German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking perhaps always having her on a fifteen meter lead or so which i did in the past but i'm always concerned about it catching her legs.....it's a pain to use aswell.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Have you worked with a trainer experienced with german shepherds? A trainer can give some insightful feedback on your handling skills. Practice, practice, practice, obedience skills. Incorporate obedience into every aspect of your dog's life. Even when just playing with my dog, he has to obey a command, e.g. sit, drop, touch my keys, before I throw the frisbee. Takes a second, we're both having fun. The reason is to make obedience a habit, not an option. Nothing in Life is Free (NILF).

·
Super Moderator
6,285 Posts
If he ignores up close as well as distant it's time to start over.Maybe he doesn't really understand the command or not enough practice in different places.They don't understand the same rules apply no matter where you are unless you practice at those places.First on a leash until you achieve 100% compliance.Then distance in baby steps .Like me,you've probably seen some exasperated owners exclaiming"Well he always listens at home!":)

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Don't give him the opportunity to ignore you. Work close until he gets it and you are sure he knows what he's doing. Don't work at a distance until he is proofed up close. Once he sees he can ignore you from a distance, he will realize he never needs to pay attention to you. I agree with Dogma, start over.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You don't give a lot of information but it could be that you just don't have a good working relationship with this dog. Before you get upset by that comment, I was there. I had a very confident dominant dog that didn't trust me and really wasn't that interested with me because I did not know how to play with a high drive bite dog. I was more an adversary taking things away from him. I found an excellent trainer that helped me restructure our relationship through play. This trainer had worked extensively with Ivan Balabanov so you can research him. Also Michael Ellis would do this too. Both on youtube. But it sounds like you have to up the play, fun factor so this dog is coming to you and working for you to get at the reward of structured play.

·
Registered
906 Posts
i'm thinking perhaps always having her on a fifteen meter lead or so which i did in the past but i'm always concerned about it catching her legs.....it's a pain to use aswell.

thanks.
I live in the inner-city, so when not on our property, my dog is always on a leash or long-line. Even when swimming, he wears a floating long line.
I always want to have quick access to him...including to make corrections.

For me it's a great tool for playing and training.
My male GSD is 22 months. And I'd say that aside from walking on leash and basic commands, all of his training is done through game playing at a field.
I wouldn't know of any other way to train him without a long line.

The fields we go to are nicely maintained and free of trees, shrubs and anything else his line can get stuck on.
And I watch carefully for knots in the line and it doesn't happen a lot but sometimes a leg will get wrapped up but that usually only happens when we use the flirt pole. I watch for it and fix it.

I absolutely understand your concern about legs getting caught up. That could definitely be a bad injury. And I can see why you'd think of it as a pain.
I always feel like trainers should give a class on how to use it safely.

My former GSD was aggressive and his trainer taught me how to use the long line. So, I used it for 11 years before we got Finn.
He doesn't know that he's not free and he enjoys the same freedom to run and play. He thinks he's off leash when he's on a long line.

I guess a shock collar is pretty much the same idea.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts