German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4,106 Posts
I feed puppies as much as they want three times a day until they are about six months or they start losing the lean look, whichever comes first, unless they are the type of puppy that will eat until they explode . I put their food down for about ten minutes and then pick it up. If they don't eat, they don't eat. I do not add water or anything else with it as that can encourage a picky eater to be pickier.

It's usually not necessary to add vitamins if you are feeding a good kibble, but not sure about your options over there.

· Registered
4,106 Posts
Over eating is much more common in the sporting breeds than in GSDs. As you know your pup isn't a good eater already, offering as much as he wants should be just fine.

As for the recommendations on the bag, I have found them to be worse than useless. Feed however much it takes to keep your pup at a good weight and that's all you need to know.

· Registered
4,106 Posts
Vinnie, let's just take this puppy for now. He already knows his puppy isn't a good eater, so feeding all he wants while he's thin will be just fine. As I said earlier, once he starts to lose the lean look, he needs to cut back to twice a day feeding and then cut back on intake as needed. No one wants a fat puppy and feeding a pup this way will not change his growth rate.

I know there are GSDs that will pig out, with all the puppies that I've had through my house, I have yet to see one. They just aren't that common especially when fed like this from the beginning.

· Registered
4,106 Posts
I would stop adding anything to the kibble. I can't advise you about the vitamins and the cheese as I don't know if you are feeding a good kibble or not. If this kibble meets AAFCO standards, which it will say on the bag if it does, then I would not - not that AAFCO standards makes this a good food. If it doesn't, then all bets are off and you have to sort of figure it out on your own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.