German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kai is now 6 months old.

For the past 3 days he has been showing weird behavior.

Kai is in a indoor run when we are not around or cant watch him if a certain reason. He's been in there ever since we got him at 8 weeks and never had a problem with it. Usually it takes him about 1-3 minutes to settle when placed in there. He just lays down and closes his eyes or plays with what ever is in there (i dont keep toys in there when we are not around).

For the past 3 days when ever he is placed in the run (when we are having dinner mainly) he practically goes mental in there. He barks, pants, jumps up on the run and hurts himself (barks in pain). He does not settle, this has gone on for about 30 mins. This only happens in the evenings. During the day he does not display this behavior he just simply lays down.

When he does these things i take him toilet to see if that is the problem. He goes pee or nothing at all then i put him back in. He barks pants constently. I then give him some water. He drinks it all then i put him back and the same thing. Its not because he has not had excersise because before we have dinner i make sure he's been walked and played with.

The strange thing is ive never seen him do this before and he does not display this during the day.

Whats up with him?

I dont want to let him out when he barks and pants 'screams' as i dont want him to learn that will get him what he wants

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Evening crazies and Kaie is growing up. He doesn't want to stay in the run anymore. He wants to be with you. If there is any way, include him. Feed him first, then he has to be on the down/stay while you eat. It can be done - the Monks of New Skete show how this is done in their book How To Be Your Dog's Best Friend. If you don't want to do that, be sure to give Kaie a good walk and playtime first - then put him in his run with his supper and toys - ignore any panting. If he barks - tell him firmly to be quiet. No matter how much he carries on - don't open the gate. Just ignore him, he will carry on for a time to test you, but once he learns that you won't give in, he'll settle down and you can eat in peace.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I also think that he wants to be with you. Is there a reason why he has to be put away while your at dinner? Its pretty simple to train them not to come into the area where you are eating. All three of my dogs do not cross "the line" when its dinner time.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I agree, he wants to be with you. Ours will lay in the living room which connects with the dinning room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts