German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life.

One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"

He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers:"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

To stress his point he said to another guest; "You're a teacher,
Bonnie. Be honest. What do you make?"

Bonnie, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, "You want to know what I make? (She paused for a second, then began...)

"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.

I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor winner.

I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 without an I Pod, Game Cube or movie rental.

You want to know what I make?" (She paused again and looked at each and every person at the table.)

I make kids wonder.
I make them question
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.
I teach them to write and then I make them write. Keyboarding isn't everything.
I make them read, read, read
I make them show all their work in math. They use their God given brain, not the man-made calculator.
I make my students from other countries learn everything they need to know about English while preserving their unique cultural identity.
I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.
I make my students stand, placing their hand over their heart to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, One Nation Under God, because we live in the United States of America!
Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life."

(Bonnie paused one last time and then continued.)
"Then, when people try to judge me by what I make, with me knowing money isn't everything, I can hold my head up high and pay no attention because they are ignorant.... You want to know what I make?

I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make Mr. CEO?"

His jaw dropped, he went silent.

·
Registered
927 Posts
That is awesome! Teachers are our greatest resources but yet they are given no respect!

·
Banned
3,955 Posts
That probably can from a teacher that doesn`t believe in the NEA`s quest for mediocrity or else a parochial school teacher.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Originally Posted By: butrfngrzDon't you think this is true of (hopefully most!) teachers?
The heart might be in the right place but the results speak for themselves; the US ranks in the bottom 50% in most studies of worldwide educational statistics.

Most of the list is pure fantasy, IMO.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Wow, not to get in to a debate on teachers... But I think for the items listed, my kids' teachers have lived up to these expectations - in public schools no less. And, yes, the parents and students are ingredients in the recipe of success, but the teachers have a lot to do with it, too. I have always said that an involved parent and willing child can overcome any bad teacher, but when teachers are doing the right thing, why discount that?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Originally Posted By: MayzieGSDAnd this is due to the teachers?
Not the parents or the students themselves???
If I work on a project and it doesn't end successfully, then it's my responsibility; should it not be the same for teachers?

If they want the credit for some students getting good grades, then they need to take at least some of the blame for the failures.

·
Banned
3,955 Posts
I think there are tons of absolutely great teachers, and wonderful idealistic teachers coming out of colleges. There is no way to reward the great ones as the union has seen to that.
Teachers are called or want to be called professional. Most professionals are not union and are compensated for their performance.
It`s not the teachers that killed education... it`s the union (NEA), greedy administrators and non involved parents.

·
Registered
243 Posts
One reason we score so low in the U.S. is because we believe in education for ALL students. Education is not denied to any student. Other countries do not include some students in their testing... so not really a fair comparision.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
You can hardly compare teaching to any other "project" - if test scores are even an accurate measure of learning, teachers can really only do so much when parents don't teach their children to value education, when parents aren't present, when kids are too lazy to even do their homework (again the parents fault), when children have learning disabilities or are neglected or abused... All of these things can affect children's performance and their ability to learn. Teachers can only do so much (even though most I have known try to do it all). Sure, teachers have a lot of responsibility in preparing and teaching the material, but really to blame low test scores 100% on teachers, I think, is wrong.

·
Registered
16,424 Posts
Not teachers alone - but the programs & procedures that are in place for them to follow. Parents needs to participate in their children's lives more, sure.... but so many teachers don't think outside the box when it comes to education.
I agree w/ kutzro. Bad teachers are treated as well as good ones. They are not all wonderful.
"So and so has to sit in a chair for 7 hours a day & not move while we drone on & on. The bad kid isn't paying attention" duh!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Originally Posted By: mygsdpattonOne reason we score so low in the U.S. is because we believe in education for ALL students. Education is not denied to any student. Other countries do not include some students in their testing... so not really a fair comparision.
Well these countries all score better in literacy levels for 15 years than the USA and they all believe in universal education, so I'm not sure your statement is accurate:

Finland
Korea, Republic of
Canada
Australia
Liechtenstein
New Zealand
Ireland
Sweden
Netherlands
United Kingdom
Belgium
Norway
Switzerland
Japan
Poland
France

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Originally Posted By: kutzro357I think there are tons of absolutely great teachers, and wonderful idealistic teachers coming out of colleges. There is no way to reward the great ones as the union has seen to that.
Teachers are called or want to be called professional. Most professionals are not union and are compensated for their performance.
It`s not the teachers that killed education... it`s the union (NEA), greedy administrators and non involved parents.
While I agree with most of that last sentence, I would add-in fact put near the top of the list - the state/local governments/agencies responsible for the funding and management of our educational systems. Too many teachers are paying out of pocket for resources when those resources should already be there. I've seen people intending on going into teaching, discouraged and walking away - a lot of the cause rolling right up to the lack of "support" from all the way from the top of the chain. Demands for results without the providing of the resources to actually meet those demands. Basically a system that now seems to be a system to create failure.

The teachers that succeed are those that can ignore those pressures and go on in spite of those obstacles places in front of them by their leaders.

·
Banned
3,955 Posts
I think the reality is that teachers pay in Pennsylvania, NJ and NY is plenty. It is after all a public service job. I don`t think a teacher should have any out of pocket classroom expenses. I do believe in some sort of merit pay. I think one big culprit in education is the union and it`s tenure.
I am not unsympathetic. My one DIL is a teacher, My other DIL has to take her praxis, My BIL is an administrator and my wife is the Benefits Coordinator at the district.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Originally Posted By: kutzro357I think the reality is that teachers pay in Pennsylvania, NJ and NY is plenty. It is after all a public service job.
Disagree with you there. Look at it this way: your child sees his/her doctor 3-4 times a year. A doctor makes $150,000+ per year. A teacher sees your child 180 days a year, and, in very many ways, is reponsible for your child's future. A teacher makes $35-55,000 per year, depending on length of service and area.

I will never complain about teachers' salaries and/or benefits, whether I pay for them through my taxes or not; and if possible, I will lobby for higher salaries wherever possible.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
In your area of PA the pay is good.

When I worked at a private, Catholic school in NW PA (and I realize of course my pay would be much lower anyway) and went to a conference with teachers from some of the very nice E. PA suburban schools I was pretty astounded by their pay. And their unions-which we did not have.

However, it varies greatly by district and region in the US. In semi-rural WNY, starting pay is probably around $30,000 in a public school and you have to have an MS/MA to teach ($$$$). In rural NY even less. And I spent plenty out of pocket to do the nicer things for the kids that perhaps were paid for by the district in a upper middle class suburban school.

Kids are not projects-they are people, and come with a lot of complications that can't be fixed by simply troubleshooting as if they were inanimate. Spend a day at a Headstart and see that first hand. We are a large country with a lot of problems and I certainly can't imagine blaming teachers for it, and just as in any profession there are AMAZING teachers and then ones I would have liked to...removed from the building on permanent sabbatical!

·
Banned
3,955 Posts
Originally Posted By: GrandJan
Originally Posted By: kutzro357I think the reality is that teachers pay in Pennsylvania, NJ and NY is plenty. It is after all a public service job.
Disagree with you there. Look at it this way: your child sees his/her doctor 3-4 times a year. A doctor makes $150,000+ per year. A teacher sees your child 180 days a year, and, in very many ways, is responsible for your child's future. A teacher makes $35-55,000 per year, depending on length of service and area.

I will never complain about teachers' salaries and/or benefits, whether I pay for them through my taxes or not; and if possible, I will lobby for higher salaries wherever possible.
We`re low at PV and we start at 35K top rate is almost 80K average well over 55K. That`s not even a 8 hour day.
Defined benefit pension plan, best BC/BS and almost impossible to get fired.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts