German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to the forum but I've been reading the threads for some time. My family and I are going to be getting a GSD puppy sometime this summer and were wondering what size crate he will need when fully grown. We already have a smallish crate for our 25 lb dog and will use it when he is a puppy. I was looking at Petsmart and they recommend a crate that is 48x30x33 (91-110 lbs). Is this about right? I'd like to know so I can start looking on Craigslist or at yard sales so I can find a deal. My cousin's GSD is a female that is about 7 months old and around 60 lbs so I figure this size should work but I just wanted to double check. Hopefully by the time our pup is full grown the crate will only be used occasionally like we do for our dog now (like when the repair man is over or when we need to leave the front door open for any length of time).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found a crate at Wal-mart on clearance and it was 42" long and for dogs under 90 pounds so I went ahead and bought it. I put it together and it seems huge!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
our boy is 10 months old and his crate can hold a Great Dane. i just didn't want him cramped up. we never leave him in his crate longer than 4 or 5 hours. we have a sitter come in and take care of him if it's going to be longer than 4 or 5 hours. about the door. teach your dog not to walk out of the door because it's open. i leave our door open and i have people come over with they're dogs, walk into our yard and call our Shep and he won't walk out of the door. teaching him this was very easy.

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
A huge crate sounds about right. I didn't bother with a smaller crate for them as puppies either. The only crate wreck we had was when one got sick with explosive diahrea (sp) - Oh that was nasty but better in the crate than all over the house.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well middleofnowhere I've been there with the explosive diarrhea in the crate and I agree it is way better than all over the house. Our dog is 7 years old and we have trained her not to run out the door but I still play it safe if we are hauling lots of stuff in and out, especially if people other than our immediate family are helping (not everyone is dog savvy). Lucy (our dog) used to run run run anytime she got the chance but we got her CGC certified about 3 years ago and she is a different dog.

·
Registered
163 Posts
42" crates are okay, but I would recommend the 48" crate for a GSD to give them that extra room if they grow particularly long!

Petsmart have the basic 48" for about $90 i think. We paid $115 i think for our 2 crates. They are 48" with a divider, so we have been able to use them for our boys as puppies with the divider.

·
Registered
62 Posts
FYI the petsmart near me was willing to match internet pricing on the mid-west life stages crates. I got a 48" for Bruno for under $80. its worth it to call the stores in your area to see if they will do the same for you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I paid $60 for the 42" so I was pretty excited to get it. I went to Petco earlier yesterday and the largest size was 42" and it was $99. I suppose if he outgrows it I will buy another but in the meantime I'm going to stick with the one I got. It is the same model as the one I have for Lucy and I love hers. It has one of those divider things so it can grow with him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts