German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I currently feed my 14 month old male fromms duck & sweet potato. He is super thin (in my mind) , of course he is sable so every bone shows anyway. I have started mixing wellness core canned to his meal. He is free of worms ect.. and has very good stools and a pretty strong stomach. Does anyone have any better ideas for a diet to get him to gain weight? I feed him at least 5 - 6 cups a day and he never finishes all of his food. \thanks all in advance

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Have you thought about trying a food that has more calories? What you are feeding only has 370 calories a cup.

If his bones really show, I would take him to the vet and have bloodwork done. That is quite a bit of food to still be that thin. (I've had 2 sables and their bones don't/didn't show.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will look to see what other foods have more calories is 370 not very much? He never finishes always leaves at least a cup or more , so I would say he is eating about 4 cups a day actually

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
There are several kibbles with over 400 claories a cup. Is he eating Sweet Potato and Duck for a reason?

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
370 isn't a "bad" thing overall. But if the dog won't eat enough of the food to stay at a correct weight, a higher calorie food will give him more calories a day even if he is eating the same number of cups a day.

So if a dog is eating 4 cups of a 370 calorie food a day, that is 1480 calories.

But if he were eating 4 cups a day of a kibble with 468 calories a cup, that would be 1872 calories a day. (I used 468 calories because that is what the food I feed is.)

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Instinct kibbles range from 464 to 490 cal per cup. http://www.naturesvariety.com/instinct_dog_kibble

Wellness Core 430 cal
http://www.jbpet.com/Wellness-Core-Original,2357.html

Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog Food (Lamb)
417 cal
http://www.jbpet.com/Hund-n-Flocken-Adult-Dog-Food-Lamb,359.html

There are others out there. These are just a few that I picked up quickly (I feed Instinct). If you look around, you can likely find a few more.

But I second Tracy's suggestion about having bloodwork done just to be sure. There are a number of things (besides worms) that could cause a dog to be very thin, many of them easily treatable.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I cannot really add to the suggestions already giving, but I do want to say I don't think your dog looks overly thin..Plus if he is only 14 months old he has not totally "filled" out yet. Pics of course can be deceiving somewhat...

With the not wanting to finish the 5-6 cups of kibble a day, even though my dogs are PIGS, I'm not sure they could finish that much kibble in one day either. So that may not be an indication of anything, is my point:)

I definitely second the doctor app, to check for worms though, and a full checkup..

BTW Your guy is a cutie:)

·
Registered
377 Posts
What a nice lookin dog

From the pictures, I don't think he looks too thin either. Pictures can be deceiving, but from what is showing, I would say he looks just perfect.

Another thing to consider is the amount of protein and fat. My working dog burns off a ton of energy and I've had trouble keeping weight on him at times. He's also had some food issues and I looked through a ton of foods before finding one that worked for him. One of the issues I had with a lot of the novel proteins (like duck) is that the protein levels were too low for my dog's activities. They all tended to be in the very low 20's for percentages; as opposed to most chicken based kibbles, which were in the mid to upper 20's. And the fat can be an issue also - it's not always just the number of calories, but where the calories come from - especially whether they come from fat or fillers, etc.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have a 13 month old sable also who gets the comments, "He's so thin!" But boy does he have muscle!! My breeder told me that Royal Canine is good to put weight on dogs. But I think your guy looks great. I always thought that during their second year is when they really fill out.

Here's a pic of my guy:

·
Registered
403 Posts
Quote:I have a 13 month old sable also who gets the comments, "He's so thin!" But boy does he have muscle!! My breeder told me that Royal Canine is good to put weight on dogs. But I think your guy looks great. I always thought that during their second year is when they really fill out
Yes, sometimes longer for a male dog...So at 13 and 14 months the dog is not fully filled out. They're at what I consider the "lanky teenager" stage at this age..

Your dog is a cutie also BTW!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the reply! I guess there is no particular reason I am feeding the duck & sweet potatoe except, I was feeding the salmon and he didnt seem to like it as much, I thought the duck would have more fat???, Of course now I am questioning it , he seems to be having bad breath and his ears are kindof gunky-- maybe it is the dark meat?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what do you feed? I have a chuck & dons 2 miles from my house so.. I pretty much have access to any kind of food out there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do have an annual "check up" scheduled so i will bring a "sample" and ask my vet about blood work. My vet seems to be pretty good , but not a GSD expert in anyway. I heard somewhere on here that feeding grain free food before 2yrs is not recomended?? That is the main reason he is not on wellness core.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks! he got his first major at 9months, but since has turned into this skinny teenager, heres to hoping he will fill out soon

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks , I think he is nice looking too- of course I am a little owner blind :). I do have access to a great pet food store and can basically feed anything, how do you feel about feeding high protien food to a gsd before 2 yrs?? as I posted previously I had heard it is not good for a young growing dog?? as well as no grain?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
your dog is cute! I think I am paranoid, I watch those animal cop shows and sometimes the "neglected" dogs that the vet says are really underweight look just like luey!!

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: paulaa I guess there is no particular reason I am feeding the duck & sweet potatoe except, I was feeding the salmon and he didnt seem to like it as much, I thought the duck would have more fat???, Of course now I am questioning it , he seems to be having bad breath and his ears are kindof gunky-- maybe it is the dark meat?
Actually if you read the guaranteed analysis, the salmon has a little more fat. 1% more fat, 1% more protien and 40 more calories a cup. But if they don't like it, there is no point in feeding it, and having to try and force them to eat it.

All I have ever heard about the grain free kibbles is they are not recommended for puppies under 12 months due to the high cacuim and Phosphorus levels. (Though Orijen makes a Large Breed Puppy formula that has more "nornal" cal/phos levels.)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
in that second picture, there are a couple marks on his side that look like they could be ribs showing, but im guessing thats just the lighting.

if those arent ribs, then id agree with others that he looks in very nice condition.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts