German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just wondering if there's anything i can do with the collection of bully stick pieces I've taken from Nova? I take them when they reach a size that I know she's daring enough to try swallowing ... but shouldn't. Any way I can stick them all together or into a block or something? Google didn't help, so maybe I'm thinking crazy here lol.
Thanks!

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
How long are the pieces? Someone else had posted that they'd clamped vice grips at one end of the bully stick to keep their dogs from swallowing the last few inches of it. Never tried it myself, but it might help you get more "milage" out of them. I would still supervise as some vise grips/locking pliers release easier than others, one swipe of the paw and it's off, others require a loss of skin form your fingers to release.

·
Registered
5,619 Posts
I've seen ground-up bully stick sold as a food topper somewhere. It seems like if you save a pile of them, maybe they could just be run through some kind of grinder to make "sprinkles."

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I soak them in water for a day or......wrap bacon around them.....a coating of brown sugar and a smattering of bbq sauce...30 minutes at 350 in the oven and serve them to our guests for appetizers.

Always a hit....but never give up the recipe to those who ask.

SuperG

·
Registered
267 Posts
I soak them in water for a day or......wrap bacon around them.....a coating of brown sugar and a smattering of bbq sauce...30 minutes at 350 in the oven and serve them to our guests for appetizers. Always a hit....but never give up the recipe to those who ask. SuperG
LOL. Seems like a good answer, with a little variation: Serve to the doggie guests.

Perhaps it's a trial and error situation. Soaking in liquid would likely be part of the solution. Maybe add some beef broth to the water. If you experiment with different ways to moisten & heat the pieces, you might find something that works well. Boiling in broth with a microwave might be something to try.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Does anyone know of a really strong pair of scissors, or cutters, or something that we can cut the end pieces into much smaller treat size pieces? Most of us don't have an electric table saw. Maybe a bolt cutter, perhaps? I don't know.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Does anyone know of a really strong pair of scissors, or cutters, or something that we can cut the end pieces into much smaller treat size pieces? Most of us don't have an electric table saw. Maybe a bolt cutter, perhaps? I don't know.

Check out a pair of aviation snips..................

SuperG

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I use pruning shears to cut them in half.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts