German Shepherds Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
191 Posts
Just because there are bad board and trains doesn’t mean they are all abusive or inadequate trainers. If people spent as much time vetting trainers as they do finding a breeder (when they do, I’m thinking of most of us here), those bad trainers would be out of business. I’ve never used a board and train because I want to do my own training, but if I had to for good reasons, I would.
I never said they were all bad of course, I know there's some very good trainers and boarding places, but personally I'm just too paranoid to ever do so, I would want someone to work with my dog AND me together if I was to ever hire one.

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
I was a military and police trainer, and I have board and trained for decades.

I've also been approached by several top notch breeders about putting foundation training on their pups.

While I agree that it takes a huge amount of faith to send a dog away, particularly a puppy, I believe some trainers are worthy of trust and they do a great job. These trainers are very transparent in their methods and are open to the client being part of the training process.

I allow anyone to accompany me on adventures and to take part in as much of the training as they can. Most people trust me after they meet me, my family and my dogs. If you watch Valor and me interact, you can tell he trusts me and has no fear of me.

I just hate to see board and train programs painted with such a wide brush. Stonnie Dennis, Larry Krohn, Ivan Balabanov, Tyler Muto, all have board and train programs.
I told you before, you are one of the few I would trust my dogs with.
I have no issue with board and trains, my issue is with crappy trainers. I am suspicious and protective by nature. It goes against my instinct to hand the leash over.

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
191 Posts
I was a military and police trainer, and I have board and trained for decades.

I've also been approached by several top notch breeders about putting foundation training on their pups.

While I agree that it takes a huge amount of faith to send a dog away, particularly a puppy, I believe some trainers are worthy of trust and they do a great job. These trainers are very transparent in their methods and are open to the client being part of the training process.

I allow anyone to accompany me on adventures and to take part in as much of the training as they can. Most people trust me after they meet me, my family and my dogs. If you watch Valor and me interact, you can tell he trusts me and has no fear of me.

I just hate to see board and train programs painted with such a wide brush. Stonnie Dennis, Larry Krohn, Ivan Balabanov, Tyler Muto, all have board and train programs.
Those are some of the few I'd trust my dog to board and train with for sure, and 2 of them are in my state! Definitely gonna get in contact with them in the future hopefully, maybe for a new pup🤭

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I never said they were all bad of course, I know there's some very good trainers and boarding places, but personally I'm just too paranoid to ever do so, I would want someone to work with my dog AND me together if I was to ever hire one.
My trainer does that. I used him for private lesson and and group classes but he also does board and train/owner train. I saw a video of a puppy he took for a few weeks when the owners had a crawling baby and realized it wasn’t working out so well, due to poor timing in getting the dog. The dog wasn’t hurting the baby but trying to play and was too rough. He did a short obedience and manners course with the dog then several sessions in the home. When the dog is older, he will work with them on advanced field training.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Honestly, this is why board and train programs can be so dangerous. You have no idea how the dog is being treated behind closed doors, and as someone that used to work at a boarding facility that also trained dogs, I would be extremely wary of any B&T program. Of course there are some good programs, but the vast majority of them are terrible. I had to quit my job because I was so sickened by what I saw on a regular basis by the other trainers. Good dogs completely ruined by the “training.”

This video is much more extreme than I ever saw, but it still doesn’t shock me at all. I know of a board and train facility in my area (that got shut down) that literally used cattle prods to train their dogs. I saw the footage a former employee took. Not okay, and of course the owners of said dogs had no idea.

*I don’t know if this video is from a board and train program, but that’s what it reminded me of
I completely agree. Anytime you trust you animal friend to another person behind closed doors....whether at a board and train or a vet....it's so risky. That's why I changed vets recently. I wanted to go into the exam room with my pup and they didn't allow it. Ok....I'll go somewhere else. It's so easy to say you are a "trainer". There is no certification you have to meet in order to claim the title. It's so so sad and makes me so angry to watch that video. UUUUUGGGHHHHHH! POOR PUPPY!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
This is schutzhund training. AND this is never exceptable. I use to train a
Old school and modern. I trained with one of the best trainers world wide. And had my dog trained by him.
That’s not schutzhund training. That sleeve he is using is one you would start a dog on if you wanted them to do suit work. You can teach the dog to bite it and then use it to teach the dog targeting.

·
Registered
Carmspack Gus
3,635 Posts
This is schutzhund training. AND this is never exceptable. I use to train a
Old school and modern. I trained with one of the best trainers world wide. And had my dog trained by him.
I’m confused by your comment, you’re ok with this trainers methods?
This trainer trained your dog?

41 - 49 of 49 Posts