German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Can I get some feedback on what types of "Chewy" treats are good for my 8 mo old GSD. I was giving her the Rawhide Chewy's until she got sick from them, and I read how dangerous they were. So now am looking for an alternative treat that will also curb her chewing.
HELP please, & Thank You :help:

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Bully sticks, raw bones (kneecaps are my dogs fav, but you can also give knuckle bones etc) raw or dehydrated tracheas, deer/elk antlers.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I second raw bones like knuckle and marrow, I freeze mine before I give them to the dogs to make them last longer.

I would also add beef tendons and pigs ears to the list

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I haven't given a dog a rawhide in over 10 years at least. They're really no good and pretty dangerous. I've seen dogs choking on them before.

Bully sticks are my go-to chew for dogs. They love them and are much better than cow skin, just don't ask what they are if you don't know.

Deer antlers are pretty good too and last a long time. Not every dog will take to them though. My puppy loves his antler, but the other one can care less.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great!

:D one more thing though...where to get these at?
Would Petsmart carry them, Bully Sticks or antlers??
Are you getting the bones from the grocery store? or is that a specialty item as well? :eek:
Thanks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Petco has antlers. When I first introduced them to my girl they were not accepted-- at about 4months. Now at six months Chianti loves them, especially when smeared with a little peanut butter. Also a rubber ball (not a tennis ball but same size) is a current chewing favorite.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS SO MUCH!!!
We actually have real deer antlers from a hunting trip and I always catch her licking them, and I have seen her chew a little on them when she gets a chance too. So I'm thinkin' she might do well with them. :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts