm sick, she can't go for hikes etc, so she's happy chewing bones in her crate and running in our yard with our other dogs.

So really, i didn't pick skylar- but i kind of did- the breeder let me pick up all of the dogs, and told me which 2 would be best for my lifestyle- then i picked skylar from those 2 :)

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
My breeder is going to pick my puppy for me. She asked me questions about myself and she'll apply that to what puppy out of the litter is going to suit me best.

She has a way of evaluating puppies' personalities on her site, it's some type of test. When I get my puppy, she'll send me a paper with the evaluation and my puppy's personality grade.

As for me, all I can do at the moment is look at the mother. She hasn't picked a sire yet.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
For Nikon and Pan, both whom I got as puppies, it was pretty much the same process. I did a lot of research on the breeders, lines, and pairings I was interested in, so basically after a few year's research I picked the litters I was interested in. I expressed my interest to the breeders, described what I was looking for, and asked more questions about the sire/dam. When I got Pan, I described things that I liked and didn't like and things I don't care about. For example, I prefer more defense drive over prey, I don't like dogs that are too handler sensitive, and I don't care if a dog chases cats. Ultimately the breeders each narrowed it down. When I got Nikon, it was narrowed down to three so we spent several hours and I made the final pick with the breeder (basically said OK to the dog she recommended). When I got Pan, it was narrowed down to two and I made a few comments about the size and structure I like so they determined Pan was mine. Before I paid the deposit, I received a blank contract. I read it carefully and asked for clarification on several items. When I went to pick up Pan, I asked questions about how the breeder likes to train. There's no right/wrong way, but the breeder trained and titled the dogs so they could give me some tips.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
When we got Baron (now just about 3 yo male GSD)from a top US show kennel, we got to see the entire 8 puppy litter and had our pick of the litter. A little unusual but at the time the puppy business was VERY slow from what we found out later. I don't know if that had any impact at all in our getting to pick. They were excellent about answering any of our questions and kind of convinced my wife who was picking with me, that a male would be a good choice also and would not be harder to control than the smaller females. We had had GSD's for almost 40 years but did not have a little puppy for almost 16-17 years as our last dog had been gone for about 4-5 years and we had her for about 12-13 years, so a LOOONG time between puppies.

Getting a 7 week old little baby was quite a thing! I wouldn't give him up for the world now but there were some trying times. He has a VERY different temperament from any of his littermates - at least the three that we have seen as adult dogs - very pushy and dominant, no fear in him, and very "hard" in the sense of taking corrections BUT extremly smart and easy to train IF I can get and keep his attention. The most curious dog that I have ever had or seen - he notices everything whether he is on the training field and somebody walks by it or in the house living room where we have a new item or have rearranged some furniture. Friendly to puppies cats and little dogs but a pushy dominant dog towards other adult dogs esp. males. Very friendly to almost all strangers (not to mention his friends) but sometimes just flat out doesn't like some few people.

All in all, a very nice representative of the GSD breed!

But not a lot of convincing from the breeder - more so our pick from the litter.

BTW he also is a VERY good conformation specimin and we plan to show him as soon as he is trained and ready for the breed ring. Also training in obedience and will show him there - we have been greatly slowed down in this by my two knee replacement operations the last two years.

·
Registered
386 Posts
i got lucky and got pick of the litter, i didn't have to ask the breeder too many questions since she was a reputable breeder... but when they were 5 weeks old i drove down there and since i wanted a male (i needed some testosterone in this house because i have 2 daughters and the cat is female LOL) but out of the 3 males there was one that was particular with since he would always made eye contact... in my case they didn't have a pecking order (breeder said it would change from day to day) but i spent 4 hours with them, even while they were taking naps, to judge their personality... but my biggest thing wasn't with what the breeder told me, but what puppy was keen to me. So far I am NOT disappointed in my decision, he is extremely smart and besides getting into puppy trouble, he listens very well and when he's mellow he loves to just sit there and look at my face while im watching tv (or has his nose muzzle deep in my slipper lol)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts