German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a doggie door in the wall for my toy poodles. We want Harley to learn how to go outside that way too, so my question is... what size? I don't want to do this twice, should I get the largest size? Here are the dimensions:
Pet Opening​
9 3/4" x 17"​
Rough Cut Required​
11 1/4" x 19"​
Exterior Frame​
14" x 21 1/2"​
Doesn't seem big enough...
Anyone have a doggie door, and what size do you have?
Thanks. We'll be putting it in in the spring, when the weather warms up.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm at a friends house right now. but I THINK the dimensions of the doggie door at my house are:

12 inches wide by 18 inches tall and it's mounted about 8 inches off the floor. My rather large framed GSD blows thru it at Mach 3 and only very occasionally rubs his back. I went a schooch low as I have a Corgi that uses it as well, and her legs are just a wee bit shorter.

If I just had a GSD I'd shoot for 3-4 inches higher than it's shoulder height for the top of the opening.

If the door itself is plastic, I'd advise purchasing an extra door as I've had to mend mine several times. Sometimes Banjo sprints thru the door and in cold weather the plastic isn't up to the job and breaks.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
I have had a doggie door and it has lasted at least 10 years. Get the largest size that fits your GSD without being too large. The smaller dogs will learn to cope with the size.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I will get the one I posted. We are putting it in as soon as the weather gets warm enough to enlarge the hole without us freezing or getting wet!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts