German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a little back ground info, she is 6 weeks old we have her in a wire crate in the kitchen, with a few old t shirts and chew toys. We have a divider in the crate to make the area just big enough for her to get in a turn around. So far I she hasn't had an accident but she does whine all night. She actually whines so much I hate taking her out to potty(which she does just fine) because I feel like I might be re enforcing the whining, even though I only take her out at set intervals. She is guaranteed to be whining at one of those times. Some people suggest moving her into the bed room. Others suggest just putting a puppy pad in her crate and not letting her our all night, however we seem to have no house breaking issues so I am not sure if I want to try that. Anyway I am open to suggestions for a decent nights sleep, I don't mind taking her out to potty every few hours I just don't want her to whine for 6 to 7 hours straight.

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
If you put her in your bedroom, cover the top of the crate, and leave a radio on low or a ticking clock. You should have a better night sleep.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
yes, moving her into the bedroom will most likely guarantee you all a good nights' sleep. A friend had the same problem, only her pup slept in the laundry room. She moved the pup's crate in the bedroom near their bed and little Daisy slept sound. I also would suggest that you put a blanket or towel over the top of the crate, and 3 sides (but not by the door) to give her some enclosed space. A soft cuddly toy is also a comforting bedtime companion. I would put that in the crate also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay good deal, another question. I am not sure I want the big wire crate in my bedroom, i may just leave that one in the long term confinement area we have. What about using one of the plastic crates? Also is it okay to take her to the vet in the same crate she sleeps in?

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
You might want to use your wire crate you got for her. This is not an over night thing, it will be there a while. She will feel a lot safer where she sleeps and gets your smells from you in there. The plastic travel carrier will be great for the vet and car traveling. I did not want a wire crate in my bedroom either :) It is still there. Jonas feels right at home in there.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I had a plastic crate that we used to bring our boy home in. The first couple of weeks he slept in that at night until I moved him to his wire crate.

I put his crate next to my bed. Whenever he whined I put a few fingers in the crate, shhhh & that seemed to sooth him. I didn't do it every single time. But he adjusted very well.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I had a plastic crate that we used to bring our boy home in. The first couple of weeks he slept in that at night until I moved him to his wire crate.

I put his crate next to my bed. Whenever he whined I put a few fingers in the crate, shhhh & that seemed to sooth him. I didn't do it every single time. But he adjusted very well.
I did the same, smaller crate initially then as the pup grew moved it into a larger metal crate. If your pup is only 6 weeks old then a smaller crate is fine and should fit beside your bed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Okay good deal, another question. I am not sure I want the big wire crate in my bedroom, i may just leave that one in the long term confinement area we have. What about using one of the plastic crates? Also is it okay to take her to the vet in the same crate she sleeps in?
We also have separate sturdy and light plastic crate for travel. At home we got a life stages midwest crate since gsd grow so fast and we need to adjust the size of the crate easily. To make the crate more presentable, we got this wood crate cover that actually turn it into a table, like this one Merry Products Cage with Crate Cover very presentable.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
At six weeks old, she is a baby. Usually the earliest a breeder will release a dog is 8 weeks. I'd put her right next to you in the bedroom, put something with your smell in the crate. I'd be a spoiler and put her next to me in the bed for a while.

·
Registered
156 Posts
We used a big wire crate, divider, blanket on top. Started ours out right next to the bed, I woke up every 4 hours the first week, then 5, 6, 7, until she made it through a whole night. After a month, I slowly transitioned the crate from next to the bed, to the door, then out into the hallway and then eventually all they way down from our bedroom. Never had a crying pup except during the days sometimes. It really should make a difference.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I also used the plastic travel crate in my bedroom until Lakota got too big. It's very convenient to have 2 crates.

·
Registered
61 Posts

This is exactly what I did as well, Courtney is totally right, and it worked like a charm. This sounds like a scared pup with separation anxiety. Now, my GSD prefers to be out of the bedroom and downstairs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts