German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Kilo loves EVERYONE.
But there have been about 3 people he has met & has been weary of.
What should I do in a situation like that?
My friends bf came over & Kilo has seen him many times as a pup and his fur was standing up, kinda low growling.... The guy would call Kilo over to him & Kilo wouldnt go. (Usually he will run over to people and let them pet him)
I could tell my Kilos body language he was NOT comfortable.
I dont want want to force anyone on him.
But what is the best thing for this?
I can always keep him in another room.
But the thing is we have a bussiness next door to our home.
I know the signs to look for, but not sure what to do.
He is amazing with the people in our store and ignores them mostly.
What would be causing this behavior?
Just picking up on something?
Im sorry, Im just not sure what to do or how to ask you guys.......

·
Registered
367 Posts
Most likely something in his history. My Smokey dislikes/wont trust young men with wranglers and a t-shirt / ball cap

when she was about 8 months old I turned her out one day to go potty in the fenced side yard at the apartments i was in. well i heard my neighbors diesel pull in, they were agg department guys from my college (always wore jeans tshirt and ball cap). then she was barking as usual and then suddenly i heard her yiping like crazy and runnig to crouch next to the door to be let in and opened the door and she RAN into her box (for safety) I coaxed her out and found a small scrape on her nose (i took pics) then i went into the yard bewildered at what had gotten her, i was thinking a coon or skunk had been in the yard and got her. the only thing i found was a mirror that had been broken off of a truck in the yard. (now, i had seen this mirror on the neighbors porch in the past, so i knew it was theirs) I looked at it and took it in to show my wife. she was again trying to coax smoke out of her box and wondering what had spooked her so much. when i told her what i found and where it normally was she asked "you dont hink they threw it at her?" I told her i couldn't imagine that they would have but i reminded her that i had heard rumors about these guys using pitchforks to make feline extermination runs at their dairy barn. so at this point (knowing that there was nothing I could "prove" I took the mirror and went to their porch and smashed it on the chain link fence and tossed it on their porch and left. The damage had been done and there was nothing I could do about it especially since I couldnt prove anything. It took me a further 2 years to get her over her fear of young men in general and then young men in stranglers, tshirts, and ball caps another year after that, thanks to some help from my friends.

my $.02

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I know I'd be putting on my high happy voice, greeting the person with joy (so if I'm my dog's leader they'll know he's ok) at the same time handing off some liver/cheese/chicken/roastbeef/pizza/WHATEVER my dog loves to the person to offer.

I'd also make sure I continued with dog classes and socialization so my pup would continue to learn from my leadership. Tons of new people in and out of my house. Every week. My dogs shouldn't distrust ANYONE if I'm saying that same person is ok. When I have the leadership role down and my dog is looking to me, this works out well. Not saying my dogs have to LOVE everyone, just know they are ok if I say they are ok.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
This could be one of two things: either he's got a problem with something they're wearing, like a hat or perfume or a beard, or he doesn't like them personally. I have found that on the rare occasion that my dogs don't like someone for no apparent reason, they were right. So now I trust their judgment and don't force my dogs on that person and I back off from that person too.

If this is just because of something external about people, then you need to try and desensitize them so this problem doesn't get out of hand.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I'm with Elaine. If it's not a matter of him not liking their clothing and he just has a PERSONAL dislike of someone, I listen to my dog. I posted a story about this just today in the Stories Section...

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
If you are nervous that the dog is going to have a bad reaction, then he will definitely pick up on that. Also, if your BF is nervous that the dog is going to bark, then the dog will sense that fear as well.

·
Registered
367 Posts
. I have found that on the rare occasion that my dogs don't like someone for no apparent reason, they were right. So now I trust their judgment and don't force my dogs on that person and I back off from that person too.
agre'ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts