German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what type of food do you feed your dog. my dog eats retriever and i heard if thier coat isnt shiney and soft then its the food. i put a little bit of oil in her food and she gets fish twice a week but her coat is really not that soft even when i brush it. any ideas:help:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have mine back on Diamond Naturals and they get sardines with it every week.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
We feed Victor with fish once a week and raw on the weekends. They get Nupro Silver joint supplement as well as flaxseed oil and coconut oil. Everyone always comments on how super soft they are.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
take a look at a few forums and see what they have to say
about Retriever dog food.

i feed my dog:

> i feed the preminum brands of kibble and can food.
> i switch brands often.
> 4oz raw beef pattie (topping).
> fresh fish, beef, pork, chicken.
> blueberries, pears (sliced over kibble).
> canned fish (in water, no salt added).
> high grade, human grade salmon oil.
> organic yogurt.
> ground flax seed.
> string beans, peas.
> "pressure cooked" whole chicken (feed all).
> raw egg.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
what kind of oil?

what type of food do you feed your dog. my dog eats retriever and i heard if thier coat isnt shiney and soft then its the food. i put

>>>> a little bit of oil <<<<

in her food and she gets fish twice a week but her coat is really not that soft even when i brush it. any ideas:help:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Orijen. The closest to raw in a kibble. Everyone comments on Bishop's shiny coat. Those who know say "that's why" when I tell them what I feed him.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am now feeding Honest Kitchen Preference

I rotate (cooked) venison, rabbit, chicken & salmon for the meat (Preference is the one Honest Kitchen mix where you have to add the meat). She loves it and I get lots of complements on her coat, plus she smells good too!

I also feed some Orijen 6-fish kibble now and then, at the request of my husband, to make it easier for him to feed her if I am traveling.

I fed Blue Buffalo grain free when she was a puppy, she did well on it, but was never an enthusiastic eater, now she LOVES mealtime.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Mostly Nature's Logic. Seems to work well for him. Can't tolerate Orijen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts