German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got Kali last year. She is such a great dog. Truly my best friend. I took her in for a regular vet visit when she turned 1, and she's good... no problems. I found her on Kijiji.com/Classifieds. She was from an accidental litter. I guess you can say it was irresponsible of her mom's owner to have a litter, however, it happened, and I'm blessed with a great companion. Her mom was on site and looked like a healthy beautiful dog. I also have seen her dad. (pics on my profile) As she gets older, should I be concerned with genetic problems, considering she wasn't from a tradional breeder? Anything specific I should look out for?

She's a great dog, wouldn't change things for the world.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
You could get some prelim x-rays done to check for common problems like hip and elbow dysplasia and other things that show up on the hip x-ray (some lower back problems show up without having to do an additional x-ray).

·
Registered
31,111 Posts
I agree with Lies regarding the xrays. But to be quite honest, even the best breeders can have a sick pup. Buying from a good breeder was described to me as "stacking the deck in your favor" but even so you could end up with a dog that has bad hips or a medical condition.

But...if you spend your time worrying about it you'll spend a whole lot of unnecessary money at the vets! Enjoy your pup and take her to the vet if there is something going on but I don't think that testing and worrying for possible illnesses is necessary. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally agree. Kind of like the Laws of Attractions! lol. I just want what's best for her, and want to make sure she lives a long healthy happy life!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
which is it, do you agree or not?? testing is a great
way to maintain your dogs health.

I agree with Lies regarding the xrays.

Enjoy your pup and take her to the vet if there is something going on but I don't think that testing and worrying for possible illnesses is necessary. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts