German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
I really wish I wouldn't have watched this. I watched it, went for a run with Willow, and it's still bothering me. I look at Willow and think, that could've been you, with a broken hip and leg because of some human when you were just a little bitey puppy who didn't know any better.

We don't deserve dogs.
I'm with you, took Oskar out and threw the ball for him for awhile. We do deserve dogs, SOME people don't, and that guy is one of them. Never would be one of my dogs, that's why I'm always pushing, find a trainer, that will train YOU to train your dog. I've never been a fan of the, now popular, board and train places, but I grew up paranoid.

·
Registered
423 Posts
@Roscoe618 - Thanks so much for that update, figured it'd happened awhile ago, these things always hit the internet months later. Good to hear the outcome of the pup also. You could tell from the video that the pup probably suffered a pelvic fracture.

I've searched and all the info on the internet dated recent, Florida news, Texas news, where did you find that it was months ago? I can't find any info on the pup's status on line either, where'd you find that info?

·
Registered
Athena, GSD, dob 5/2021
112 Posts
I didn't watch the video (that kind of thing makes me physically ill). Judging from all the comments, it sounds like some of the horror anecdotes I have heard. This is exactly why we chose to train Thena ourselves, notwithstanding our complete dearth of experience. In the event that we ever need a professional trainer, we plan to hire one who will help US work with our dog. NO ONE is getting any sort of temporary custody of Thena in any way. NO ONE.

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
191 Posts
This made me sick to my stomach, ive seen people use this method before, mostly police K9 academies, but usually on grass, which doesn't make it any better, but the thought of the concrete made me even more queasy. Surprised other stuff hasn't come out about other fractures/breaks he's caused. I hope whoever is involved get what they deserve.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I’m glad to say I didn’t watch it. I will take your word for it. I used a very popular trainer who kicked my dog. He was showing me how you could give your dog a nudge from behind with your foot, but he slipped and got him right in the side, He said it was an accident, he meant to just shove him in the rump to startle the dog, but I fired the man anyway. I was appalled. it didn’t work, either.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
This made me sick to my stomach, ive seen people use this method before, mostly police K9 academies, but usually on grass, which doesn't make it any better, but the thought of the concrete made me even more queasy. I think its called "hanging" something like that, correct me if im wrong. Surprised other stuff hasn't come out about other fractures/breaks he's caused. I hope whoever is involved get what they deserve.
That is not hanging a dog.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After all your comments I will not watch. I watched the stupid one posted in K9-1 on bonking etc. and they did some kind of helicopter move and hanging!! I can not get those images out of my head and wish I had never watched it. The whole idea of the video was to educate people on what kind of trainers are out there, but the images just made me sick.

·
Registered
8,912 Posts
This made me sick to my stomach, ive seen people use this method before, mostly police K9 academies, but usually on grass, which doesn't make it any better, but the thought of the concrete made me even more queasy. Surprised other stuff hasn't come out about other fractures/breaks he's caused. I hope whoever is involved get what they deserve.
No legit trainer would do this, and no department would condone a handler doing it. It was nauseating to watch, and a prime example of why I let very few people near my dogs.

·
Registered
Charlie (DOB 11/24/20)
191 Posts
No legit trainer would do this, and no department would condone a handler doing it. It was nauseating to watch, and a prime example of why I let very few people near my dogs.
of course, I know the way I worded it made it sound like police K9 academies use this method regularly, but I mostly mean the few insistences I've seen this used has been in that setting, and I think the trainers were punished, hopefully.

I feel the same, with all the horror stories I see when it comes to sending any animal off for training/board i would never do it.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
of course, I know the way I worded it made it sound like police K9 academies use this method regularly, but I mostly mean the few insistences I've seen this used has been in that setting, and I think the trainers were punished, hopefully.

I feel the same, with all the horror stories I see when it comes to sending any animal off for training/board i would never do it.
Just because there are bad board and trains doesn’t mean they are all abusive or inadequate trainers. If people spent as much time vetting trainers as they do finding a breeder (when they do, I’m thinking of most of us here), those bad trainers would be out of business. I’ve never used a board and train because I want to do my own training, but if I had to for good reasons, I would.

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,610 Posts
I was a military and police trainer, and I have board and trained for decades.

I've also been approached by several top notch breeders about putting foundation training on their pups.

While I agree that it takes a huge amount of faith to send a dog away, particularly a puppy, I believe some trainers are worthy of trust and they do a great job. These trainers are very transparent in their methods and are open to the client being part of the training process.

I allow anyone to accompany me on adventures and to take part in as much of the training as they can. Most people trust me after they meet me, my family and my dogs. If you watch Valor and me interact, you can tell he trusts me and has no fear of me.

I just hate to see board and train programs painted with such a wide brush. Stonnie Dennis, Larry Krohn, Ivan Balabanov, Tyler Muto, all have board and train programs.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
I was a military and police trainer, and I have board and trained for decades.

I've also been approached by several top notch breeders about putting foundation training on their pups.

While I agree that it takes a huge amount of faith to send a dog away, particularly a puppy, I believe some trainers are worthy of trust and they do a great job. These trainers are very transparent in their methods and are open to the client being part of the training process.

I allow anyone to accompany me on adventures and to take part in as much of the training as they can. Most people trust me after they meet me, my family and my dogs. If you watch Valor and me interact, you can tell he trusts me and has no fear of me.

I just hate to see board and train programs painted with such a wide brush. Stonnie Dennis, Larry Krohn, Ivan Balabanov, Tyler Muto, all have board and train programs.
We would all like to have the chance to go with you and watch you train.

·
Registered
Carmspack Gus
3,635 Posts
That is not hanging a dog.
He started out with hanging and proceeded to end with smashi
Just because there are bad board and trains doesn’t mean they are all abusive or inadequate trainers. If people spent as much time vetting trainers as they do finding a breeder (when they do, I’m thinking of most of us here), those bad trainers would be out of business. I’ve never used a board and train because I want to do my own training, but if I had to for good reasons, I would.
I think the fear for me would be not knowing what is going on and depending on the dog, many won’t pickup on subtle negative changes.

David
I’d send Katie and Gus down to you for board and train without blinking.

·
Administrator
The Nerd Herder
6,610 Posts
21 - 40 of 49 Posts