German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Penny has NEVER been a chewer... her bones/chews that she likes yes but I have never gone through shoes or anything for that matter, and I can leave her uncrated for a pretty decent time and she just sleeps while Im gone...

The last I dunno week she has turned into a monster! She still doesnt chew while Im either A. Not in the room or B. Not at home... but while Im in the room even if I try to redirect she has been going after ; the TV the Stereo stand, the coffee table and the couch (while im sitting on it!) I give her her leave it command she she blatantly disobeys and continues on her destructive behavior!

What the heck is with this!?! She has never been like this and now all the sudden the corner to my couch is destroyed and I have teeth and chew marks on all the wood!

What the heck is causing this behavior? I will also mention that she has never liked to sleep on the couch or even lay in bed with me but the last week she has started to which I mean I dont mind but its just not her!

Any suggestions how to stop this behavior, and I will say I tried the bitter apple spray and it did not work a single bit but I did get some in my mouth and OMG is all I have to say lol... Also I have tried keeping her on her leash and giving a leash correction which doesnt work and neither does any of her command she just ignores me and continues, I had a muzzle that I used for a foster dog and just had laying around in my huge pile of dog stuff and that worked for a few times she would go laydown and sulk she didnt even try to get it off! But now she just takes her front teeth and tries to keep chewing!

OMG please help me!

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And yes she gets plenty of exercise up to 3 hours a day and no less than 2 hours.. she even does it after 15 mins hard running while doing the flirt pole followed by an hour walk followed by 15 mins when we get home of the flirt pole again!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My dog isn't normally a chewer either, but today I came home to paper everywhere...yep she ate my son's homework. And the picture is only one area..there was paper everywhere. Since she doesn't normally do this, I just gave her the evil eye and said a few choice words while she laid on the couch looking at me:D

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/images/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I agree teething. In her mind, the only things that make her teeth feel better is all that stuff she cannot have. Be careful, she might destroy something when you are not there. Just because she has not done it yet, doesn't mean she won't

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She is 6 month and one week old... She has all of her adult teeth and she has had them for about 3 weeks now... This is still teething?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
watch her closely. "leave it" or "no" along with a verbal
correction. for a strng verbal correction i use to make my
dog sit in front of me. i put my hand under his jaw and lift his
head so he would look at me and i verbally corrected. if needed
i raised my voice. when i couldn't watch my pup he was crated.

when my dog was 4 months old he was no longer crated. from
4 months old to 8 months old everything was fine. then at
8 months old he decided to eat the house and everything
that's in it. from 8 months old to 1 yr old maybe 1.5 yrs old
he was crated. he was only crated when we weren't home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts