German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody! This is my new dog Koda, someone told me that they’ve never seen a Shepherd like this before and that there’s no way he’s a shepherd. The only real way to know is if I have him properly DNA tested, but what do you guys think? His coat isn’t necessarily long, but it is fluffy and wavy. He just hit the 5 months old mark.

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Could possibly be a mix. His facial structure is a bit different. I agree, only way to know is get an Embark dna test done.
Beautiful doggy either way.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Looks like an American black and shepherd to me. I love random strangers and their opinions. Not.
Yep...i agree and it's typically these random strangers that feel the need to impress with their knowledge...that actually "know" the least....:D

·
Registered
30,674 Posts
Yep...i agree and it's typically these random strangers that feel the need to impress with their knowledge...that actually "know" the least....:D
Them: That's not a German Shepherd.
Me: He IS a German Shepherd.
Them: I've never seen that color
Me: It's sable.
Them: That's not a German Shepherd because I've never seen that color.
Me; Would you like to see his teeth? Would that change your mind?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks like a shepherd with maybe a slightly longer than average face. Also looks like a regular black / tan blanket back. Plus a curly coat, awesome! :)

·
Registered
30,674 Posts
Why can’t people keep opinions to themselves? A woman insisted my black GSD was a Tervuren. She was so determined I smiled and said, You got it. She was happy and I was laughing. There was no way I was going to convince her.
LOL I had someone tell me that about Jax because the roof of her mouth was black

·
Registered
30,674 Posts
Isn‘t it interesting how many people are smarter about our dogs than their owners are? How did they see the roof of her mouth?
I don't remember. It was years ago. Now, I just throw my hand in the air and yell No! When people try to rush in. It's very effective. I think I'm going to learn some swear words in German so I can really sound harsh.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
But will German words work if they can’t understand them? I don’t let strangers near my dogs. After that little girl screamed in my dog’s face I decided I don’t need that kind of thing to ever happen again. ( I apologize to the OP for getting so off topic.)

·
Registered
30,674 Posts
Have you ever listened to a German yell? They sound angry even when they are something happy. It's not the words they hear. IT's how crazy you sound and look. lol

·
Registered
812 Posts
Them: That's not a German Shepherd.
Me: He IS a German Shepherd.
Them: I've never seen that color
Me: It's sable.
Them: That's not a German Shepherd because I've never seen that color.
Me; Would you like to see his teeth? Would that change your mind?
Thank you ...so true...you've given me my morning chuckle...(y)

·
Registered
668 Posts
He could possibly have something else in there, or not. Whatever he is, he is positively adorable! Love love puppies and everything about them.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Have you ever listened to a German yell? They sound angry even when they are something happy. It's not the words they hear. IT's how crazy you sound and look. lol
German and Japanese: The best languages to sound angry in.

Anyway.

The OP's dog looks like a GSD to me. He just has a long face and a soft brow.

Here's a ridiculously long article (treatise more like) about the varying ways a GSD's head can be structured (both correct and incorrect): The Head of the German Shepherd Dog

·
Registered
309 Posts
He looks a little odd for a German shepherd, or at least it seems that way to me. His build is fine for a gsd, but the eyes look kinda odd? I've never seen eyes like that. Anyway, that doesn't make any difference. He's lovely and I really enjoyed the third pic! So cute!

·
Registered
309 Posts
German and Japanese: The best languages to sound angry in.

Anyway.

The OP's dog looks like a GSD to me. He just has a long face and a soft brow.

Here's a ridiculously long article (treatise more like) about the varying ways a GSD's head can be structured (both correct and incorrect): The Head of the German Shepherd Dog
Whoa! You weren't kidding when you said long. More like loooooonnnnnnnnngggggggggg. :) That author studied like crazy!

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
OP your dog is a GSD... black and tan long coat - coat is in an awkward in between stage but it’ll fill out over the next year and some change... best guess, based on structure, is that he’s american lines.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts