German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i started my dog on an all raw diet a week or so ago been feeding him 4 times a day 2 to 3 chicken necks with some chicken meat with no skin an sometimes chicken hearts to even out bone to meat ratio per meal he's 15 pounds and 11 weeks old his poop just started to come out normal and not runny so i'll slowly be adding in organ meat soon but what i was wondering is there anything i can buy from the store to make raw treats and treats for training? don't want to upset his tummy by giving him what i use to the dog food looking treats plus now that he's had raw he's 100 times more motivated for raw type foods so any suggestions would help homemade raw treats anything but main goal is for training .... sneaks would also be nice ;) Thanks

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
no joke i feed my dogs high quality kibble for treats, they love it.

you could use dehydrated liver pieces or baked chicken bits?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've been using hamburger(80/20) for treats when training. Most of his other meals are made up of primarily chicken.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
meant Snack not sneak lol .... and my dog hates dog food and where could i find those other 2 X11?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been using hamburger(80/20) for treats when training. Most of his other meals are made up of primarily chicken.
and that working good? how long as ur dog been a raw eater?

·
Registered
121 Posts
and that working good? how long as ur dog been a raw eater?
Well he seems to really like it and responds well when we are doing a little bit of our training. My pup is only 12 weeks old but I have feeding him raw since getting him at 8 weeks. I monitor him closely when he has a chicken bone but he seems fine breaking it up himself.

I also read that when you dog is having trouble or is unmotivated to eat, feed him cooked hamburger, apparently they find it irresistible.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I just got asked this question at dinner. Fiona gets hot dogs or I do use store bought treats. When the store bought are gone, i may use some of the recipes I saw on this forum. They look good and easy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
Organs ... Be careful, you shouldn't feed organs more often than twice a week, not much and ALWAYS with rice. Why? Because his liver may react on these too nutritious substances. So called "protein poisoning" happens when you feed your dog organs too often in large amounts. Heart is tree times richer in protein than muscles, liver - five times, and so is the rest except the lungs which is not good ides to give at all, they cause the gut mucus to thicken. So, be afraid going back to squire one. Get him lamb chops for the start, they are cheaper if you buy them frozen, then beef liver another week, not more than 150 grammes. Friday is a fish day, fish is very important for German Shepherd, just cod liver oil won't do much for his joints.
As for the treats - irreplacable hard Cheddar. You can always put it into a small plastic bag keeping in your pocket.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Organs ... Be careful, you shouldn't feed organs more often than twice a week, not much and ALWAYS with rice. Why? Because his liver may react on these too nutritious substances. So called "protein poisoning" happens when you feed your dog organs too often in large amounts. Heart is tree times richer in protein than muscles, liver - five times, and so is the rest except the lungs which is not good ides to give at all, they cause the gut mucus to thicken. So, be afraid going back to squire one. Get him lamb chops for the start, they are cheaper if you buy them frozen, then beef liver another week, not more than 150 grammes. Friday is a fish day, fish is very important for German Shepherd, just cod liver oil won't do much for his joints.
As for the treats - irreplacable hard Cheddar. You can always put it into a small plastic bag keeping in your pocket.
I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you...again.
Dogs do not need rice. There is no benefit to adding it to a raw diet.
Organs can be fed every day, in the right proportions.

No lamb chops now. Lamb is very rich, and if the dog just finished having runs it is the last thing he should eat.
Keep with the chicken for a couple of weeks so it will give him a chance to settle down his gut completely. Don't add anything new for now.
You can get a bag of Ziwipeak or dehydrated tripe for treats.
Bravo also makes a great line of freeze-dried treats.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry, I have to disagree with you...again.
Dogs do not need rice. There is no benefit to adding it to a raw diet.
Organs can be fed every day, in the right proportions.

No lamb chops now. Lamb is very rich, and if the dog just finished having runs it is the last thing he should eat.
Keep with the chicken for a couple of weeks so it will give him a chance to settle down his gut completely. Don't add anything new for now.
You can get a bag of Ziwipeak or dehydrated tripe for treats.
Bravo also makes a great line of freeze-dried treats.
Thanks again for all the great advice :) also the chicken necks and chicken meat an hearts worked like a charm no more runs

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Thanks again for all the great advice :) also the chicken necks and chicken meat an hearts worked like a charm no more runs
You are very welcome.
I certainly had my share of the runs here, until I struck a balance.

Bone, if your dog can tolerate it, is a really good adjustment switch.
If the stool is too hard, less bone. Too soft, a little more bone.
In about a week, you can slowly begin to add more foods.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Primal, Stella and Chewys, and Nature's Variety all now have freeze dried raw that you can break up for treats.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Anything. I think almost everything is fine in moderation. A treat is just that, a treat.

For training treats for Berlin, Petco carries a refrigerated food I forget the name but it comes in a bag, and each piece is a perfect round treat sized ball. And its not bad if he gets a large amount during training because it just acts as a separate meal.

At home I love pig's ears for a longer lasting chew treat. Made in america only. I dont give rawhide.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Sorry, but no. Well, let me rephrase. A dog's diet should be roughly 10-20 % organ meat. If you achieve that by feeding organ only a couple times a week then so be it, the body stores roughly 20 days worth of required nutrients. But you need enough organs to achieve nutritional completeness, and feeding them 10-20% of their diet as organ meat daily is FINE.

Also even though it's considered an organ, heart meat is simply muscle meat. And there's no reason I know of lung cant be given.

For treats you can bake liver and use that, just keep in mind too much liver can cause Vitamin A toxicity, that IS an organ you dont want to overfeed. Please explain protein toxicity to me?

Rice is a grain they cant digest. Simply a filler that they have NO need for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anything. I think almost everything is fine in moderation. A treat is just that, a treat.

For training treats for Berlin, Petco carries a refrigerated food I forget the name but it comes in a bag, and each piece is a perfect round treat sized ball. And its not bad if he gets a large amount during training because it just acts as a separate meal.

At home I love pig's ears for a longer lasting chew treat. Made in america only. I dont give rawhide.

Dognation treats by Fresh pet?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Dognation treats by Fresh pet?
Haha ok ok make me get up off the couch :p

Vital Complete Meals. I love them for training treats. I also get any of the rolled foods and cut them up but be warned fish and lamb flavors tend to crumble more. Crumbs on the floor = puppy distraction

1367372059524.jpg

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Only down part is they need to be kept refrigerated. So I also keep a bag of hard treats in the car, anything small, that I can easily grab a handful of if we just happen to be out and about.

EVERY puppy moment should be training. We get out of the car, I want him to instantly stop and look at me for direction. Treat treat treat. Any time he looks at me, treat. He responds to an audible sound (something like a whistle) so anytime he's interested in the environment or another person I expect and instant response to his audible. Its not a recall, I just want his attention so if need be I can give more direction.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts