German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've got a question, it's just something I'm curious about. The way I see it, rescue is great. I'm not denying that great rescue dogs are just as possible as great purebreds, and that sometimes buying from a breeder doesn't turn out all too great. But I personally want to know what lineage my dog has to prevent bad genes that will run up my vet bills later, and I want to raise that dog myself so I know he hasn't had some wacky past that ruined him which I only find out later.

When I told a friend about the litter I'm waiting for is coming later in the year, and how another one of similar parentage won't be coming until next summer, she said "well but if they're a breeder, aren't they having puppies constantly?" in a kind of derogatory way. I said that good breeders don't crank them out like puppy mills, and only do a few litters a year.

When I told another friend I was getting a puppy, she asked if I was getting a rescue, and when I said a breeder, she made a horrified, scandalized face at me.

I mean, it doesn't really bother me. I'll just as soon ignore it. I just was wondering what you guys say when people react and say things like that, if anything.

·
Registered
30,390 Posts
I don't say anything. I have a shelter adoption, a rescue we found on the road and a byb. I've fostered, I've eval'd, I've pulled from shelters. I wanted one from a good breeder. Buying from a good breeder is not adding to the pet population. It's not killing a dog in a shelter that I wouldn't adopt anyways.

I've done my share and I don't need to defend my decision to anyone. What have you done?

That's what you say...

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Some people say that as long as there is a pet overpopulation problem, we should not be breeding pets under any circumstances.

But think about dogs that save lives... SAR, Police k9, military dogs, bomb-sniffing dogs. Not to mention the dogs that make people's lives easier... guide dogs for the blind, assistance dogs for the disabled, etc. Working dogs that herd or guard livestock, can make or break a rancher's livelihood. These are dogs that need a high level of certain instincts and attributes, and those are not often found in random-bred shelter dogs. They need careful selection, and the best way to do this is to breed so that these attributes are hard-wired.

That is the main point that I bring up when talking to anti-breeding people. There are other points to made such as predictability. If you need to be reasonably assured of a certain physical type or temperament, you get a better chance of it with a well-bred purebred whose ancestors are known and carefully selected for these attributes.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
With the amount of unwanted dogs we kill every year in this country I can't say they are all wrong.

And I breed.

This is just one of those things that everyone has to find their own comfort level and be happy with the decision they make at this point in their life, knowing that not everyone will agree with them.

Not really much help am I? LOL

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Since I have a shelter dog, I don't get too many scandalized looks when I say that Gryffon came from a breeder - usually the question that comes up is why did I choose a breeder from the States instead of finding one locally - I just say that I was looking for specific bloodlines (working lines), for a specific purpose, and had very specific requirements of the type of breeder I would be willing to buy from.

In your case, people equate all breeders with puppy mill type puppy producers - it's great that the general public is becoming more aware of the bad ethics of many breeders, and are more rescue/adopt oriented, but there still needs to be work done in educating people about good, responsible breeders vs. BYB, and glorified puppy mills: i.e: breeders who on the surface seem responsible/reputable, but have mega breeding females, several litters on the ground at the same time on an on-going basis, breed and market to the uneducated pet buyer looking to buy prestige, say they will take pups back anytime if it doesn't work out, but never do, etc . . .

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
If I had anything derogatory to say it would be to the rescues that keep pulling nervy fear bitey maladjusted disease bags from kill shelters and sinking god awful amounts of money into them so that they might have a Facebook feed feel good story instead of plucking the best of the best that could easily turn out to be great family home dogs.

Somewhere around 80-90% of dogs born every year don't survive long enough to see their first birthday. It's a triage situation. Pick the best and the brightest.

Heart worm positive? Pass
Bad allergies? Pass
Aggression? Pass
Nervy and fearful? Pass
Injured? Pass

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If I had anything derogatory to say it would be to the rescues that keep pulling nervy fear bitey maladjusted disease bags from kill shelters and sinking god awful amounts of money into them so that they might have a Facebook feed feel good story instead of plucking the best of the best that could easily turn out to be great family home dogs.

Somewhere around 80-90% of dogs born every year don't survive long enough to see their first birthday. It's a triage situation. Pick the best and the brightest.

Heart worm positive? Pass
Bad allergies? Pass
Aggression? Pass
Nervy and fearful? Pass
Injured? Pass
This. So much of this. I volunteered for a rescue for a while that did exactly this and ended up leaving because I just got so frustrated with it. And they were so horrible about acting like the dog just needed some family attention and that would magically fix all its problems. People would ask them about the dogs and the employees would just say that all their dogs would be great family pets when in reality there were three major fear biters, one extreme allergy case that needed ridiculously expensive meds, one with Pica that needed constant monitoring, and several others with severe behavioral issues that would benefit most from heavy work with a behavioralist.

I just wasn't comfortable talking to any potential adopters about them because we were instructed to "always present the dog's good side". And apparently leave the issues for the family to find out on their own when their dog compulsively eats something that kills it, chews through a solid wall to escape a room, or bites one of their children?

No way. :(

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I've had dogs from breeders from rescues and from shelters. I love all my dog no matter where they have come from and people being against either breeders or rescues really ticks me off.

If I choose to spend my money with a dog from a breeder that is my choice.

If I choose to spend my money training and helping a fearful nerve bag that is also my choice.

It is my money and my time. Anyone who wants to sit in judgement of me can kiss my behind. I'm old enough to not care what others think anymore. :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I adopted my first dog from the local shelter, my second dog was purchased from a BYB, and finally I have Delgado who came from a reputable breeder.

I don't feel like I need to explain anything but if they really push I simply explain that I've already 'rescued' two dogs and I love/loved them with all my heart but I wanted a dog that I would get from a young pup that had a SOLID foundation behind him in his breeding.

I'm not against rescues, my parents have been fostering for a rescue for a few years and I just signed up to be a volunteer with them as well. They have their place but purchasing a dog from a good breeder shouldn't be a black mark against you

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hmm, all good answers so far! I'm not against rescues by any means myself for the record. I'm glad to hear all these good answers for future use.

I did admittedly feel a little defensive though in other respects, because the actual first thing people said to me was start grilling me with frowny faces about what I'm going to do when I'm not home etc., meanwhile I'm quitting my full time job (not financially crucial) to raise him properly, lining up dog daycares in case I ever need to be away for too long and so forth, while their dogs are at home barely going out really, one who is so obese you can't feel a rib if you try and waddles (they refuse to admit she's fat) and is obviously depressed. Like go lie under the end table in the corner behind the couch with her face between her paws depressed. But it's ok, because they're small dogs.
Grr haha I love my friends but that annoyed me a little. Vent over. Sorry.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I think like any other instance in life is that you should be able to get a dog from wherever your heart desires. People are so fast to judge what others do because "they" believe their way is the only way. I would dismiss their comments and continue to be a great dog owner no mater where it came from. THAT is what stops dogs going to shelters is if you actually have a dog you love and are able to manage.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I rarely say anything. I have a 30-second canned elevator spiel for those times when I feel like making an exception, but generally I regard this viewpoint with the same weary distaste that I have for people who say any other profoundly wrong-headed thing about dogdom ("I want to adopt a puppy so I can raise him to be nice," or "my doodle breeder told me it doesn't matter if the parents have been OFA'ed because hybrid vigor means they can't be dysplastic," or whatever other thing makes me quietly reach for the nearest vodka bottle).

There's too much of a chasm of ignorance for me to have the energy to bridge that, most days. I'm tired and burned out and generally I just don't even want to muster up the minimal effort needed to destroy the other person's position.

So as a rule I don't say anything.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I agree with the others. I think it's wonderful to find a great family pet at the shelter and I'd encourage anyone to go that route first.

But there are people who compete or use dogs as a profession and to them the genetics mean a lot.

Also, if we stopped breeding, we'd lose all these wonderful breeds and their attributes that makes them so naturally good at what they're meant to do (Border Collies for sheep herding for example).

I don't worry too much about defending my choices to other people :)

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Dont get me wrong im not against rescues or adopting in general. Its a great thing when done right. Its adding to a problem when done wrong.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am trying to avoid the conversations with ignorant, opinionated people regardless what topics they choose.

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
The majority of people still believe that its nurture over nature when it comes to dogs. They don’t understand how the genetics of a dog play a part in their personality and temperament and how many of the issues you do see in dogs, are just hard-wired and not due to a past life experience.

Most people that know me don’t question me. I don’t really hang out with people that have mutts…not because I don’t like them, but it’s because I’m always doing something with my dogs that draws me towards people with purebreds. Most people that have asked me, always start by asking what I do with my dog, and when the answer involves dog shows/trials/IPO and SDA training, they don’t really question why you don’t have a shelter dog.

I will admit that if you’re not really doing sport/work/showing with your dog, part of me believes that you should look towards a shelter dog or a rescue (if you do want a specific breed). I cringe when someone wants a shepherd for the “status” and not really for the breed characteristics. The truth is, our breed has gone in so many different directions because people don’t do their research, and just want a dog that looks like X but acts like Y. If you really look at it, if you want a dog just for “companionship” most breeds would do…especially a rescue.

And I don’t care to be questioned about my opinion. It’s just how I feel about these things. I’ll still talk to someone, help them when I can, and consider them a friend or an acquaintance if they do have a GSD just for “companionship” or spend $5000 to import a GSD for that reason. I’m not here to tell anyone what they should and shouldn’t do with their money. But sometimes, I do wish people would think about what they need out of a dog and then decide what kind of dog fits that.

I’ll also tell you that with my bitch (a breeder return due to health problems with the original owner), the feeling of giving her a home is light years above my male who we bought as a puppy. It’s just a different feeling knowing you’re giving a dog that’s been through some problems a home. I won’t go into the story too much, but she was taught to suppress her prey drive…even though we knew it was there…and the moment she actually bit the flirt pole, after waving it in front of her face for 2 months…was easily the best feeling I’ve ever had in my short dog training career. Knowing that you’ve helped a dog come out of its shell, knowing that the dog now trusts you enough to do something it was taught not to do before, is light years better than any feeling I’ve had with my male.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Yeah, I don't have the time to re-educate every idiot on the planet. Since I have fostered, transported and done home visits for rescues, worked in an open admission shelter and purchased from breeders, I generally just make a generic comment about how nice dogs can be found anywhere and leave it at that.
Sheilah

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
What I say to people against breeders and purebred dogs is I want to know how involved THEY are in rescue and what experience gives them the right to get on a soapbox about my decisions? I have purebred dogs and a dog that has been bred but I also have rescue dogs, foster for rescue, help place dogs that need to be rehomes, and am always referring people to reputable local rescues. Most people who have made snotty comments to me about my purebred dogs have no involvement in rescue themselves other than maybe adopting one dog ever.

·
Registered
9,351 Posts
Without good breeders, all that would be left are poorly bred dogs and mutts.

I would have plenty to say about rescues and the idea of rescues, but I will keep that to myself.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I guess I've never had someone look at me in askance because I didn't rescue. Maybe it's not that vogue around here as it seems to be in other areas of the U.S. It really irks me when people use the 'you are killing a dog at the shelter when you buy a puppy" because a) umm no I'm not and b) I wouldn't be taking one from the shelter just because I didn't purchase a dog. I just wouldn't have a dog. I have a cat and a small dog and need to make sure any BIG dog I bring in will be good with that. I just don't trust that I will get the accurate information from someone trying to get me to adopt. Not from the local rescue people.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts