German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My puppy is 16weeks and knows the come command and is reliable 95% of the time. However, sometimes she ignores it even though she knows she can get a good treat. She has got into dangerous situations because of not listening.

I know that it's a mistake for a dog to learn there is no consequence for ignoring the command.

What should I do in this case?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Keep her on a very long lead, and do not call her,unless you are sure that you can make her follow through.
It is way too early for corrections. Just set her up to succeed.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
This is why Stella is on a long line. She ran into the road once back in her off leash days....

Don't correct her for not coming back at this point. I think a lot of positive reinforcement when she comes is good and a long line prevents any mishaps.

I have started using an e collar for recall training. But your pup is a bit young for that.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
You don't. She will self correct.
What I do when I practice the come command is to keep the end of the lead in my hand, and call when it doesn't look as if he will get tangled. If he doesn't come I give a little tug. Then we have a party when he does arrive.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
You don't. She will self correct.
What I do when I practice the come command is to keep the end of the lead in my hand, and call when it doesn't look as if he will get tangled. If he doesn't come I give a little tug. Then we have a party when he does arrive.
This^^^

And I have become quite acrobatic with the long line!!! :D

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
And I have become quite acrobatic with the long line!!! :D
:wild:
Yeah, sometimes I feel as if I'm doing double Dutch.
Once it got wrapped around my ankle. I was very lucky that nothing horrible happened -- well, except for a nasty leash burn.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I worked my way up to a 30 foot biothane line. I started shorter.

I actually did get knocked on my butt once. Stella got the zoomies and was racing back and forth like a lunatic. The line caught my foot and I went BOOM. Fortunately nothing too serious except a sore back and butt for a few days.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
I have a 20 cotton and a 30 Biothane.
Also good for letting him out to do his business when I don't feel like going with him.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Generally if the dog goes wild trying to break free to go after another dog etc., do you just restrain her when she doesn't respond to anything - treats, toys etc.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
I wish I could reply to this. I have no experience with that behavior.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
keep her leashed untill she is reliable. train with a leash
and long line. as she learns add distractions.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you say she will self correct regarding getting tangled, do you mean that she will learn how to walk or run without tangling herself?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
When Riley ignores the come command I start from the beginning on how I trained him to come. He never gets away with it. If I ask him to come he will eventually come. I just need to have patience until he succeeds.

He's a puppy and I've been told they go through a regression stage. I just stay on top of it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When Riley ignores the come command I start from the beginning on how I trained him to come. He never gets away with it. If I ask him to come he will eventually come. I just need to have patience until he succeeds.

He's a puppy and I've been told they go through a regression stage. I just stay on top of it.
Do you ever need to give the command twice or apply a physical correction or an automatic correction if he goes further than your lease?

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
What you need to do is get a prong collar, and fasten it around your neck. The moment you realize you are putting your puppy in a potentially dangerous situation, give yourself a solid correction.

This is a 16 week old puppy we are talking about. Corrections are for puppies and dogs that have mastered a command in every situation, and has chosen not to perform the command. That doesn't happen at 16 weeks. Or, a puppy can get really good about putting its bottom on the ground when you have a goodie, but training at 16 weeks should be very positive.

If you correct a dog for not coming, chances are, you will have a LOT more difficulty getting your puppy to master the come command. Simply do not give the command unless you are in a position to enforce it. What does this mean? If your puppy is on lead or a line and you are training, use the command. In all other situations just make yourself more exciting than anything else. Dig in your pocket like you are getting a treat, Do not tell him come, but call his name. If you are outside of a safe place and he slipped his collar or you dropped the leash, call his name and run in the opposite direction.

Having a good recall is so important that you don't want to mess it up.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Do you ever need to give the command twice or apply a physical correction or an automatic correction if he goes further than your lease?
Yes in giving the command twice, but no physical corrections. He is a puppy. He is still learning and 98% of the time he does come the first time. Then sometimes he tests his limits, so we work it out. I'm more into positive training.

Due to the fact he is still learning we have not practiced in public or non fenced areas. So, he has never gone further than my lease.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Corrections are for one-year-old dogs, and older.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts