German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting my first German Shepherd puppy in three weeks and have been doing a lot of research on the best food choices for her. Throughout my research, I am getting increasingly nervous about choosing the "right" food for my puppy. Most websites make every dog food seem like some kind of a bad idea. I understand that a good food doesn't contain soy, wheat or corn, but I have also read that rice is bad too because it can contain arsenic? I'm not sure that this is a legitimate concern. I also saw a commercial for ideal balance and of course, the commercial made it seem desirable so I looked it up and found that it is actually not ideal for a German Shepherd pup because it is plant based and low on protein.

What I have gathered from all of this is that I need a food with a lot of meat products and containing no wheat, soy, or corn (or rice?). I have also read many posts on this site which recommend never using puppy food? The more I read, the more nervous I am about making a decision one way or another. Any recommendations on a healthy, affordable puppy food would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have been feeding my puppy Havoc Orijen large breed puppy food. He's doing great on it. Never any loose stools....

Yes a lot of people do raw feeding. That's what my breeder had recommended....If you are gonna raw feed. Just raw feed don't feed him kibble also. Tracy (Bullinger shepherds) said that's the biggest thing to avoid because of the difference in digestion times between the two......

·
Registered
40 Posts
i feed raw food. i think it's the best and most natural way to go.

for what it's worth:

The Many Myths of Raw Feeding

Save Our Shepherds - German Shepherd Rescue

Jane Anderson's Raw Learning Site

Raw Meaty Bones

Intro to Raw Feeding

Welcome to the Raw Dog Ranch

Home - The Dog's Dinner - by Ann Ridyard

those are just a couple, but there are more really good websites...

in case you want to feed kibble, i'd suggest you high quality grain free kibble. zero grain. i've heard orijen is one of the best.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If your going with kibble, then give Orijen a try first. Unfortunately my GSD puppy had very loose stools so I switched him to Fromm LBP Gold and he is doing awesome on it. There are many great choices out there though.

Congrats on getting a new puppy in a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I will be getting my first German Shepherd puppy in three weeks and have been doing a lot of research on the best food choices for her. Throughout my research, I am getting increasingly nervous about choosing the "right" food for my puppy. Most websites make every dog food seem like some kind of a bad idea. I understand that a good food doesn't contain soy, wheat or corn, but I have also read that rice is bad too because it can contain arsenic? I'm not sure that this is a legitimate concern. I also saw a commercial for ideal balance and of course, the commercial made it seem desirable so I looked it up and found that it is actually not ideal for a German Shepherd pup because it is plant based and low on protein.

What I have gathered from all of this is that I need a food with a lot of meat products and containing no wheat, soy, or corn (or rice?). I have also read many posts on this site which recommend never using puppy food? The more I read, the more nervous I am about making a decision one way or another. Any recommendations on a healthy, affordable puppy food would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks!
I know what you mean. As almost new gsd owner I have found sometimes too information can be overwhelming. You may have to wait until you get your puppy until you find out what works for him as sometimes what works for one dog may make another itchy or soft stools
As for my recommendation I buy costco brand, Theres one called Natures domain which is rice and grain free. it gets a rating of 4/5 stars. Its comparable to Taste of the Wild which is 5/5 stars. If I could afford it, I would buy the taste of the wild but because I save about 20 a bag on the costco brand and have 3 dogs I buy the Costco natures domain. Also see what other members like and do a comparison yourself. Heres a non biased site. Check it out and then relax a little. Its like having a baby, you'll mess up a little along the way but you'll still do a good job. Dog Food Reviews and Ratings | Dog Food Advisor

·
Registered
118 Posts
I feed my pup Avoderm, and have just recently switched him over to the grain-free formulas because he was having loose stool on the regular. Unfortunately, unless you feed canned (grain-free) the only kibble choice is salmon flavored. I like to mix between the kibble and canned food so that he is not always getting salmon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't have my puppy yet (but I have everything under the sun he could need) but I bought Simply Nourish Chicken and Rice Large Breed puppy food. The lady at Petsmart has raised many German Shepherds and said she liked that brand. :) I promise to get back to you on it when I get Reznor.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts