German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a treat that Izzy will lo0oo0ove but is small enough for her to make it gone in a flash so we can continue training, without her having to take a break to eat her reward.

What do y'all use?

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Anything softer you can slice beforehand.

I use Zuke's minis (I cut them in half), Natural Balance roll (IMO the best bang for the buck treat, slice them and then dice the slices), pre-cut cheese bits, or cooked chicken or venison pre-cut into tiny bits.

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Tubs of chicken hearts and turkey hearts that you cook and cut up are great. Those can be found in the freezer section of the store. Right now I am using pieces of our roast turkey for training. This is a GREAT reward and VERY easy to train with. I think in the future I'll just steam some chicken hearts and cut them in quarters. Hot dogs also work well, bits of cheese, cooked liver cut into pieces, etc.

·
Registered
287 Posts
We use Nutro Natural Choice Training bits.

They are soft and can be broken into little pieces. And if you are a no corn/no wheat kind of guy, it doesn't have that in it too.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Natural Balance log. Cut it up in small pieces and freeze in small ziplock bags. Grab a couple when training - cheaper and better than what is on the counter. I haven't found a dog yet that doesn't like the NB roll logs.

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I do the natural balance, too. Cheap, healthy, and they chew them up quickly. When I open the baggie at training the other dogs are air scenting to see where the yummy smell is coming from~
This is how I got hooked on them, Onyx was one of the scenters from Julies baggie!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Wellness core Venison/Salmon treats cut up in thirds or halves. A gal in my class had forgotten her treats last week and I gave her some of ours. Her GSD went nuts over them....

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Our natural pet store sells tubes of meat made by Happy Bowies, and I cut it up only for training and when people come over (since we are working on fear and anxiety) both dogs go nuts for it :D. It is great because you cut it up into tiny pieces and then you can freeze it and take it right before class and when you get there they are nicely thawed. They make venision, beef and turkey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts