German Shepherds Forum banner

Have you completed a CGC, CGN, TDI, TT, BH, or other temperament or obedience test

• YES

Votes: 46 78.0%
  • NO

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • OTHER, please list

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With over 2000 members, I wonder what percentage of the membership have reached the level of training where their dog has taken a one-time test for obedience and or temperament -- not instinct only.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, I forgot about the Star Puppy. Mine was not a single test, but in the course of the weeks in classes we did quite a bit with puppies. Puppies of an age where they would not be likely to be as shy. Not an adult evaluation, but still good.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Yes, Kenya is CGC (multiple times, and used as the tester dog), TDI, West MI Therapy cert, and TT. Coke is 2x CGC. Nikon is STAR, CGC, BH, FO. Will do more TTs as soon as I can find them. Pan is only 3 months but will have his STAR next week. The first three dogs also have other titles beyond basic obedience/temperament.

·
2,967 Posts
Argos, Anka, and Ike all have their BHs and are all TC by GSDCA. Argos, Anka, and Cade have their CGC's. Cade is getting ready for his BH, and he wasn't old enough when they did the TC's in our area- when they have another one I will take him and hopefully Tag will be old enough at that point too. I really ought to go get a CGC on Ike, just haven't gotten around to it. Tag went through the STAR puppy course also.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Moses has his CGC. I haven't bothered to test the rest of my pack. I train them all and they all have equal manners and I personally don't need the piece of paper or title to tell me my dogs are good citizens.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Selzer the only problem with this poll is you may not have many people (like me) who are willing to say they have not done any temperament testing.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I marked no but we are in Schuzhund. Planing on getting my BH then AD. Then if we get that far SchH 1 and 2 ..... Maybe 3!!!!

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Selzer the only problem with this poll is you may not have many people (like me) who are willing to say they have not done any temperament testing.
That is ok, thank you for responding. The way I look at it, is that people do not need to actually say anything, just vote. If there are 2000 members and 23 members have voted that they have such a certificate, that is a pretty sad turn out. Maybe I am just a little too optimistic.

I am not asking if every single one of your sheps has one, just that you have gotten one of them through one of these programs.

I would think that a goal for a site such as this one should be to encourage the membership to go for one of these. People on here have a lot to say about training. I think that if I think that only one out of 100 people on here have even the most basic of temperament tests on their dogs, then well, that puts into perspective a lot of the advice on the training threads.

My guess is that we are a whole lot better than 1 in 100.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I put CGCs on my 3 males (2 Labs, 1 Dutch Shepherd). I plan on making Madix go through it again when he's fully mature (around 3 yrs I think). I also plan on having him take the Temperament Test next year. We are in training for Schutzhund so I'm hoping to get a BH and AD on him next year with any luck! Perhaps a CD. I also train for several other performance sports that we'll hopefully be tested in next year as well.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I dont have any titles on Sinister, but I want to get his CGC, do some agility and possibly search work.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Jax has her CGC. She took and passed the TDI test but I chose not to follow through and join since she just really doesn't care about people. And to be quite honest, in my opinion she should have failed the TDI because she was being a complete bonehead outside the testing area to other dogs.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
As far as temperament tests/basic training certs go all of our dogs except the puppies have their CGC. Even Nara the Nervebag. Will get them on the 2 pups at some point in the future too.

Kaiser also has his TDI therapy cert.

Kaiser, Raven, Wulf and Della all have BHs.

Raven, Wulf and Della also have SDA FO (Family Obedience.. similar to the BH) and ATTS temperament test certs.

Really want to do GSDCA TCs (mainly for CHIC numbers), but there are never any tests in the state and we're not really willing to travel just for that. Too bad CHIC doesn't recognize the TT, which is essentially the same thing.

And all except the pups and Nara have a slew of more advanced training titles as well.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Rocky has his CGC but is way too nervy to get anything else. He's a nervous good citizen lol. Cash had a CGC and we were training in agility but never got to do any trials.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Mine are listed with my dogs below. I take obed classes with the dogs, but not specific cgc classes :)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts