German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man i tell ya...Can't win for losing...Ryder had the itchy thing going on so we put him and sophie on bb...THey love it, ryders coat looks great, we did end up getting him a shot to take care of the itchiness...However he was laying in the floor last nite, adn i told my hubby he looks sick...He is literally skin and bone...The vet says he is fine, but he has lost more weight since i had him there for that shot...We are starting to believe that it is the bb that is making him lose the weight...Is that possible? They both eat four cups a day...We are uping ryders intake starting today to another 1/2 cup...Please any input would help

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I think BB had a recall recently, you might want to look in the food section here??

I would change food if he's skin and bones, upping his food probably won't help.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Have you considered Taste of the Wild or 4Health? You can get them at Tractor's Supply and are less expensive than BB. Several people have recommended Kirkland which is Costco's brand. They're better than Purina but similar in price. If you need him to gain weight, try making satin balls

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
if your going for Purina try the Senstive Skin/sensitive stomache it's salmon based, worked well for my 'itchy' aussie, and he porked on the weight big time..I switched because tho he did will on the food, he was getting way to fat for my liking:)

I do however, like Taste of the Wild and the 4 Health found at Tractor supply.. I feed my gsd 4 Health, and she does really well on it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Satin balls are AWSOME :D... I use shedded wheat instead of 1 and 1/3 cups Total cereal, same amount though, I buy the hamburger at IGA because its cheaper than anywhere else around, hmm

"Satin Balls ~~~

All ingredients are uncooked RAW and "Satin Balls" are served raw.

Satin Balls for Little Dogs -- or to try out recipe on your dog to see if he will eat it.

1 lb cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1 and 1/3 cups Total cereal
1 and 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal
1 raw egg
6 Tablespoons wheat germ
1 package Knox unflavored gelatin
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons unsulfured molasses
Pinch of salt

Satin Balls Half Recipe
5 lbs cheap hamburger (for high fat %)
1/2 large box Total cereal (about 6 cups cereal)
1/2 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 7.5 cups oats)
5 raw eggs
1/2 of 15oz jar wheat germ (about 2 cups)
5 packages Knox unflavored gelatin
5/8 cup vegetable oil (this is pretty close to 2/3 cup)
5/8 cup unsulfured molasses
Pinch of salt

Satin Balls Full Recipe
10 lbs cheap hamburger (high fat %)
1 large box Total cereal (about 12 cups cereal)
1 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 15 cups oats)
10 raw eggs
1 15oz jar wheat germ
10 packages Knox unflavored gelatin
1 and 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 and 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
Pinch of salt

Notes:

"Whole Wheat Total" cereal (blue box) comes in large 1 lb 2 oz size (about 12 cups settled) and a smaller 12 oz size (about 8 cups cereal), which would work in Little Dog or Half Recipe. But in the long run, the large size is more economical. Don't get Raisin Total or Lo Carb. Total.

Uncooked Oatmeal like "Quaker Old Fashioned Oats" and less expensive supermarket house brand, come in large 2 lb 10oz size (15 cups oats) or smaller 18 oz size (about 7 cups oats).

15oz jar of wheat germ is about 4 cups. Some stores only carry a 12oz jar of wheat germ, which contains about 3 and 1/4 cups of it.

Vegetable oil -- use a good one. I use olive oil.

You will find additional notes and comments at the following site ~ http://theherbs.info/
Pets/satinball.html "

had to copy paste this...

about the Black Gold, I have heard good things about it, did not know anyone around here carried it. I still like TOTW the best, I tried wellness but Goren and Abby are both having bad stool so going back to TOTW, since its only in vincennes its not that far, I guess there is a tractor supply in Evansville, and we are going to take abby out there today to get another bag of food. I use high prairie if I did not ever tell ya, Goren looks better and has better stool on it than on anything else. I do like Earthborn holistics though and you might try that, if I had any left I would let you try it but I used the last of it last week (its like 700 calories a cup so really good for gaining weight) its by pro pack I think, grain free, and can get it at pet food center in evansville...you could always swap ryder to raw if you have a large freezer, it saves you money in the long run is what I always hear. I hope we can find something that will make him pack on some weight though... If you want I do have some satin balls still (they are frozen with freezer burn but the dogs don't mind) I have not been giving them that much, and could probably give you some to try, I know he will love them, and when I make them I make a 5 or 10 lb batch because that is how much one of the big containers of meat from IGA is, either way they really do work, I give them frozen so they don't just inhale them, but it is a treat for outside or on hard easy to clean surfaces since it does have blood in it (the bloodier the better hehe) Either way tell me what you think....and we have to let you meet Abby here soon :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well we have been feeeding them the purina one...and he has already picked up weight and doesn't look like a skeleton, so we will probaly just stick with that...but thanks fo rall the suggestions...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts